PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I've never understood why anyone can say they "can't afford" to get married as a wedding costs so much money. It's the marriage that's important, not the big frock and the party. Our wedding cost nada - we got married in court in South Africa.

I completely agree with this one - we went to the registry office with my sister & hubbies brother as witnesses - think it cost about £100 for the registry office? Then my Mum & my auntie had laid on some delicious buffet food back at our flat. There was only 16 of us (immediate family and a couple of close friends) but if we hadn't been worried about putting mothers' noses out of joint we'd probably have just snuck off to the registry office with two witnesses...
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That new advert for fabric conditioner for coloured fabrics is really getting on my nerves. Do people really fall for all this tosh?
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    I do without air fresheners because I think they're dangerous. same goes for Dettol. the washing conditioners which release extra smell when you move; not only expense but because I seem to be allergic to a great many of them.

I don't use carpet freshener (cheap washing powder does the job ;) )

I prefer good old vanish soap bar or fairy household soap bars for stain removal. the fairy household also gets grated, 1 bar melted in 1.5l water, then concoction is poured into jars and left to solidify to make a jelly or softsoap which is amazing for softening ground in dirt on kitchen worktops and dried on stains on clothing. glycerine works for this too. even strong coffee stains which were still visible after 4 years on my favorite white linen skirt. I thought I'm not throwing it away until I've tried one last thing. fairy softsoap: bob's yer uncle. excellent for blood, mud and chocolate too. I have a five year old. it's been well tested.

I did once try making our own shower gel with scented soap, but it smelled funny after a week so I gave up with that one.

once a month I run the washer, empty, on a hot wash. nothing but vinegar in the drawer. I once worked out that say the average household does 2-3 loads of washing per day, and were adding Calgon to each wash, if they stopped and saved the money they'd spend on Calgon, after 18mths to 2 years they could buy a whole new washer. our old one broke after 4 years of heavy use. when taken apart to make a barbeque there was no limescale in it. we NEVER use calgon and live in a hard water area.

"ironing water"... what?! I boil filtered water (have a filter fitted so it's not a hassle) and if I want a slight smell, I put some of that water in a cheap spray bottle and add a little washing conditioner. shake, spray, nice smelling clothes. great f they've been stored for a while. also works as a sort of el-cheapo febreeze type thing, only doesn't smell all chemically.

I use vinegar if I have time to let limescale soak, like on the shower head for instance, if not I use cheap toilet limescale remover gel. it's great on taps and makes my kitchen sink sparkle!! don't mix with other chemicals though, you could inadvertantly make chlorine gas. we have a glass shower screen so I get some of the wonderstuff loo cleaner (at the moment, tesco bog standard pardon the pun), put it on a sponge, scrunch and rub the shower screen all over. 2 mins to work, then rinse off and finally buff with a chamois, some newspaper or a microfibre glasscloth so you don't get streaks.

more stain removal: milk works on biro ink. vinegar soaking works to remove the smell of diesel from clothing. husband is an engineer ;) but if using it to remove diesel smell, DO NOT tumble dry or smell will miraculously reappear.

I soak oven pans in a solution of boiling water and bio washing powder (asda smartprice, 79p for small box, but I buy the big box because we use it for the clothes and kitchen floors too, it's about £4). Even my second hand le creuset pans get the washing powder treatment. sprinkly some in, pour on a kettle full of boiling water, leave to soak. stains/cooked on muck = gone.

I make my own dishcloths and teatowels from old brushed cotton cot sheets/bed sheets found in charity shops and at jumbles. I only tend to use the white ones because when they start to look a bit stained or grubby, they can be bleached. they're incredibly absorbant and soft enough for precious plates etc.

I use an old fashioned linseed and beeswax polish for my wooden furniture (Lord Sheraton), and for dusting I don't use pledge or similar, I use a slightly damp cloth! picks up the dust without the chemicals....

oh my goodness I have so many old fashioned cleaning tips hahahaha!!! sorry this is a bit long!
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    Maggie_Bob wrote: »
    I completely agree with this one - we went to the registry office with my sister & hubbies brother as witnesses - think it cost about £100 for the registry office? Then my Mum & my auntie had laid on some delicious buffet food back at our flat. There was only 16 of us (immediate family and a couple of close friends) but if we hadn't been worried about putting mothers' noses out of joint we'd probably have just snuck off to the registry office with two witnesses...

our wedding was £90 for the service in a registry office and my mum did the reception at her house as her gift to us. my dress was in the sale at deehams and cost £80, although I did have a corset made for me. Jim's suit hire was cheap beacuse we had a Burton's voucher. my mum made my bridesmaid dresses and my maid of honour wore her own dress. my shoes were from ebay and my work paid for the contact lenses I wore (I was a VDU user so they would pay up to £65 each time I needed a new prescription of glasses or contacts).
    my aunt took the photos on my camera and I got them printed when there was a cheap photobox deal.

my mum, mum's best friend and aunt made our cake too. they each did a layer ;)

We wanted a marriage, not a big flouncy day.

6 years later and it's still rated as one of the best days of my life EVER.

:rotfl:
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nicoll wrote: »
    I hate all the pressure of the likes of Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines, Easter etc... Where everything is suddenly classed a special gift for your Mother/Father/lover etc... This makes people think they have to buy expensive presents when most people would rather just know they were loved by peoples actions all year round.

Only a few years ago it was just a pressie for crimbo. M/F day card and maybe flowers for mum, easter choc eggs for kids and flowers plus card for valentines.

Some of the suggestions for pressies for these days are crazy-think I saw an ad for a pink laptop as a val pressie for a girlfriend!!!!!!!
    Or an ipod for Fday. Plus they try to push food buying into the occasions as well. Retailers desparately trying to turn any old "special day" into a mini christmas.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• ALIBOBSY
    Options
    Spiggle wrote: »
    I was doing an online order at Sainsbugs last night when vulgar expletives were heard from my room. When OH asked what the problem was I just told him that "...... people buy bottles of scented water to put in their steam irons!!!!!"

Enough said!

Spigs

This stuff is lethal. After baby 4 was born mil kindly took some ironing to do for us and used this stuff-it brought all the kids and our skins up in rashes, my son looked like he had been scalded all over :eek:. I only use non bio washing powder, but we aren't that sensitive.

Ali x

• ALIBOBSY
    Options
    Well, in my family a father certainly doesn't! My two sisters have had three weddings between them and my father didn't contribute a single penny to any of them. When I was a teenager he said that he'd buy me a ladder so that I could elope. I don't think he was joking now.

My youngest sister wanted a fancy church wedding, so she got one. Which she and her husband borrowed from the bank to pay for. a £2k dress, sit-down dinner for family, an evening party for dozens. One thing that confused me was that she wasn't a church-goer and another was why have a church wedding with the daughter you already have, and had out of wedlock, as a bridesmaid?

I think they were still paying for it all when they separated. Absolute madness.

Weddings are mad. A colleage OH had a few years ago put off a consultants appointment about his heart because the family had spent so much on sons wedding (over 30k but no insurance crazy).
    A year later he was on the waiting list for a bypass-alot further down than he would have been and there were problems with the marriage.
    Shortly after he had a sudden heart attack and sadly passed away-the marriage failed just before. So sad.

Ali x

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    Flibsey wrote: »
    We wanted a marriage, not a big flouncy day.

I wonder how many people are still paying off a very expensive wedding when they are getting divorced? My mum worked with a woman who borrowed thousands to pay for her daughter's wedding, and was still paying it off 5 years later when they were getting divorced. I think some people expect the fairytale of the day to last forever, and when it doesn't it can often end the marriage.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Only a few years ago it was just a pressie for crimbo. M/F day card and maybe flowers for mum, easter choc eggs for kids and flowers plus card for valentines.

Some of the suggestions for pressies for these days are crazy-think I saw an ad for a pink laptop as a val pressie for a girlfriend!!!!!!!
    Or an ipod for Fday. Plus they try to push food buying into the occasions as well. Retailers desparately trying to turn any old "special day" into a mini christmas.

Ali x

I first came across this idea of presents for other occasions about 30 years ago in my first job. One of my colleagues didn't buy Easter eggs for her nieces and nephews, but bought them more expensive presents instead. It baffled me. Surely for Easter it's eggs or nothing?
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    separate washing powders for colours and whites.
    :footie:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport