PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Options

Comments

• ASLK
    ASLK Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Another area to save a lot of money is on parking.
    There are often lots of free spaces available if you look and know what you're looking for. Most street metred parking is free after 6pm, on Sundays and Bank Holidays. I've seen so many people go and buy a ticket when it's actually free at the time. Also, it is usually legal to park on single yellow lines after 6pm.
    Sometomes you may find that a car park has an all-day, 5 hour or similar deal. I occasionally use one that costs £2.80 for 2 hours, £3.40 for 4 hours, but after 9am it's £3 for 5 hours. If you put in £3.40 you would only get 4 hours so it's worth having a quick look at the pricing before paying.
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    oooh! tights comment above has just made me remember one my from my kids....if you have tights with holes in then wear 2 pairs as the holes will be in different places and no-one will know!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Lifes_Grand_Plan Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am the MSE'er in my relationship and my wife is just not MSE at all...

When washing clothes she uses the recomended amount (and I think more but she denies it). Have told her that people on MSE half the recommended amount and it is fine but she refuses to do it...

So when she is out I sneakily dilute all of the bottles of washing up liquid, washing liquid, fabric conditioner, hand wash etc...

Sneaky but what she doesn't know wont hurt her....
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Never but spices from supermarkets in small tubs/jars. Instead when you're in an area with a large ethnic community, go into a local supermarket & you can pick up huge bags of them for a fraction of the price - ditto rice, onions, etc.
    Of course you have to like cooking spicy foods a lot - we do!
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    For those of us in England who pay for prescriptions, if you take 2 or more prescription medications each month (such as cholesterol lowering meds) get a NHS Prepayment certificate.

At the current cost of £7.40 each, two prescriptions per month for the year comes to £177.60. The cost for a 12 month Prepayment Certificate is £104. A savings of £73.60 each year. Obviously if you are on more than 2 medications, your savings will be higher.

You can purchase 3 month or 12 month certificates. The cost of the 12 month certificate can be spread over a year by setting up a 10 month direct debit.

More info can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2422.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=161

My doctor writes me a prescription now that lasts 2 months, so it's halved my cost. Look at buying a 3 month prepayment, get a new prescription days before it ends, wait till the prescription has almost run out, get another 3 month one, if you get this right it works out cheaper than an annual one!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    oooh! tights comment above has just made me remember one my from my kids....if you have tights with holes in then wear 2 pairs as the holes will be in different places and no-one will know!
    :) There's an American author whose name escapes me but who you can find by googling Ultimate Cheapskate whose Mrs, (whom he met on a composting course) does the following with holey tights; finds two pairs each with one wrecked leg, cuts off the ruined one and then wears two pairs at the same time, each with one good leg!

I fall about laughing as I imagine the logistics of getting in these things. Cheaper to wear trousers IMO.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • song_of_calliope
    Options
    When I receive something in a padded envelope in the post, I open it carefully and put it aside to reuse. Often I can peel off the address label the other person has used and get a new-looking envelope but if not I cut out address labels and paste them down on top of the old ones with my glue-stick and tape around the edges. Padded envelopes in Tesco cost over £1 depending on size, so this is a decent savings.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get a lot of these padded envelopes through my work and don't really have a need to re-use them but I do keep several in a kitchen cupboard where they are rushed out in the not infrequent glass or mug breakage when unloading the dishwasher. I just put all the bits in and put out with the normal rubbish - so much quicker than having to find a newspaper and wrap the bits up.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • garden-lover
    garden-lover Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) There's an American author whose name escapes me but who you can find by googling Ultimate Cheapskate whose Mrs, (whom he met on a composting course) does the following with holey tights; finds two pairs each with one wrecked leg, cuts off the ruined one and then wears two pairs at the same time, each with one good leg!

I fall about laughing as I imagine the logistics of getting in these things. Cheaper to wear trousers IMO.:rotfl:

I have done this in desperate times, warm though with two panty tops!
  • Jogster
    Jogster Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some excellent tips on here.

One way of saving on buying clothes is looking in the reduced rail - if clothes are missing buttons, they will usually be reduced. If you check inside, most items will come with spare buttons either sewn on to the label inside or in a small plastic bag. You can then buy the item at reduced price cos it's missing a button then sew the button on at home - hey presto, as good as new. I have done this in before in the Next sale where a blouse was sold with a missing button. It was reduced to £9 - even got the manager to take £5 for it on the understanding that i knew it had a fault and I would not return it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure