PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• rosalie-lavender
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I second the soda solution.

I'm not a housework fan - as peeps have probably gathered by now:o

Howsomever - I have had a go again at the top of my kitchen cupboards with a soda solution and it helped (a LOT). Whereas previously its been a case of "scrub/scrub/scrub again" to get rid of the type of dusty grease that gets onto the top of kitchen cupboards - I just got my hot water and threw in a some washing soda crystals/a bit of washing-up liquid and a smidgen of white vinegar and it worked first time. Job done:D

I agree with the soda crystals too. It must be the time of year but I recently scrubbed my kitchen and somehow found myself on the steps cleaning the top of the kitchen cupboard. Soda crystals just melted the dirt and grease away and made the job easier.

As a bonus I found my knife sharpening steel that I thought was long gone. I also found a plastic recorder type whistle that must have been given away with a child's magazine. My daughter is now 16 so goodness knows when I last cleaned the top of that cupboard. It must have been confiscated because she was driving me potty with it.:rotfl:

It certainly seems to be true that one person's junk is another person's treasure. One of my essentials is a good steam iron (although I draw the line at £70). I am a dressmaker though so it is used a lot for that. I also use my dishwasher every night.

One thing I have but rarely use is my pressure cooker. I only keep it because it is a large heavy based pan. It gets used as a normal saucepan but rarely as a pressure cooker.

The other thing I had that was swiftly passed on was a small battery sewing machine. I won it and it was advertised as good, even for children. I found it extremely difficult to control and wouldn't have let my children near it. I taught my daughter to use a proper sewing machine instead.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2011 at 9:16AM
    Options
    I second the soda solution.

I'm not a housework fan - as peeps have probably gathered by now:o

Howsomever - I have had a go again at the top of my kitchen cupboards with a soda solution and it helped (a LOT). Whereas previously its been a case of "scrub/scrub/scrub again" to get rid of the type of dusty grease that gets onto the top of kitchen cupboards - I just got my hot water and threw in a some washing soda crystals/a bit of washing-up liquid and a smidgen of white vinegar and it worked first time. Job done:D
    :) Morning Ceridwen, I have a top-tip for high kitchen cupboards which accrue airborne grease and dust and it's even easier than soda-and-water.

Just fold or trim a few sheets of newspaper and lay them over the top. Change them at whatever frequency amuses you. Cleaning problem over.:rotfl:Alas, my own kitchen cupboards go all the way up to the ceiling, depriving me of a chance to use this tip myself.

I think it's the bounden duty of all good women (and men) to share skiving tips so that we can have more time to goof off.

:mad: BTW, I have just turned on Radio 4 and, for some bizarre reason, the Today programme seems to be coming from outside Buckingham Palace and there are a lot of excitable people in the background. What is all this about? A prince of the realm marries a gal from a nice family and a commoner like me, unrelated to either party, is supposed to get all excited? Not getting that at ALL. Have turned off the news as I can't bear the foolishness; off to the lottie later to do something productive with the extra day off.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a good day up that allotment then G.Q.:). Weather looking rather grey here:( (but hopefully that will at least mean its going to give some much-needed rain to top up my water butt).

More springcleaning and decluttering today and anything I'm rarely (if ever) able to use in this house - but do want to use - is just going up into that loft of mine - whilst I go off and think "positive thoughts" about moving to a bigger house one day. I won precisely £2 towards it yesterday - think that means I can afford one brick:rotfl::rotfl:

...seconded...just who are the people getting married today? I dont know them - so I'm not interested....
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wanted to listen to the news when I got up earlier. The Wedding is on every single blessed channel! I'm enjoying listening to Kath Kidston on Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 at the mo. As soon as the wedding infiltrates there the radio is going off.

As to tumble driers: I've never had one and probably couldn't afford to run one right now but I can see the value of them. I live in a flat with no outside drying-space and getting laundry dry in the depths of winter without causing condensation is a terrible worry.

Living alone I have no need for a dish-washer and suspect that by the time I've rinsed off the plates and loaded the thing I could have washed up and be enjoying a cup of tea and a nice sit-down.
  • GreyQueen
    edited 29 April 2011 at 11:36AM
    Options
    I wanted to listen to the news when I got up earlier. The Wedding is on every single blessed channel! I'm enjoying listening to Kath Kidston on Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 at the mo. As soon as the wedding infiltrates there the radio is going off.

As to tumble driers: I've never had one and probably couldn't afford to run one right now but I can see the value of them. I live in a flat with no outside drying-space and getting laundry dry in the depths of winter without causing condensation is a terrible worry.

Living alone I have no need for a dish-washer and suspect that by the time I've rinsed off the plates and loaded the thing I could have washed up and be enjoying a cup of tea and a nice sit-down.
    :) Hello B&T, I just grabbed for Radio 4 and must have missed the end...wah.

I detest tumblers because they're energy hogs which offend my green-y sensibilities, plus they scalp your clothes; dryer lint...that was your garment. I have to rack things on a clothes airer in my wee living room and sidle around it but the place is cosy and they dry quickly enough, particularly with the opposite windows open to create an airflow. I have used tumble-dryers of necessity when staying in hostels on long trips and only having a couple of changes of outer duds, but they really don't do your clothes any favours.

;) I couldn't have a dishwasher if I wanted one as have absolutely no room in my titchy kitchy so suppose I should get off my backside and do the dishes I've been postponing for days........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    Thanks for that tip about the newspaper on the top of cupboards GreyQueen. I only have one cupboard that doesn't go up to the ceiling but I think I will put some newspaper up there today.

I am fed up of the wedding already and have shut myself away in my workroom. It will be on television all day and my DH will be glued to it for hours on end. Then again he doesn't work so he has all the time in the world......I want to use my day off a bit more constructively. I think I will do some dressmaking.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do newspaper too. Its just so much easier. BUT in new kitchen I'm havig cupboards that reach ALL the way up I hope. If for some reason I can't then newspaper again it will be!
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I dont know them - so I'm not interested....

Thirded, as my son said, they didn't watch *my* wedding, maybe I'll send them the video :D
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love my dishwasher, hate washing up. I don't have an hair dryer but have fine hair that dries quickly so don't see the need, agree about the kitchen gadget's I've been a mug for those in the past, but not anymore, when the microwave packs in, it won't be replaced, saying that it'll probably last years as it's rarely used. Why did I buy a juicer years ago, it's a nightmare to clean if it didn't have a blender attatchment on it it would have gone.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    eco wrote: »
    I love my dishwasher, hate washing up. I don't have an hair dryer but have fine hair that dries quickly so don't see the need, agree about the kitchen gadget's I've been a mug for those in the past, but not anymore, when the microwave packs in, it won't be replaced, saying that it'll probably last years as it's rarely used. Why did I buy a juicer years ago, it's a nightmare to clean if it didn't have a blender attatchment on it it would have gone.
    :) Here, here, eco. I have a hairdryer but never use it, so it's on it's way out. I have long, ridiculously thick hair, enough to cover 2-3 normal heads, but I just let it air-dry and it keeps it in very good condition plus I can get on with other things. My microwave is going to be offered up to colleagues first and then freecycled as I've decided that the little use I get from it doesn't justify giving it counter room in a small kitchen. I'm not into kitchen appliances much at all, the only one other than the MW being a goblet-type blender which I use once in blue moon to smooth h.m soups. Space is so cramped that I have the 2 parts of it in different cupboards and am reviewing the need for it at all.

The joy of having less is that you have less cleaning to do.

:D Less stuff = more life.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills