PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• mrsmortenharket
    mrsmortenharket Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen, I adore those catalogues!
    I call them the "1000 useless things you didn't know you didn't want!"

They used to advertise neck massagers. The looked a lot like something sold in Ann Summers!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On another forum I go to that has lots of Americans, there's a thread at the moment about disposable paper guest towels. I get the impression these are not standard paper towels, but somehow more 'towelly'. You put them in the bathroom so guests don't have to dry their hands on the normal towel you also have in there! And most of them seem to find that quite a normal thing to have.

I've just posted saying I'd assume they'd nicked them from a public toilet - wonder how that's going to go down.

Heretolearn: I'd love to read the flaming you're going to get about that one!

Now, answer this honestly: who doesn't put clean hand-towels out when people visit? Any guest who was too afraid to dry their hands on my lovely towels in fear of what was on them is one guest who doesn't know me well enough and won't welcome in my home again.

I wonder if those paper-towel buyers are the same ones who take disposable loo-seat covers with them when they use public lavs?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GreyQueen, I adore those catalogues!
    I call them the "1000 useless things you didn't know you didn't want!"

They used to advertise neck massagers. The looked a lot like something sold in Ann Summers!
    :D There's some pervy kit out there, it's true.

:) A friend recently showed me a banana-carrier. This is a bright yellow plastic case, shaped like a banana, which you use to carry a yellow tropical fruit around in your bag. So you don't squash it. I saw one yesterday in Oxfam for 59p and managed to get away with my purse unopened........:rotfl:

I find entertainment in the darndest of places; someone at work caught me on the Daily Bigot website at break and expressed surprise that a person like me etc etc.

;) I expressed surprise right back...I thought it was a comedy site; I certainly read it as such. The first time I encountered a shopping channel around a friend's home many years ago, I was laughing like a loon, expecting French and Saunders to pop up any second....

:o Oh dear, I may not be normal and I definately don't care....;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love those catalogues too. :)

Hilarious.
  • rosalie-lavender
    rosalie-lavender Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    Actually those banana cases are very good. I bought one for my daughter to take her banana to school in and it kept the banana fresh and unbruised all day. I have got rid of it now because she will no longer use it because it looks "rude."

I also have the giant scoop things for clearing up leaves except mine are green. When you have to clear up as many leaves as we do every autumn then anything that helps is welcome. They are actually very effective.

What a waste of the worlds resources though to have disposable hand towels. I don't put clean towels out if people visit but I do give my guests their own towels to use instead. I change my hand towels pretty regularly anyway so they are always pretty clean.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I do have a hair dryer, it's bakelite and should be in a museum. Not that I have a really fancy hair style or use it often, it's just that going out with wet hair/ears in the bitterly cold -5 weather gets very uncomfortable.

I'd also quite like a tumble dryer. Not to use in the summer or dry weather, but I live down the road from a swamp, which mean we get the oddity of having extremely cold and damp weather. I'm pretty convinced sometimes that if I hung out dry clothes they'd get damp! Attempts to dry them inside on radiators just make the damp in the house worse. I've actually had to buy more clothes so I don't need to wash things those days. A tumble dryer would be pretty useful.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ben84 wrote: »
    Well, I do have a hair dryer, it's bakelite and should be in a museum. Not that I have a really fancy hair style or use it often, it's just that going out with wet hair/ears in the bitterly cold -5 weather gets very uncomfortable.

Yep, this is very true. I'm afraid during the cold spell here I just braided my hair and tried to keep it neat enough like that, forgetting about washing it. Luckily, I didn't have to see any one most of the time. we did have to go out to drinks during that time and that was one of the blue moon times I used my hairdryer.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hairdryers - arent they one of those things one uses to give a quick blast of hot air at the sheets and ones own backside on getting into bed? (ie rather than getting an electric blanket or hotwater bottle);)

I do use a hairdryer every day at present - to get my hair dry quickly ready for work - but suspect I wont bother with using it for its original purpose when work no longer comes into the equation - ie in years to come (when I am retired).
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Hairdryers - arent they one of those things one uses to give a quick blast of hot air at the sheets and ones own backside on getting into bed? (ie rather than getting an electric blanket or hotwater bottle);)

Oh my goodness! What a picture you've conjured up ceridwen. :D
  • rosalie-lavender
    rosalie-lavender Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »

I do use a hairdryer every day at present - to get my hair dry quickly ready for work - but suspect I wont bother with using it for its original purpose when work no longer comes into the equation - ie in years to come (when I am retired).

A hairdryer is something that my youngest son waves vaguely at his head every morning whilst at the same time reading some book or looking at the computer. A lot of the time I am sure it is warning the air behind and around him and quite possibly his backside, :D rather than his hair. I have yet to convince him that if he wrapped his very straight but very thick mop of hair in a towel first while he did something else it would absorb a lot of the moisture.

He then hurtles out for his bus which he quite often misses. Drying his hair is often the excuse for missing his bus. Getting up earlier somehow doesn't seem to occur to him and I am sure he thinks I don't realise that he lays on the bathroom floor and lets the shower run so I think he is actually showering! I even caught him taking his quilt in there one day.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport