PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do and mend weekday on CH4

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Steve-o
    Steve-o Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    Ida_Notion wrote: »
    Watching on 4OD, I noticed that the bit at the beginning where they introduce the experts and then ramble a bit about the city they're in runs for the best part of two and a half minutes, which is a big wodge of a twenty five minute programme, especially since they spend a couple of minutes congratulating each other at the end too.

If you move the time slider in to about 2:40 you get to the 'real' start of the programme. The end talking starts at about 22 mins, so the actual content is about 20 minutes long. Annoying to have so much filler at the start, but perhaps it's more noticeable due to watching it on-demand.
    I have no signature.
  • Redlady.....
    Redlady..... Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to go off topic but this show always makes me wonder why we don't have a Martha Stewart type show in this country. I've only seen clips of her show on you tube when looking for how to's, so maybe there isn't as much content as it seems, but we have nothing of the like in this country, that I know of anyway. We used to have 'change that' 'changing rooms' etc....which weren't as down to earth as the MS show sounds, but at least they touched on crafts a bit. Now all we seem to have are 'knocking your house down and building it up again' type programmes,or 60 minute makeovers that don't really show you any how to's.

I'm not a card maker, which is just as well because the only TV inspiration I'd have would be to watch a shopping channel, surely there's scope for an all encompassing craft show which includes card making, scrap-booking etc.........I like sewing, I like sewing ideas, and I can remember when there used to be a regular sewing show on the Beeb every Sunday morning, but there's nothing now unless you include the likes of make do and mend which doesn't cover anything in real depth.

Does anyone here watch The Martha Stewart Show regularly so we know what we're missing, or not?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought last year the 'Delias cheat' Kenwood mini mixer/grater It cost me about £12 and is the best thing I have ever bought I chop carrots ,cheese ,even granulated sugar to make caster sugar.in seconds and being quite small it only takes a few minutes to wash up.
    I have several boxes (those white chines take-away types) in the fridge and every couple of days I chop up what ever I want and store in the fridge ready for use.I too would have a problem grating things as I have one arm that doesn't work well owing to secondary lymphodema,but my little machine solves all the problems .true it give a consistacy of breadcrumbs (another use) and not the shredded effect but hey its only grated cheese and its terrific if I can use it in mashing spuds or salads .Now I only have to find something that will help me mash spuds easily and I will be a happy bunny.Gammy right arm means it takes me longer to mash with my s/steel masher( can't give it much welly IYSWIM)
    Today is the last day of the series and I will have to watch it on catch-up as I am out at lunchtime ,but I have enjoyed it especially some of the tips.I wish that Simon could have his own cookery programme as he seems a lot less pretentious than a lot of t.v. cooks.Also I think the two ladies could do a programme each on their skills .The only thing I don't like is the voice -over during the programme as though making do and mend was a jokey thing Its not a lot of folk will have learnt something or maybe discovered that they 'can do' something they never thought of before.I thought the young girl who had the split newel post was taking the biscuit a bit as it was a serious job.The house looked fairly affluent as well and I'm suprised her parents hadn't got it fixed sooner.The best show was the little bathroom renovation which I thought was brilliant and easy to follow. Well done Channel four a few tweaks and you will have a hit on your hands
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure