PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Comments

• Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Don't go to the supermarket hungry. Otherwise you tend you tend to make more impulsive buys.

If like me you have a sweet tooth , instead of buying the expensive ready made fancy buns etc
    just get plain cheap buns or scones then quickly make up a little of your own icing sugar and if you like add a cherry on top!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't be afraid to brand downsize, the majority of stuff we buy now is value and just the same as the expensive brands. it means we have more money for the nicer things in life.

Use old envelopes for shopping lists rather than a specially bought notepad.

Use old body lotion to shine your shoes, a small drop and a lint free cloth and you have nice shiny shoes.

Use bubble bath to fill up handwash dispensers, its much cheaper.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • lhurren
    lhurren Posts: 6 Forumite
    You'd be surprised how much money you save by not taking cash to work.

Since taking butties and leaving my cash at home I never visit the vending machines etc. because I have no money.
  • canis
    canis Posts: 1 Newbie
    Tubes still have quite a lot left in when you can no longer squeeze anything out. If you cut the tube in half you can get at the contents quite easily. Just put the top of the tube back onto the bottom to keep stuff insideclean and usable. I reckon to get another fortnight from a tube of face cream with this trick.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hamsmith wrote: »

i pop the caps in the dishwasher. i do the same with the kids.

:eek::eek::eek:
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    unixgirluk wrote: »

Use old body lotion to shine your shoes, a small drop and a lint free cloth and you have nice shiny shoes.

Or use the inside of a banana skin, it really does work.
  • Bit of a strange one but try to look at the bigger picture in everything you do.

What I mean is always consider the flipside. EG You decide to bake a cake to save money. But to do this you might need to walk to the shops (making you more thirsty/hungry so you buy a snack) , buy the ingredients, spend an hour making it (requiring more washing up/hot water) and 2 hours baking in the oven (requiring a lot of gas/electricity).

Stupid little things maybe but if baking the cake isn't saving you more than these costs it's better just to buy one - even though instinct tells you it's more intially!:think:

Even more extreme could be the diet effect whereby you spend so long being extremely frugal that occasionally you get a bit down and go and buy something expensive and outlandish just to cheer yourself up - kinda defeats the purpose of saving money!

All about balance folks! *Runs off to meditate on life the universe and moneysaving*
  • hamsmith wrote: »
    Loads of ideas. here is a few.

i pop the caps in the dishwasher. i do the same with the kids.

hope these were useful

Gangster MSE?!
  • Regarding washing and reusing plastic bottles - it's controversial whether reusing plastic bottles is potentially hazardous to your health - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuse_of_water_bottles The evidence is slight but personally I err on the side of caution and don't do it - I use a thermos for when I'm out and about instead.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Reuse tea bags, I used to think people that did this were odd, not I think they're odd if they don't!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure