PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do and mend weekday on CH4

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's on every weekday at 12.05.
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks now got it set to record
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    What was Simon's banana recipe about on thursday? He called it banana ice cream but I didn't see anything go anywhere near a freezer so - ice cream - ??? (why isn't there a "confused" smiley?)
  • hakeber
    hakeber Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes i agree it looked tasty just not very "cold"
    bek
    :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 May 2011 at 9:14AM
    Options
    I loved the shoulder of lamb recipe and whats left over would make a superb Shepards pie as shoulder has a taste of its own .Don't know where I could buy a shoulder for a fiver though Mr T's shoulders were £12+ last week far too expensive for my purse.I like his puddings although a lot seem to be 'take a pot of cream' which isn't cheap anymore.The lemon one he did looked fabulous but I rarely have roasted almonds in the cupboard either, i suppose you could substitute maybe some cinnamon or grated nutmeg.Great programme though but no where near long enough and should be on in the evening for an hour
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Love your daughter nicki. What important life skills she's learning.
    With make do and mend I think that they are looking to impress in the short term, but in the long term some of their makes won't stand the test of time. For example the sand pit made out of a bookcase and the neckless made with conkers.

Yep - I noticed that re the sandpit. I thought "That wood wont last 2 seconds when it rains much....". I think they could have usefully made that sandpit - but pointed out that it would need to be kept somewhere under cover or had some pretty thick waterproofing varnish put on it.

I think its slightly "off" to say "Get together an outfit for less than £20" and use clothes the woman already has to go towards it. So - I think its useful for them to do charity shop chic/make your own clothes/etc - but make it a bit clearer that there are assumptions being made as to what clothes women have already. I know I could be told - just add in a thin black top or a few accessories or something - and I could instantly do so - but I'm not sure all women could.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i tried the chicken thigh/veg/cider casserole shown in week one.it was lovely though next time i'll boil it up to get rid of alcohol rather than bunging it in slow cooker-OMG cheap cider muddles the brain!!
  • shandyclover
    shandyclover Posts: 905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did anyone catch the make do and mend how to's, I don't live in UK so only caught the programme once in a friends house and couldn't pay full attention. I've been online but only the cooking recipes seem to be listed. I'm just wondering if anyone tried the sports drink recipe (hubby is training for a marathon), or the home made air freshner (my dd gets very cross cause I won't buy them). I can't quite remember all the ingredients and quantities.

There was also a very good tip about mending tears with a piece of cloth, an iron and something call superweb (I think!) - I didn't quite get how, though keen to know - could save quite a few of dd's expensive jeans - and then teach her how to do it for herself!:T
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 May 2011 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Hi shandyclover,

The programme is being discussed in this thread:

Make do and mend weekday on CH4

I'll add your thread to it shortly as the regular viewers who post in that thread will probably be able to help.

Pink

Edit: try this link to watch the programme.
  • Ida_Notion
    Ida_Notion Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    This week's Make Do And Mend episodes haven't appealed to me as much as the previous ones. I don't know why, maybe I'm just that way out at the moment, but it's just starting to seem a bit repetitive. Watching on 4OD, I noticed that the bit at the beginning where they introduce the experts and then ramble a bit about the city they're in runs for the best part of two and a half minutes, which is a big wodge of a twenty five minute programme, especially since they spend a couple of minutes congratulating each other at the end too. I'm also starting to notice (a lot!) how irritating the theme music is, and I'm finding my attention wandering quite a bit now, realising that the tail end of something someone said or did actually sounded quite interesting, but not enough to make me rewind a bit to find out more.

In my world, the food guy was right in what he said about buying ready grated cheese, but I do realise the world is quite different for other people who might find that kind of thing a real help due to arthritis or some other limiting factor. I thought it was enough to point out the price difference, without making people who buy these things because of a physical impairment feel that everyone views them as mentally impaired as well. He really was quite scathing.

I had to laugh though at the insults that were thrown at the 'ancient' microwave that was used by the student lad to cook his ready meal in. It was exactly the same model as mine. I'm expecting it to show up on the Antiques Roadshow next :)
    Freddie Starr Ate My Signature
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport