PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Options

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Washing machines. for 20 odd years Ihave been washing at 30 degrees hinking I was being green. WRONG! I have just bothered to read the handbook of my 10 year old machine. the Hand Wash facility uses a fraction of the energy of the other cycles and there are other cheaper/less energy/less heat options available too. I hang my head in shame. I should have looked and thought about it more years ago.
  • vivh
    vivh Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I always refill kids juice bottles, they have a new bottle in their lunchboxes on Monday then it is refilled all week, can't see how this is any different to the sports bottles you buy which are meant to be refilled. I only put a treat (biscuit etc) in their lunchboxes on Friday now instead of everyday, this has saved a good bit.

My two biggest areas where i save are the car - walk - I walk anywhere within a 3 mile radius if on my own or with DH, unless we are doing our supermarket shopping. Often we will cycle to the supermarket and buy what we can comfortably carry in a rucksack. Secondly turn the heating down, my thermostat is set at 17 degrees during the day, 18 for kids bathtime then turned off at 8 ish until 7 the following morning. At the moment it is turned off altogether and will not go back on until autumn. Putting on a gilet or cardigan keeps you warm.

Lastly - do not be shy about using every coupon and voucher you can get your hands on, and send off for every freebie going, just this week I have had 20 free teabags and two coffee samples.
    The devil makes works for idle hands
  • chrissy.gee
    Options
    about a year ago i was reading a q and a column in my daily paper and someone asked which was cheapest, boiling a kettle or using the microwave, apparently the microwave wins every time, since then i've been using it to make my tea and coffee, all you do is heat the water in a cup then add your teabag or coffee, much quicker than the kettle, tip, if you like your tea strong then add it to the water before you put it in the microwave.:T
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    in order not to waste food I have an order of use....

eat...................if any left then
    use as leftovers..if any left then
    give to the dog...

never waste food at our house! Everything inedible but biodegradable gets composted, even cooked food which people say you can't do but I have done it for years with no probs.

Cut the end off the toothpaste to get the last bits out

Squash the loo roll to stop it running away off the roll.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • song_of_calliope
    Options
    Regarding reuse of water bottles - it's the chemicals leaching into the water that concerns me, not the bacteria so much. I'm afraid the controversy surrounding plastic is not as simple as a conspiracy by the water bottle manufacturers not to reuse them. Here's a better link that it explains things more clearly than the wikipedia article (sorry, I was in a hurry) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=plastic-not-fantastic-with-bisphenol-a

From the article: such containers should never be microwaved, used to store heated liquids or foods, or washed in hot water (either by hand or in much hotter dishwashers). I feel the folks who are putting these in the dishwasher and then giving them to their children should at least be aware of the scientific research that has gone into this recommendation.

Basically I don't feel any need to waste money on bottled water in the first place as tap water does me just fine. I use a thermos that isn't lined with plastic when I'm out and about.
  • cupkate
    cupkate Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »

if you have a draughts whistling through a keyhole, cover it with a fridge magnet; sadly this doesn't work for me here as my door furniture is non magnetic :)

eta can you tell I used to live in a draughty old house? :D

I use blu tack for my key holes. Completely draught-proof!

I shop on-line once per month for groceries-can save by bulk-buying and means less tempting trips to the shops
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    in order not to waste food I have an order of use....

eat...................if any left then
    use as leftovers..if any left then
    give to the dog...

You wern't my Mum were you in a previous life as when I was a child what didn't go into us kids ended up in the dog :rotfl::D
  • justpeyton4now
    Options
    For those of us in England who pay for prescriptions, if you take 2 or more prescription medications each month (such as cholesterol lowering meds) get a NHS Prepayment certificate.

At the current cost of £7.40 each, two prescriptions per month for the year comes to £177.60. The cost for a 12 month Prepayment Certificate is £104. A savings of £73.60 each year. Obviously if you are on more than 2 medications, your savings will be higher.

You can purchase 3 month or 12 month certificates. The cost of the 12 month certificate can be spread over a year by setting up a 10 month direct debit.

More info can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2422.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=161
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    For those of us in England who pay for prescriptions, if you take 2 or more prescription medications each month (such as cholesterol lowering meds) get a NHS Prepayment certificate.

At the current cost of £7.40 each, two prescriptions per month for the year comes to £177.60. The cost for a 12 month Prepayment Certificate is £104. A savings of £73.60 each year. Obviously if you are on more than 2 medications, your savings will be higher.

You can purchase 3 month or 12 month certificates. The cost of the 12 month certificate can be spread over a year by setting up a 10 month direct debit.

More info can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2422.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=161

And if you get your prescription filled on the last few days of a 3-month certificate you can make it last 4 months and will only need 3 3-month certificates a year making it slightly cheaper than buying a 1-year certificate.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those with long hair: when you snag tights, you can still wear them under trousers. When they become unwearable, wash them and cut them into bands and use these to tie your hair back. I've also used the waist band part in the past instead of elastic to repair a skirt that the stretchy waist band wasn't stretchy anymore.

Always put lids on pots when cooking, things cook more quickly. And turn the heat off a minute before you need the item the ring will stay hot enough for that minute to keep cooking.

Cut the ribbon loops from your tops (in tops to hang them up but I use the nonslip hangers), these can be used when wrapping gifts. Or tie a variety of colours around a hair elastic which will look great in a little girls hair.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure