PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options
1232426282933

Comments

  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Here, here, eco. I have a hairdryer but never use it, so it's on it's way out. I have long, ridiculously thick hair, enough to cover 2-3 normal heads, but I just let it air-dry and it keeps it in very good condition plus I can get on with other things. My microwave is going to be offered up to colleagues first and then freecycled as I've decided that the little use I get from it doesn't justify giving it counter room in a small kitchen. I'm not into kitchen appliances much at all, the only one other than the MW being a goblet-type blender which I use once in blue moon to smooth h.m soups. Space is so cramped that I have the 2 parts of it in different cupboards and am reviewing the need for it at all.

    The joy of having less is that you have less cleaning to do.

    :D Less stuff = more life.

    I have a hairdryer since there's one screwed into the bathroom wall (our flat used to be a holiday rental) and removing it would be quite some mess. I used it a couple of times last winter to send a cheery gust down my pj pants before I put them on at night :rotfl: Hairdrying seems like the domain of people who spend far longer than I do getting ready.

    I love love love the stick blender my MIL gave me for my birthday. Takes up half the space of my old jug blender, and nothing gives it any bother. Use it many times each week - ends of bread turn into breadcrumbs, soup gets blended, make houmous and many other things I couldn't do by hand.

    I'd give almost anything for a bit more hair. Lost a heap with stress in my early teens and it never came back. On hair alone you couldn't guess me to be the same person in my childhood photos. I don't mind my grey, I'm just not too keen on seeing this much scalp through it.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Here, here, eco. I have a hairdryer but never use it, so it's on it's way out. I have long, ridiculously thick hair, enough to cover 2-3 normal heads, but I just let it air-dry and it keeps it in very good condition plus I can get on with other things. .


    My hair is long, but not very thick. I have a hairdryer I use once in a blue moon (all my blue moons come in the coldest days of winter though). I tend to wash mine then bundle it up...but its still wet the next day. :(

    MSE introduced me to conditioner only washing, which has made hair easier, and I use much cheaper conditioners than I used to (though I love the bottle of WEN I tried a few months ago) and buy other conditioners in TK Max when I see them. But styling products which my wildly curly hair needs to be presentable, are still the biggest expense ...frizz ease is about £5 a month, and then the hair ''cream'' is more, and I use it really as frugally as I can. I try other cheaper brands occasionally, but they tend to be less suited to my hair (I've come to the acceptance every curly hair is different...like Grey Quenn, DH and my mother, and sister, all have enough curly hair to do several people) and sometimes its more expensive to experiment.

    Mid week now, work at home days, I tend to wash hair, braid it (another reason it stays wet) and then leave it in for a few days, so as not to need to use product.

    I am slowly reverting to my natural colour, which has got a lot darker in the last x years ince I started dying.....but DH and my mother keep saying it doesn't suit me as well. I'm torn, because I do agree with them but really don't want to spend what I used to on my hair. :o
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    I have a hairdryer since there's one screwed into the bathroom wall (our flat used to be a holiday rental) and removing it would be quite some mess. I used it a couple of times last winter to send a cheery gust down my pj pants before I put them on at night :rotfl: Hairdrying seems like the domain of people who spend far longer than I do getting ready.

    I love love love the stick blender my MIL gave me for my birthday. Takes up half the space of my old jug blender, and nothing gives it any bother. Use it many times each week - ends of bread turn into breadcrumbs, soup gets blended, make houmous and many other things I couldn't do by hand.

    I'd give almost anything for a bit more hair. Lost a heap with stress in my early teens and it never came back. On hair alone you couldn't guess me to be the same person in my childhood photos. I don't mind my grey, I'm just not too keen on seeing this much scalp through it.
    :) Hello, Softstuff, I was wondering about those stick blender thingies. Are they up to the job of turning a litre or two of chunky veggie soups into something smooth? That's all I use the goblet-type one for anyway.

    :( Sorry to hear that you're follically-challenged. I inherited my thick hair from my Mum but she had a hormonal illness in her thirties and hers went very very thin, as in seeing the scalp, and never came back. Mine isn't as thick as it used to be but it's still thicker than most people's and makes hairdressers grumble. So, I'm making Mum trim it; she did it late last year and last week when I was over theirs at Easter. The downside is that you can do beggar-all with it, stylistically; if I make my parting a little off-centre, or pin it up, I get a scalp-ache from the weight of it after about 10 minutes.

    :o Mind you, I'm the original Low Maintenance Woman and probably would be too idle to do much with it, even if it were more ameniable....long hair is great because it looks like you're girlie and feminine and it's sooo much less work than short hair. I collect little skives as I go thru this vale of tears....no point in getting older if you don't get more devious!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Hello, Softstuff, I was wondering about those stick blender thingies. Are they up to the job of turning a litre or two of chunky veggie soups into something smooth? That's all I use the goblet-type one for anyway.
    That was my main use with the jug one. MIL got me a stainless steel one knowing that I have no patience and want to blend boiling soup, and sure enough it blends very smooth in next to no time. The first time I tried it it blended in about 5 seconds, but I was so astounded I did it a couple more times just to be sure :D

    Chickpeas with a little oil and cumin turn into houmous with a quick shzzzz, it blends ice (I just had to try it when I saw it in the instructions) for smoothies or cocktails if you're feeling posh, I blended meat and other bits for making Lahmacun (turkish pizza) which is a job the last one couldn't manage at all. I think I could sell the darned things now I'm so enthusiastic.

    This is the fella I got:
    http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1470

    I wouldn't have thought of buying it for myself, but it's been a great gift since it does everything and takes up half the space. Much easier to clean than the old blender too.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    That was my main use with the jug one. MIL got me a stainless steel one knowing that I have no patience and want to blend boiling soup, and sure enough it blends very smooth in next to no time. The first time I tried it it blended in about 5 seconds, but I was so astounded I did it a couple more times just to be sure :D

    Chickpeas with a little oil and cumin turn into houmous with a quick shzzzz, it blends ice (I just had to try it when I saw it in the instructions) for smoothies or cocktails if you're feeling posh, I blended meat and other bits for making Lahmacun (turkish pizza) which is a job the last one couldn't manage at all. I think I could sell the darned things now I'm so enthusiastic.

    This is the fella I got:
    http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1470

    I wouldn't have thought of buying it for myself, but it's been a great gift since it does everything and takes up half the space. Much easier to clean than the old blender too.
    :) Wow, thanks for taking the trouble to post the linkie, that's a good-looking bit of kit. I'll take a personal recommendation any time; have bookmarked it for future shopping needs.

    Overall, I'm downsizing my stuff and realising that so many of the things which I'm finding unsuitable or unnecessary were gifts (new of cast-offs) and not right for the way I live. Gonna thin out everything and re-stock only as really needs are identified.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, a stick-blender will make very short work of turning a pan of chunky soup into a smooth one. I use mine to make harissa from raw, halved chillies into a paste. Also, turning cooked chick-peas into hummus takes only a few minutes.

    I am also blessed with long, thick, curly, blonde hair and never have the patience to let my hair dry naturally, it just takes far too long.

    LIR: I use the cheapest "Volume" styling mousse from Lidl for a couple of quid and find that it separates the curls quite well if I don't mess with it too much. Messing with it just makes it REALLY frizzy which isn't necessarily the look I'm aiming for. At my age I'm in danger of looking too much like a witch!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am also blessed with long, thick, curly, blonde hair and never have the patience to let my hair dry naturally, it just takes far too long.

    LIR: I use the cheapest "Volume" styling mousse from Lidl for a couple of quid and find that it separates the curls quite well if I don't mess with it too much. Messing with it just makes it REALLY frizzy which isn't necessarily the look I'm aiming for. At my age I'm in danger of looking too much like a witch!

    Another curlytop! I'll try that mousse next time I go into LIDL Thank you for the recommendation. Generally though I fnd mousses just don't hold for long enough before a re wet/styling product to defrizz. Because I'm out in the weather a lot my hair takes a beating. e.g. went out now since last post in this thread with nice hair and came in looking like a bush. :o The creamy stuff tends to be a bit heavier.

    DH, sister and mother have much thicker hair and need less ''stuff'' to weigh it done. Both the individual hairs and the amount isn't so impressive on my head and it goes frizzy much quicker, but styles much smoother IYSwIM.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm torn over advertising, especially on the telly. There are some catch-phrases that just really stick, but they don't make me buy the product :D It also makes for interesting answers when completing surveys, cuz I don't take a lot of notice of the product.

    I don't understand the excitement for:-
    on-line bingo, particularly with the disclaimer to 'gamble sensibly',
    gossip magazines,
    anything endorsed by a 'celebrity',
    ridiculous story-lines like the famous coffee & now a telephone service,
    & there's a lot more that I won't bore you with.

    I'd love a house with rooms big enough to wander around unhindered yet who can fit everything into one two-door wardrobe, or would only have one wardrobe in a room that size!

    I tend to read the ingredients for cook-in sauces & things to have a bash at making my own so maybe I do note some advertising & use it to try new things, just not in the way the company was intending :D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DH, sister and mother have much thicker hair and need less ''stuff'' to weigh it done. Both the individual hairs and the amount isn't so impressive on my head and it goes frizzy much quicker, but styles much smoother IYSwIM.

    Actually, weighing it down is the last thing I want: I just need curl-definition. I've given up trying to fight nature as nature will always win, especially when it's humid.

    LIR: when was the last tine you let your hair dry naturally with no styling product on it?
  • globetraveller
    globetraveller Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't read all the pages yet but someone mentioned colour catchers. I actually buy them as I am sure I save money using them. I don't seperate out clothes now- everything goes in together. One wash instead of 2 or more.
    Air fresheners- even when the tesco dtd promotion meant you could get them for free I never bought any:)
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards