LPG / LPG prices (merged)

Comments

• Hello again. Have just rung Flogas,

1 They only deliver within a 30 mile radius of Ashford

2 Their price for one 47Kg cylinder is £52.50

So more expensive than Calor.
  • Me again. Just rang Jefferson Holdings near East Grinstead and they charge £112 for 2 cylinders ie £56 each. So niow I give up and stick with Calor. Bye fr now
  • Hi Izzy123 - This is when us poor souls on LPG really suffer - when temperatures his sub zero. This is why when we move house, we DEFINITELY will be moving somewhere on mains gas. All we can do is hope this cold snap doesn't last too long. You have my sympathies.
  • Hi new to this forum, I wonder if anyone else has had a runaround like ours. 64.5 per litre , brought down to 58p per litre for a minimum deliery of 600 litres but with a £50 delivery charge, costing nearly £400. with flogas. Can't shop around, now it seems theres new regs as to where the tank is sited. we not got enough money, haven't had gas for 4 months. using camping stove, good old george forman grill and boil a kettle for water, got an electric shower luckily. Oil filled radiator . Can Flogas get away with this? :-(
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2010 at 2:17AM
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I want to ask previous posters if they will go to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=39205254&postcount=477 and add a 'thanks' to voisin's post about regulation for LPG prices, please.

This is one of many 50 word 'moneyfestos' which may get taken up by MSE when he meets top politicians and/or regulators. The most supported moneyfestos are the ones which will be taken up - hence my request! So far there are over 600 moneyfestos! Please don't add another LPG one - MSE doesn't want duplicates.

Discussion of bulk LPG prices, contracts, etc is alive and well on the sticky Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? Most LPG users know what goes on with LPG suppliers - this autumn people have been paying from 30 ppl to 68 ppl - and those are the ones we know about!

Happy warm Christmas - and fair LPG prices in 2011 (and no flying pigs!).

John aka LittleVermin
  • I have just searched the web and cant find any prices to compare so I suggest everyone posts them here so we all know who's charging what.

Shell have just put my price up twice in late 2010 as of today 11/2/11 its .445 (plus VAT) per ltr so a full tank will cost approx £700 plus £35 Vat that will last me about 6 months but I am a heavy user as I have the heating on all day.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just searched the web and cant find any prices to compare so I suggest everyone posts them here so we all know who's charging what.

Shell have just put my price up twice in late 2010 as of today 11/2/11 its .445 (plus VAT) per ltr so a full tank will cost approx £700 plus £35 Vat that will last me about 6 months but I am a heavy user as I have the heating on all day.

Hi sarahhaughian.

Sorry that you have now joined our club, but nevertheless, welcome to moneysaving expert. In answer to your question, I would say 44.5ppl is "arguably a touch high, but certainly in the right sort of ballbark": probably not what you wanted to hear, but at least it's not at the high 60ppl / low 70pppl that some LPG users are being hit with.

I would most strongly suggest that you have a look at the Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? moneysaving expert forum. This is (probably) the most active "domestic LPG" thread on this site, with plenty of pricing and other information. I have recently (yesterday and today) posted some graphical interpretation of LPG pricing and trends which you might find of interest.
  • I am currently paying 37.5 ppl with Calor but this is due to renewing our contract and part of that was agreement to keep the price stable for the first six months of it - which was fortunate as it went up very soon after the contract start date! Hopefully that will take us over the high useage period into March before the increase kicks in. They were very keen to keep the business, hence the cashback incentive added also, and to be honest, when I was shopping around at the end of the Summer, they were the best of a bad bunch - apart from a couple who came up with better deals but not in our area - Milton Keynes. The one advantage with Calor, they use a telemetry system which works very well as we don't have the hassle of letting them know when we need a refill as they check our tank remotely via the telephone line. Our next property will defintely have mains gas!!
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    busybird wrote: »
    I am currently paying 37.5 ppl with Calor

37.5ppl? That is an astonishingly good price. Last September, when my renewal with Calor was up, the best they could/would offer was 44ppl, and they absolutely would not budge on that price. For a view of recent price trends, see the graphs that I have posted on the "Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?" thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=41113706&postcount=692 and http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=41099376&postcount=690

...keep the price stable for the first six months of it ... before the increase kicks in.

Well, it will be no surprise to you if I say with absolute certainty, that come March, the price will go up. One thing to be aware of, however, is that the Calor contract has a clause in it limiting the extent of the rises that they may impose. Depending on exactly when you signed your contract, this will most likely be 3.5ppl in any six month (or possibly even three month) period. On older contracts, this was an "enforceable" cap (although in my case, it took some significant "persuasion" to convince Calor to honour it). In most current (Post Competition Commission ruling) contracts, this simply offers a "get out" for you if Calor should feel compelled to impose a price rise above this level, but you have to notify them of your intention to quit pretty smartly on receipt of the price rise notification!
    ...hence the cashback incentive added...

Errr, that would be the standard Calor cashback incentive offered to ALL customers - any trick to hang on to the business ;)
    they use a telemetry system which works very well

A word of warning here: I had a telemetry system with Calor and personally I never had any problems with it. I have, however heard of others who have had problems. I believe there are two types of system currently in use: one that sends the information via the phone line and another that uses some kind of satellite uplink. I don't think they are equally reliable. Anyway, it's probably worth keeping half an eye on your tank levels when you know it is likely to be running low, just in case!

As I have posted elsewhere, I was very happy with Calor from the supply side and particularly the engineering/maintenance perspective when we had problems with our tank, but I did have significant difficulties dealing with the administrative side of the business, which I suspect could be very dependent on which specific Calor distribution centre you are dealing with.
  • Hi, I had a 2000ltr underground tank installed last August. The contract for the supply of gas is for two years and my gas prices have gone up in two jumps from 39ppl to 52.4ppl (Plus 5% VAT) since installation to the present. The first increase occurred, or was announced, when a letter dropped on the mat the same day the tank was being lowered into the ground!

All energy is expensive and I wouldn't have LPG if mains gas was available, however, what I find really irritating is that gas prices vary from customer to customer from the same supplier!

I am tied in to Calor at the moment but I can't wait for release as although part of the deal was to have telemetry, "Think Tank", technology installed it has not been fitted and I have had to try to stop Calor tankers calling very frequently to check the levels and leaving their diesels running to irritate the neighbours. How they think I'm going to use 2000 litres in a week beats me.

Calor administration certainly needs tidying.

If anyone can suggest how I can get the price down I shall be very grateful.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport