PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Ahh, anyone remember this A4 sized booklet which used to fall for free from certain Sunday newspapers? It has sadly died the death a few years ago but was a dangerous read....

:) Like a lot of people, I suspect, I used to peruse it for a giggle, then something would catch my eye, I'd read the description and catch myself thinking.......that's not a bad idea, actually.

One thing I remember fondly was a giant pair of yellow plastic paddle hands, which you used over your own hands to scoop up fallen leaves. And then there were special spiky overshoes so you could spike your lawn as you walked. Never mind using the plain ole garden fork for both tasks, where's the fun in that?

I never bought anything from it but it was quite un-outdownable, sometimes more interesting than the paper it accompanied.

PS they're not a patch on Innovations but Kleeneze catalogues fulfil some of the same entertainment purposes.......

I remember innovations or something similar, which prompted my dad to buy a gadget 'to cut your hair like a professional stylist' LMAO - he decided to try it out on my bro (my hair was waist length and mum refused point blank to let him try it on me). I still laugh my socks off at this memory - the gadget looked like a hedge trimmer only much smaller and he did as instructions said 'stroke through the hair from scalp to end' and ...........voila! my bro was bald in a nice broad streak! mum shrieked and I was crying laughing - Dad stood there looking shell shocked and bro was only six or so and started screaming............jeez it was chaos! mum and dad started yelling at each other, I (still laughing, took little bro up to bed and we played for a while til he fell asleep). mum took him over the local barbers in the morning where he had a short back and sides (and top)! mum didnt speak to dad for weeks and I teased the hell out of little bro!
    Put me off sending for gadgets tho!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    This has brought back quite a few memories for me - my dad sent off for a number of gadgets from this little magazine..........
    there was the fly screen for doors - mum hates flies with a passion and it seemed quite a reasonable premise. you positioned the screen on the inside of the door and it had a flap thingy in the middle. so, it arrived and dad stuck it to the inside of the back door........it stopped the flies getting in..........but it also stopped you getting out! you had to pull back the flap, insert yourself in the opening then push against the front flap and squeeze out!!! mum wasnt impressed! us kids thought it was hilarious, but every time you went in or out the flap opened wider, a couple of days later we had what looked like a spider web with a huge hole in the middle!

Dad wasnt deterred - I think his last purchase was the 'chopper'. apparently it chopped onions etc by banging down on the handle (like starting a spinning top). The thing arrived and it was - er - rather small. mum had to chop the onion before it would fit in - then dad did the hand banging bit - and got - a lot of big bits and some mush. Mum chopped the onion a bit finer - dad did the banging bit - and got .........still lots of big bits but more mush! mum rolled her eyes and chopped the onion even smaller ..........success! as mum pointed out - if I wanted onion mush I would have used the mincer! ROFL!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vivw wrote: »
    prepackage vegetables, cut up fruit, premade mash, in fact most ready meals

They're probably quite handy for elderly people who perhaps live on their own though and can't chop, peel, mash stuff any more.
  • Justamum
    Options
    Nicoll wrote: »
    I hate all the pressure of the likes of Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines, Easter etc... Where everything is suddenly classed a special gift for your Mother/Father/lover etc... This makes people think they have to buy expensive presents when most people would rather just know they were loved by peoples actions all year round.

Fully agree. We don't bother with cards, presents, etc for any of those - or for our anniversary either.
  • Justamum
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Actually I would say the biggest "culprits" are often the "biggest bill" items - ie who on earth decreed that the average wedding costs £20,000 and that children of 16 should have hundreds of £s spent on school Proms?

I've never understood why anyone can say they "can't afford" to get married as a wedding costs so much money. It's the marriage that's important, not the big frock and the party. Our wedding cost nada - we got married in court in South Africa.

Proms. Why, oh why do we have to copy America on this one? Unfortunately my DD1 is having hers next year and I can't be the miserable one and say she can't go, so I have to find money somewhere to buy her a dress. Luckily she knows we don't have much so hasn't found one that's too expensive. I'm going to go into charity shops and second hand clothes shops too though!
  • Justamum
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Seeing the posts about the free catalogues reminded me of B1lly Con/no/ly [spelling is not my forte today :o] describing a couple sitting on a sofa with a big slipper & the fore-runner to a snug fleecy thingy :rotfl:

I remember that - and he said to scare off burglars you should get two of the huge slippers and put them in front of the fire so the burglar would think a giant lived there!
  • choogirl
    choogirl Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Options
    A hairdryer is something that my youngest son waves vaguely at his head every morning whilst at the same time reading some book or looking at the computer. A lot of the time I am sure it is warning the air behind and around him and quite possibly his backside, :D rather than his hair. I have yet to convince him that if he wrapped his very straight but very thick mop of hair in a towel first while he did something else it would absorb a lot of the moisture.

He then hurtles out for his bus which he quite often misses. Drying his hair is often the excuse for missing his bus. Getting up earlier somehow doesn't seem to occur to him and I am sure he thinks I don't realise that he lays on the bathroom floor and lets the shower run so I think he is actually showering! I even caught him taking his quilt in there one day.:rotfl:

Brilliant, this has just made me cry with laughter :rotfl::rotfl:
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    calgon, special milk for cats ha ha.
    :footie:
  • Justamum
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »

What's wrong with water I wonder? That's all our cat gets.
  • thisisace
    thisisace Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »

You feed your cat diluted Calgon instead of milk? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing