PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do and mend weekday on CH4

Options

Comments

• **skinnyminny**
    Options
    Although i have already picked up most of the tips from being on here, i still really enjoy the programmme and find it really entertaining, i do prefer it ti superscrimpers but i also am a fan of that showm anything that makes me feel good about how i am old style in areas and moneysaving is a good show for me to watch with the oh as he seems to listen when it's on the telly instead of when i'm whinging about it, i just get a roll of the eyes then lol
    :j:j:j
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sairy2005 wrote: »
    I think there aren't many comments as every one on here knows all this already.

I don't agree with you on this point.

I believe that this is much better than superscrimpers and a lot of people on this forum really did not like it that much and that has pages of comments. Make do and mend has way more practical advice.

And is not just about one persons budget. But many things including DIY. It has even made me believe (maybe foolishly) that I might be able to replace most of my kitchen myself. I have always known it would cheaper myself but never thought I could do it or had the skill sets.

Superscrimpers never inspired me like this. On make do and mend last week they re-vamped someones bathroom. With people who really did not have much DIY experience. And it really did look quite good afterwards.

Like Ida Notion I thought the corsage was lovely. I had some that I bought from Boots on sale for a couple pounds each. But I would never really thought had easy they where to make.

Also "I cant believe people need to be told this stuff." I think it is rather rude. To some it is obvious what needs to be done. But for others they can't see the wood from the trees and don't know where to start. Don't have the time etc.

If everything is so obvious then maybe we don't need this forum any more ;)

No matter how much you think you know, there is always someone else who can give you another hint or tip. One that you have had not thought of before.

I believe make do and mend, makes people more aware of things they can and can't do. And that to save money you really don't need to do the sack cloth and ashes bit or spend hours to save 2p.

But each to there own. I know that I will carry on watching it.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • happierdaystocome
    Options
    I've really enjoyed the episodes I seen ( havent been able to watch this week on TV due to OH being home and my computer is running too slow to watcxh on line at the moment)

I think the format is so much better than super scrimpers and cally made me think that I could tackle bigger DIY projects within my home.
    "Let your boat of life be light, pack only what you need- A homely home and simple pleasures,one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone who loves you, a cat, a dog, a pipe or two enough to eat, enough to wear and a little more than enough to drink, as thirst is a dangerous thing" Jerome k. Jerome
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I made a couple of the fabric baskets from one of last weeks episodes and they've turned out really well. I used cream canvas for the outside and patterned cotton for the lining.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    I made a couple of the fabric baskets from one of last weeks episodes and they've turned out really well. I used cream canvas for the outside and patterned cotton for the lining.

As I said I tend to do other things and and not pay full attention.

Might have to go back and look at the fabric baskets.

Can you remember which day it was?

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    my youngest daughter has five children and if you asked her to sew a button on she wouldn't have a clue as she just doesn't sew at all.I'm not that good but I get most of the mending for my four grandsons school trousers and any other sewing jobs.She doesn't even own a needle and thread bless her but she can cook like a dream and anything else she can turn her hand to.gardening especially.Not everyone is good at everything I can knit,cook and sew a little but could no more use a sewing machine than fly in the air .Everything I sew is done by hand.tomorrow I am off to visit my friend in Dartford and she will machine my new curtains for me for my spare room ,but I am taking her a nice fruit cake as she isn't keen on baking so we swap our skills.Make do and mend is a very good down to earth practical way of showing people what can be done with a little help
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am enjoying watching these episodes on 4oD, but I was a bit surprised that episode with the basic car maintenace was innacurate, or perhaps simply lacking in important details. For example, when checking oil levels she simply pulled out the dipstick and looked at the level. You really need to wipe it first then 'dip' it into the oil (the clue's in the name!) before checking. This is because there could be oil on the dipstick from when the car has been moving and the oil splashing upwards, giving you a false positive reading.

She also pointed out the brake fluid reservoir and said to keep it topped up - but if you are losing brake fluid you REALLY need to find out why. It may just be worn pads (which shouldn't make the fluid drop below the minimum anyway), but it could be something more serious (and potentially fatal)!

Also, she put a lot of emphasis on under bonnet stuff, but your tyres are a more important safety consideration than most of those. Loss of oil might seize your engine - expensive but not fatal, while a blowout on the motorway due to running on a very underinflated tyre could kill you, your family and other innocents. I know it is about saving money (and as they said in the episode 'not breaking down'), but a sentence about keeping the tyres at the correct pressure could have been linked to money saving too, as underinflated tyres increase rolling resistance, which makes the car use more fuel...
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fancy burning the chocolate. Common Simon, it's so dangerous to tell a child to just bung it in and see, they could set the house alight. To do it on television too - the whole nation's homes could go up in flames.

Did he not research this method? If not the best advice would be to just do it on 30 second bursts until the chocolate melts.

Otherwise not a bad show. I haven't learned much yet but can appreciate that for those embarking on this journey there are some good tips
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,675 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to crash the thread but there is a new similiar programme for anyone who has sky or virgin.

On Discovery Real Time - starting this sunday at 9pm - called extreme couponing.

Below are descriptions of the first two episodes.
    Episode 1
    Meet the savvy shoppers who plan and plot their way to unbelievable savings. See how J'aime uses her coupons to get nearly $2000 worth of groceries for around her $100 budget
    Rebecca plans to fit all her party food needs into her modest monthly food budget. Jessica attempts to pull off 18 separate transactions to get over $600 worth of groceries.

Might be worth a peek

x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Im really looking forward to extreme couponing, there are a few clips from TLC on youtube. I dont know if we can get coupons here like they do in America - watching their shopping go through the till and then all the coupons deducted is great!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport