PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Options

Comments

• jet9cat
    jet9cat Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at the "buy 2 for" deals carefully, sometimes you will get a real bargain - others aren't worth it at all!! Don't assume just because it has a big yellow sign in front of it it's going to be cheaper!

Absolutely agree. I was in Boots the other day and their own brand anti-bacterial handwash refills were £1 each or 2 for £1.50. Bargain I thought, until I looked at the originals (which have a pump type thing as aopposed to the refills with just a screw lid) and they were only 69p each so were cheaper than the offer. I had to check twice as the refills used to be cheaper than the originals. You do really have to have your maths brain in gear when shopping to keep an eye on these offers.
    Every penny's a prisoner
    PADding is addictive
    MFW August 2023 - unless I get my butt into gear :D
  • wildthing01
    wildthing01 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    re the washing up liquid - transfer it into a bottle with a smaller hole - so it's harder to squeeze it out - you use far less. i've been going with the same bottle for months now, and before i did this, i was getting through a bottle a month.

charity shops is my other fave tip - i get loads of clothes (nice brands) and pretty much brand new books from my local charity shops.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cashback, definitely! I've had well over £1,000 since I started and that's just on stuff I would've bought anyway.

Taking your own food is also a biggie. I once worked with a girl who used to spend £15 a day on lunch - the thought of spending that much gives me palpitations :rotfl:

I'm not 100% sure if grabbit board is all that money saving, tbh because I always see something that I wanna buy :rotfl: However, I recently got £180 worth of toys for £9 (then cashback :D) from Tesco which I will put past for my daughter's Christmas :T

JackieO wrote: »
    ...I never buy expensive Vanilla extract at £5 + a bottle when I can use the little bottles of essance at a fraction of the price....
    I actually prefer the essence to the extract - the extract tastes far too strongly of alcohol _pale_

My absolute favourite, however, is the vanilla bean paste - certainly not cheap, but by far superior :A
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of really good tips here! My personal biggie is buying stuff isn't a leisure activity. Going shopping shouldn't be the main thing you do for fun! Even if you're getting stuff cheaply, you're still spending money that you might not need to spend!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • staircase2
    staircase2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    tarryflynn wrote: »
    Buy all your fruit and vegetables in the local market rather than supermarkets. I did a price comparison recently here in Wood Green, and everything was at least 30% cheaper in the market. Some produce like broccoli, carrots and Pink Lady apples were 50% cheaper. They probably have a shorter shelf life, but it just means you buy every few days rather than once a week.

What makes you think theyd have a shorter shelf life?! lol

I would assume they probably last longer - simply because they havent been sitting in Mr Tesco's warehouse for 3/4 of their useful shelf life before even coming out into the store!
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use a '50% rule' -
    Use half the recommended amount of washing powder, fabric softener etc
    Dilute full fat milk 50% with water
    Use one teabag for 2 cups of tea
    Cut baby wipes in half if using for cleaning (not recommended if cleaning baby's bum!)
    Cut scourers, j cloths in half
    Plate up a meal then put 50% of it on another plate for the next meal if you're on a diet
    Dilute washing up liquid, cleaning products, shampoo, conditioners, hand wash etc etc 50%

In fact if you look at almost anything and everything you use it can be halved or doubled and no-one will notice the difference - except you and your purse :D
  • lovebargainshatewaste
    Options
    Instead of buying tablets/capsules for the washing machine/dishwasher, use powder. It's easier to control how much you're putting in each wash. I generally use half of the amount recommended on the box, and my clothes are clean.

I don't use fabric conditioner, shock horror :D. Saves me a fortune, I reckon. Also, you shouldn't use conditioner on towels, as it stops the towels from being absorbent to their max capacity.

Grow your own herbs/veg if you can. I've just started doing this with my neighbour and we haven't killed anything yet. Can't wait for the veg to start showing - it's very exciting.

Invent your own recipes, so you can adapt to whatever is in the cupboards/fridge/freezer. What I did today: Boiled carrots and potatoes and quinoa in water with veg stock cube and lots of herbs/spices. I then mashed the pots and carrots when it was ready. Perfectly healthy meal (quinoa is protein), all because I really couldn't be bothered to go to the shops.

Move to the country :D If you're far away from shops, it's not so easy to spend money.

Limit your access to internet sites where you might spend money. Only look at sites selling clothes (as an example) when you actually need something.

If you find it difficult to control your spending on your credit card, freeze it. Seriously. Pop it in a tub of water and put it in the freezer. You can still use it, but you have to wait until it's defrosted, which gives you time to ask yourself whether you really need the item. Don't cheat and defrost in microwave though, as the card could get damaged.

This is a bit controversial, but stop the constant snacking on cakes, crisps and biscuits. Have a treat for the weekend, sure, but not during the week. It's not healthy for a start. I also don't understand why some people give their children a packet of crisps in their lunchbox every day (but I suppose that could be another thread altogether). Sorry, just my opinion.

Bulk out meals with lentils/barley/pulses etc, for example in bolognaise sauce. Doesn't taste any different, but cheaper than using lots of mince.

Only get a gym membership if you get a good deal and you're using it at least 3 times a week. Otherwise, get yourself outdoors and walk/run, an excercise dvd to use indoors or just dance around to loud music for the hell of it.

Don't try to keep up with the Jones' next door. Be yourself and believe in you that you've got a fulfilling and happy life even if you don't wear designer shoes, have a luxury car or whatever else. Materialistic stuff isn't important. Time and friendship is.
    Call me what you like, I was a bit "tiddly" when I chose my username :beer:

April GC: £64.27/£100
  • staircase2
    staircase2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding washing and reusing plastic bottles - it's controversial whether reusing plastic bottles is potentially hazardous to your health - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuse_of_water_bottles The evidence is slight but personally I err on the side of caution and don't do it - I use a thermos for when I'm out and about instead.

Excluding the potential plastic leaching into the water surely the same bacteria could be present in a thermos too no?

As long as you wash up the bottle and cap properly with warm soapy water and rinse well after before refilling I dont see how theres a problem....
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Instead of buying tablets/capsules for the washing machine/dishwasher, use powder. It's easier to control how much you're putting in each wash. I generally use half of the amount recommended on the box, and my clothes are clean.

I don't use fabric conditioner, shock horror :D. Saves me a fortune, I reckon. Also, you shouldn't use conditioner on towels, as it stops the towels from being absorbent to their max capacity.

Don't try to keep up with the Jones' next door. Be yourself and believe in you that you've got a fulfilling and happy life even if you don't wear designer shoes, have a luxury car or whatever else. Materialistic stuff isn't important. Time and friendship is.[/QUOTE]:) Love this post. I'm another "halfer" too and it really works.

:) Fabric conditioner actually rots elastane, the generic name for the stretchy stuff in most underwear and a lot of outer garments. It's often on labels as Lycra, which is the brand from Du Pont, or Spandex is another brand on USA garments. Why pay to destroy your clothes prematurely?

:) I never use it and have never missed it and loathe it's slimy feel if my clothes are washed in it. Waste of money IMO and another thing polluting the environment.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me neither - ie I dont use fabric conditioner either. I dont really see the point and it certainly put me off it the other day when I read that its one of those things that is some sort of byproduct from something else (summat to do with oil - ie oil oil - not vegetable oil iyswim) and they were trying to think of a way to dispose of it - and decided to flog it to us as "fabric conditioner" and essential for our washing.

Well - thats one way to dispose of an oil byproduct - tiny bit by tiny bit - ie as peeps use it as "fabric conditioner".:cool:

Well - at least I can avoid that particular thing easily - wishes it was as easy to avoid the "Now how do we dispose of that poison? - fluoride - I know....we'll put it in toothpaste...and tell them its necessary to help their teeth...":cool: (you should see the cost of non-fluoride toothpaste...resigned to spending £2/£3 per tube:().
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure