PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Actually, weighing it down is the last thing I want: I just need curl-definition. I've given up trying to fight nature as nature will always win, especially when it's humid.

LIR: when was the last tine you let your hair dry naturally with no styling product on it?

Every couple of months or so (like to assess condition with nothing on it). Its just candy floss if I do, after about half an hour dry! My ''MSE'' not going anywhere alternative is just conditioner or the products that have been tried but failed (though I normally give them to OH who like you, needs no weighing down....mine is just weird for curly hair, being so fine.)

It also ''needs a trim'' which I'm oddly resistant to.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Candy-floss hair is exactly what I have! A work-colleague once called me "Crystal Tipps" who I'd never heard of before. I looked it up and I do look exactly like her. Hehe. Alas, I don't have a cat called Alistair but a boy called Stanley. Maybe one day I will.

A friend has just gifted me an unwanted can of Frizz-Ease Curl Reviver yesterday which allegedly "defines and holds soft curls". I can't wait to use it. I'd love to have defined and held soft curls and I'll report back once I've given it a shot.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Candy-floss hair is exactly what I have! A work-colleague once called me "Crystal Tipps" who I'd never heard of before. I looked it up and I do look exactly like her. Hehe. Alas, I don't have a cat called Alistair but a boy called Stanley. Maybe one day I will.

A friend has just gifted me an unwanted can of Frizz-Ease Curl Reviver yesterday which allegedly "defines and holds soft curls". I can't wait to use it. I'd love to have defined and held soft curls and I'll report back once I've given it a shot.

Yes please. FWiW for my hair its frizz is serum and then Tigi curing cream (it has another name I can find out). The other frizz ease stuff and curling stuff I've tried doesn't work as well as that particular combination. (which leaves me with soft, curls (held to the ends)). DH's hair is much more obediant and responds well to most curly hair products...he finds the tigi too heavy though...he actually prefers a gel-ly consistancy while I like the cream.

Its also amazing what plain old conditioner scrunched into the ends can do short term....an evening/afternoon for example. :)
  • FenellaFiasco
    Options
    Curly hair tip: Wash hair and pat dry. Add a lot of conditioner (any will do) and comb through. Wrap hair in cling film. Heat all over with a hair dryer (only time I use the hair dryer). Remove cling film and rinse and towel dry. Result very soft hair.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another curly top here - was straight till I had the kids and then went curly, bizarre!!n It is also extremely thick, the poster who said that if they bundle theirs up it is still wet the next day - yep, that's me too! I think it would go mouldy before it dried if i put it up wet :p

I either straighten mine, which takes about half an hour (so that doesn't happen often) or I wash and leave curly. The best thing I've found is Charles Worthington no more frizz for £1.99 from home bargains, It lasts me about a month.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • globetraveller
    globetraveller Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Curly hair tip: Wash hair and pat dry. Add a lot of conditioner (any will do) and comb through. Wrap hair in cling film. Heat all over with a hair dryer (only time I use the hair dryer). Remove cling film and rinse and towel dry. Result very soft hair.
    :eek: Doesn't the cling film melt?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :eek: Doesn't the cling film melt?

No. I've done this...its fine. I tend to put it in climfilm, wrap a towel around it (hot off the radiator is best) and get on with the ironing for an afternoon though.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I just had to share this from Bill Bryson's Notes From A Big Country that I was rereading and sniggering at last night.

He had got a catalogue of gadgets in the post, this one being Tools for Serious Readers.
    One of the items on offer was " the Briefcase Valet- a small wheeled trolley that sits about four inches off the floor.
    Available in dark or natural cherry and attractively priced at $139, it is designed to alleviate one of the most intractable office storage problems of our age. As the catalogue copy explains: 'Most of us are faced with the same nagging problem of what to do with our briefcase when we put it down at home or in the office. That's why we designed our Briefcase Valet. It holds your briefcase up off the floor, making it easier to insert and retrieve things as the day progresses.'
    Bill goes on to say ' I especially like those last four words "as the day progresses." How many times have I got to the end of a working day myself and thought: 'Oh, what I'd give for a small wheeled device in a choice of wood tones to save me reaching those last four inches.':rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Another one he mentions was a fancy kitchen accessory from Italy called a porto rotolo di carta, which boasts 'a spring tension arm', 'stainless steel guide', 'crafted brass finial' and 'rubber gasket for exceptional stability' - all for just $49.95- when he realised it was a paper towel holder.:D
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • heretolearn_2
    heretolearn_2 Posts: 3,565 Forumite
    Options
    On another forum I go to that has lots of Americans, there's a thread at the moment about disposable paper guest towels. I get the impression these are not standard paper towels, but somehow more 'towelly'. You put them in the bathroom so guests don't have to dry their hands on the normal towel you also have in there! And most of them seem to find that quite a normal thing to have.

I've just posted saying I'd assume they'd nicked them from a public toilet - wonder how that's going to go down.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Ahh, anyone remember this A4 sized booklet which used to fall for free from certain Sunday newspapers? It has sadly died the death a few years ago but was a dangerous read....

:) Like a lot of people, I suspect, I used to peruse it for a giggle, then something would catch my eye, I'd read the description and catch myself thinking.......that's not a bad idea, actually.

One thing I remember fondly was a giant pair of yellow plastic paddle hands, which you used over your own hands to scoop up fallen leaves. And then there were special spiky overshoes so you could spike your lawn as you walked. Never mind using the plain ole garden fork for both tasks, where's the fun in that?

I never bought anything from it but it was quite un-outdownable, sometimes more interesting than the paper it accompanied.

PS they're not a patch on Innovations but Kleeneze catalogues fulfil some of the same entertainment purposes.......
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills