PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

1272829303133»

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought I will join in this discussion...
    I think it all depends on who you are and where you live...

Bottled water - in my house, I agree it would be waste of money. For some it isn't, some of my friends have to buy water as their is disgusting

Airfreshener - agree you can open the window, and I do, but I don't want it to just not smell, but also smell nice:-) I don't use it all the time, just before having visit or something.

That non touch soap dispenser thingy - absolutely no 1 of waste of money in my eyes!!!!!! There is absolutely nothing to justify it. I can even justify the nice and soft toilet paper (but that is luxury not essential and I know it), but not that soap dispenser thingy!!!

:-))))))))))))
  • Any
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :rotfl:They're gonna love you for that, DebbieR! My Mum has a small device into which you slot a boiled egg then pull down this multistrand cheesewire thingie to cut egg into skinny slices. I can recall if from my 1970s childhood and it's still on the premises......One day, it may become mine. :p

I have one of those, when I was little it was used all the time, now I have one of mine I use it mainly for parties preparation or my OH uses it for his egg sandwich (I like egg mayo and I grate my eggs for it..)
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Any wrote: »
    I thought I will join in this discussion...
    I think it all depends on who you are and where you live...

Bottled water - in my house, I agree it would be waste of money. For some it isn't, some of my friends have to buy water as their is disgusting

:-))))))))))))

buy a filter?! my water is not great all year round, but completely minging in january and february... but we have a filter.
  • Any
    Flibsey wrote: »
    buy a filter?! my water is not great all year round, but completely minging in january and february... but we have a filter.

I am sure they haven't thought of that?!
    It's minging. That would have to be some kind of filter.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Crikey! I can't imagine what was wrong with your towels. Maybe not rinsed thoroughly enough? I have to dry all my laundry on an airer in the kitchen as I don't have any outside space, so no gentle zephyrs reach them. I don't use fabric conditioner on them and they're always soft and fluffy. Must be the vinegar in the final rinse.
    :) I never use fabric conditoner or even vinegar and have to dry everything inc towels on an airer indoors and never notice towels going stiff and cardboard-ish. This is a very hard-water area and there's nothing precious about the towels themselves.

Mum (same kinda hard water) is mostly able to line-dry with occasionally finishing things off on an airer if the weather is bad. She uses fabric conditoner all the time. I cannot say I notice any textural difference in our respective laundry but the fab con leaves quite a pleasant smell.

For me, it falls into the CBA-with-that-waste-of-money group of products, but each to their own.

On the subject to food packaging, mini-packs of stuff aimed at the lunch-box market always astonish me with their expense and wastefulness....got wee tupperwares and will travel.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • juliapenguin
    juliapenguin Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I can't imagine life without hair conditioner....I have dry curly hair its an essential here, as are a precious few lotions and potions for my fussy skin.

I'm only part-way through reading this thread so sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has said, but my skin LOVES organic coconut oil from the health food shop - I paid about £13 for a massive jar and it's lasted me 6 months already. I've got horribly difficult skin - over-sensitive, acne-prone but still dry and itchy in places. I know it sounds terrible, like my skin would look greasy, but I put it on at night and leave it, then in the morning put it on again but after a couple of minutes wipe it off with a hot wet facecloth. That's it - nothing else at all. It doesn't look greasy at all, and no dry patches. I used to pay £29 for a tiny tub of L'Occitane. I also use the coconut oil in the bath - I throw in a blob - and my skin is amazingly soft now, and on my hands and feet. It's a regular miracle....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure