PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a carton of Morrisons juice that claims it's "100% squeezed" I have no idea what that means
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    I have a carton of Morrisons juice that claims it's "100% squeezed" I have no idea what that means

A hug in every jug.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • DebbieR
    DebbieR Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a small plastic box which my Gran gave me when DH and I were setting up home nearly 25 years ago. It's a device which you put a hardboiled egg into and it turns it into a square egg, ideal for sandwiches lol. Needless to say, it's never been used, along with a glass pie funnel(?) thing, a set of fish knives and a genuine 1980's plastic cocktail shaker. In fact they're all still in the same box in garage after three house moves! Still, its something to pass on to the grandchildren.......
  • darwins_mum
    darwins_mum Posts: 449 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2011 at 7:46AM
    Options
    My hair is long, but not very thick. I have a hairdryer I use once in a blue moon (all my blue moons come in the coldest days of winter though). I tend to wash mine then bundle it up...but its still wet the next day. :(

MSE introduced me to conditioner only washing, which has made hair easier, and I use much cheaper conditioners than I used to (though I love the bottle of WEN I tried a few months ago) and buy other conditioners in TK Max when I see them. But styling products which my wildly curly hair needs to be presentable, are still the biggest expense ...frizz ease is about £5 a month, and then the hair ''cream'' is more, and I use it really as frugally as I can. I try other cheaper brands occasionally, but they tend to be less suited to my hair (I've come to the acceptance every curly hair is different...like Grey Quenn, DH and my mother, and sister, all have enough curly hair to do several people) and sometimes its more expensive to experiment.

Mid week now, work at home days, I tend to wash hair, braid it (another reason it stays wet) and then leave it in for a few days, so as not to need to use product.

I am slowly reverting to my natural colour, which has got a lot darker in the last x years ince I started dying.....but DH and my mother keep saying it doesn't suit me as well. I'm torn, because I do agree with them but really don't want to spend what I used to on my hair. :o

When I got fed up of the amount I was spending on hair care products, I shaved all my hair off. A little extreme, but I was swimming every day and the chlorine broke most of my hair anyway, which resulted in the need for more products, more expense etc.

I also sold my straighteners on ebay that had cost £100, purchased simply because the manufacturers convinced me they were the only ones that could tame thick hair!
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2015 £48.58/£200 :eek:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DebbieR wrote: »
    I have a small plastic box which my Gran gave me when DH and I were setting up home nearly 25 years ago. It's a device which you put a hardboiled egg into and it turns it into a square egg, ideal for sandwiches lol. Needless to say, it's never been used, along with a glass pie funnel(?) thing, a set of fish knives and a genuine 1980's plastic cocktail shaker. In fact they're all still in the same box in garage after three house moves! Still, its something to pass on to the grandchildren.......
    :rotfl:They're gonna love you for that, DebbieR! My Mum has a small device into which you slot a boiled egg then pull down this multistrand cheesewire thingie to cut egg into skinny slices. I can recall if from my 1970s childhood and it's still on the premises......One day, it may become mine. :p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    A hug in every jug.

:D:D:D Love it!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Seeing the posts about the free catalogues reminded me of B1lly Con/no/ly [spelling is not my forte today :o] describing a couple sitting on a sofa with a big slipper & the fore-runner to a snug fleecy thingy :rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :rotfl:They're gonna love you for that, DebbieR! My Mum has a small device into which you slot a boiled egg then pull down this multistrand cheesewire thingie to cut egg into skinny slices. I can recall if from my 1970s childhood and it's still on the premises......One day, it may become mine. :p

I remember those!!!! An essential in every home!

Lakeland has loads of useless gadgets [ as well as some useful ones] - I find myself going through the website putting into the basket all the gadgets I must have and then when I look at the list its over £50 - so I delete them. Why do I do it?
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• FrugalWorker
    FrugalWorker Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    First off I don't have lots of gadgets, but we do have one of those special slicers for boiled eggs - and it regularly gets used. I bought it for OH for Christmas one year as part of his present - he had been looking at it longingly in the shops and for the couple of quid who was I not to fulfill dreams. It gets used each time he has boiled egg is in sambo's, but I hate it as it's a pain to clean - the egg gets stuck on to it. But it makes him happy.
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186 Forumite
    Options
    This thread has made me laugh so much!

I'd have to say just about anything from Kleeneze, JML or Betterware... I also cannot stand to pay much more than a couple of quid for shower gel, I got two big tubes of body scrub for 19p each not long ago :D
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure