PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Options

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned:I have stopped buying fresh milk and now use made-up powdered skimmed milk.It means that I never run out,as I always have powdered milk in,and it rarely has a chance to go off,as you can make up what you need.Also I'm quite happy with skimmed milk,anything else is too rich.

PS This is a great thread and I've only read the last few.I think that I'll have to start from the beginning...
  • song_of_calliope
    Options
    I keep feeling like prefacing my comments in this thread with "obviously" but I guess it's in the title so I shall try to resist!

Anyway, don't make baked potatoes in the oven all by themselves if you can help it, but if you really crave a baked potato and aren't cooking anything else, make the potatoes in the microwave, then put into a hot oven for 10 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. Baked potatoes from the microwave alone are nasty but this makes them taste as if they'd been baked the whole time.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For me, it's got to be planning ahead. Meals, shopping lists, making best use of oven space, using up leftover food ... just as much as for making larger purchases.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    my ''isnt it obvious'' moment was when i finally got round to joining up with a supermarket outlet store - i go to 'the company shop' at tankersley, nr barnsley, and you need to work for a certain company or organisation to be able to join - i work for the nhs, one of the organisations, have done for years, but never got round to it! my shopping now costs me £30-£40/week for a family of 5, as opposed to £100+/week!! i have to do a monthly shop to stock up when they have good offers - but most of it is waitrose/tesco/ocado with over 50%+ off, incl meat and bread and dairy - most of which goes in the freezer.

but it saves me a fortune!

and i kept putting off going up and joining. its a 12 mile round trip in the car, but if i manage to do the full months shop in one go, then its definately saving me money!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a hob top steamer - it means that I can boil potatoes plus steam veg using only one gas ring. I have a 28cm pan and can easily cook enough for six.

I keep a bottle or jug of cold water in the fridge - it means I don't waste water waiting for it to run cold.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2011 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Waxy_Bean wrote: »
    I use a hob top steamer - it means that I can boil potatoes plus steam veg using only one gas ring. I have a 28cm pan and can easily cook enough for six.

It seemed more economic at first to steam but I found veg etc took almost twice as long to cook so I wonder how economic it actually is.
    Before microwaves were common , the pressure cooker did speed up cooking, though, I haven't used mine for years.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Aarons_mummy Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    Don't buy shaving gels.

I read on here about someone saying to use body lotion, as I have a HUGE stock of them and had ran out of gel I decided to give it a try, diluted the bottle 50/50 with water and I've been using the same bottle for a month and there's still half left!

Also use half the amount of shampoo/conditioner you would usually and just work it in more, same cleaning results but less cost.

Don't buy oven chips. I found that mine were in the freezer for ages as I don't make them often. It takes the same amount of time to slice up a potato, cover in herbs and a little oil and stick in the oven for 15 minutes, tastier, filling, healthyish and saves using valuable freezing space.

Rather than buying expensive chicken breasts, buy a whole chicken and portion it yourself there are LOADS of youtube videos showing you how to do it, I done this recently and I got a lot more for my money than a pack of breasts and it also means that those who don't like roasting a full chicken and then using the meat seperately means you're using the meat raw to do with as you want :D
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    my ''isnt it obvious'' moment was when i finally got round to joining up with a supermarket outlet store - i go to 'the company shop' at tankersley, nr barnsley, and you need to work for a certain company or organisation to be able to join - i work for the nhs, one of the organisations, have done for years, but never got round to it! my shopping now costs me £30-£40/week for a family of 5, as opposed to £100+/week!! i have to do a monthly shop to stock up when they have good offers - but most of it is waitrose/tesco/ocado with over 50%+ off, incl meat and bread and dairy - most of which goes in the freezer.

but it saves me a fortune!

and i kept putting off going up and joining. its a 12 mile round trip in the car, but if i manage to do the full months shop in one go, then its definately saving me money!

i go there once a month too , i hate going as its always packed but the offers are so good its worth it . :D
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    Make a shopping list and stick to it religiously! Make a meal plan at the beginning of the week and take note of what you need to buy. Get organised and batch-cook freezable stuff at the weekend, have all rings on the hob going for a few hours then you have a freezer full of dinners, it saves going to the takeaway after work or nipping into the supermarket (or worse, the corner shop) for a micro-meal and a few bits and pieces later leaving £20 lighter!

Online shopping can be very MSE too, it costs about £5 for delivery but by the time you've paid bus fares or petrol to and from the supermarket, and all the unneccesary bits you are tempted into buying while there (online you don't have to see the doughnuts, smell the doughnuts, plan a route bypassing the doughnuts!) you've saved it, plus not buying junk food on impulse is healthier on your body and purse, and then there is the time & stress you save... bargain! (Not dealing with, ahem, certain supermarket clientele is worth a fiver in and of itself!)
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • kriss1977
    kriss1977 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    namakemono wrote: »
    It's got to be cashback sites for me- nobody I know has heard of them really, and a couple have even insisted they must be a scam even though I've shown them that I've been paid from them!

I agree. I've been with Topcashback for 2 years now and receive about £100 back in cashback a year by using them for all my online purchases. they have consistently been the highest payers of cashback and you get to keep ALL the cashback you earn and can be paid from 1p+ rather than having to wait till you've earned a certain amount first like many cashback sites. I really can't speak highly enough of them.

However, when I've tried to convince friends it's a good idea they are sceptical and convinced there must be a catch/scam despite me showing them the history of my payments and reassuring them I've not had a problem the whole 2 years.

Their next objection is they don't have the time but it takes less than a minute to log in and click through to the merchant you need and then you just shop as normal. This doesn't convince them.

People are scared of scams but it's mostly an apathy issue especially when you can prove to them it's no scam at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure