PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    coolcait wrote: »
    Adding to the idea that one person's essential is another's 'what on earth did you buy that for??!!'...

I adore stews/casseroles, and when I get the notion for having one mid-week, my trusty slow cooker has it ready for me when I get home from work :T

OH doesn't 'get' my love for the slow cooker. But hes a big fan of pulses, and uses his pressure cooker for them. Quick and easy, in his view. I don't see the appeal - the damn thing scares me. :o

Now I can use this idea to introduce him to the idea that my slow cooker is an 'essential', so thank you to ceridwen.

And I second the idea of freezing cooked pulses in batches. It keeps OH fed and happy for several meals. ;)

Only one little corollary to that - ie kidney beans need an initial 10 minutes fast boiling in a saucepan (due to toxins in them) - before continuing the cooking in a slowcooker. Other dried beans can be done from the outset in it. (Hence another reason I tend to buy the cheapie canned kidney beans - ie 18p a can touch - so that I dont have to do any initial boiling, as they dont need cooking at all.).
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 April 2011 at 8:56AM
    Options
    cathij0269 wrote: »
    On a larger scale, am I the only person left in the world who doesn't see a point in tumble dryers and dishwashers? I have 4 children and have never/will never own either. .

I don't have a tumble dryer, nor want one, but Iwould like a dishwasher. The clue ere might be tht when I cater for Christmas etc there are no kids to help out washing up/laying tables etc.

I lay the chrstmas table (and dinner party tables when possible) the night before, and its often the next day when I clear :o sometimes.....the day after that. Washing up from a normal meal might take 5-20 mns, but after a huge christmas meal? No way! Its a HUGE JOB involving doing some till the dish drainer thingy is full. Stopping, starting to dry some of that up (sometimes) or waiting till its dry and then starting again. A dishwasher would still be several loads but the idea that its doable in such a short time is just too intimidating!
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ..and am I the only one that instantly thinks "Oh..yeah:cool:" when I see a pricetag on something that says "ONLY £x".

To me - if something says its "Only...." the price mentioned then that is supposed to mean its a particularly cheap price. Well - even as someone who usually buys things from the mid price range example of whatever-it-is I find the price after the word "Only..." is a high one - so it certainly wont fit the bill as "Wow - it only cost so much" factor for most people....:mad:

...and I can often find the exact same product somewhere else at a cheaper price (which is, I guess, the "name of the game" here...ie the shop-owner wants you to think "This must be the cheapest price there is for this item - so I had better buy it here then....").
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 April 2011 at 8:16AM
    Options
    :D Wow, there are so many posts up here which I could've done myself, too many to name-check.

100% behind the comments on oily skin/ toiletries etc, just wish I'd had someone to guide me to the paths of commonsense when I was an impressionable young lass. Found out by trial and error that the less I did to my skin and hair, the better both were.

Mind you, the plus side of oily skin in yoof is that by middle age (where I am now) you have evened-out to normal and don't have a line on your face, which makes me smile. (OK, I will admit to a few tiny smile lines around my baby greens, but that's all).

Ceridwen I have spent my entire life observing my fellow human beings with a "What the heck?!" sort of thing going on in my head and have come to the conclusion that I am:

a) not normal
    b) distinctly weird
    c) possibly an alien lifeform abandoned here at birth as part of an anthroplogical experiment.

Since I think I'm perfectly sane and sensible, I'm trending towards c). Will just have to finish my report and maybe the spaceship will pick me up and take me back to my own people.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Miss_Penelope
    Options
    I haven't read all the thread so apologies if anyone has said this before but just by stopping watching television you are not bombarded with not just advertising but also this idea that you need to keep up with these celebrities. That is why most people are in debt because they are trying to fund a celebrity lifestyle on a working man/woman's wage. My TV only gets used for watching the odd film at the weekend. Get out and live your life without watching others acting out lives (soaps) for you to watch. Get rid of magazines. I haven't read them for years. Believe me it is the best thing I ever did giving up watching tv and reading trash magazines that make you feel ugly and want to buy the latest beauty serum. I am certain it was a major step in me and my family getting out of debt and living the frugal (but very fulfilled) life.
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    After just moving to my new house last week, and to find the person before me was a heavy smoker. Flash with Bleach was supposed to do miracles.............. NOPE!! just left doors all streaky with bleach and the offending nicotene stains. I am, from now on going to use Neat bleach or put it in a bottle mixed with water because it done a job so much better than any of the off the shelf products! Once all the "crap" I bought has been used up I will only use bleach. Another trick someone told me was Zoflora in a bottle mixed with water to give a fresh scent...............
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    I haven't read all the thread so apologies if anyone has said this before but just by stopping watching television you are not bombarded with not just advertising but also this idea that you need to keep up with these celebrities. That is why most people are in debt because they are trying to fund a celebrity lifestyle on a working man/woman's wage. My TV only gets used for watching the odd film at the weekend. Get out and live your life without watching others acting out lives (soaps) for you to watch. Get rid of magazines. I haven't read them for years. Believe me it is the best thing I ever did giving up watching tv and reading trash magazines that make you feel ugly and want to buy the latest beauty serum. I am certain it was a major step in me and my family getting out of debt and living the frugal (but very fulfilled) life.
    :D Hooray!!!!!! Another no-TV fan. Gave mine up in 1987 and can't imagine where I'd find the time to watch one now. It's so liberating, all the carp just flows across the top of my skull and I save over £100 smackeroonies each year. Mind you, I have had some totally maddening go-rounds with TV Licensing who seem to think that the law of the land allows them to come into your home without a warrant and question you under PACE, according to one of their letters to me. I checked with the Police and it doesn't. They carded me 2 summers ago and threatened to come back but never did. I think a lot of my neighbours should have licenses and probably don't but if the card-leaver knocked on some doors nearby in Shoebox Towers they'd have met some extremely dangerous people and had the s*it scared out of them.:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Boxes of cake mix, pancake mix "just add an egg and milk" (so it's what - flour?), £70 steam irons (mine was £7 from the supermarket) - someone actually said "I couldn't live without my super duper brand (or whatever it was) steam iron" - COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT!!!!
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esmer wrote: »
    After just moving to my new house last week, and to find the person before me was a heavy smoker. Flash with Bleach was supposed to do miracles.............. NOPE!!

I suspect you may have got a better result with some Sugar Soap. That'll remove almost anything from anything else, especially any moisture from your hands when you're using it.

I've also been impressed with that Stardrops formulation which contains ammonia. Using rubber gloves, of course.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    esmer wrote: »
    After just moving to my new house last week, and to find the person before me was a heavy smoker. Flash with Bleach was supposed to do miracles.............. NOPE!! just left doors all streaky with bleach and the offending nicotene stains. I am, from now on going to use Neat bleach or put it in a bottle mixed with water because it done a job so much better than any of the off the shelf products! Once all the "crap" I bought has been used up I will only use bleach. Another trick someone told me was Zoflora in a bottle mixed with water to give a fresh scent...............
    :)Esmer, when I moved into my flat it was minging from the former tenant who was a heavy smoker. I coined the phrase Kippered Magnolia for the shade in the bathroom. The so-called white woodwork was beige, it was gross. The thing which worked for me was a very strong solution of soda crystals in very hot water (use gloves, hun, it's a powerful degreasant and won't do your mitts any favours). Wiped it on with a scratchy sponge and off with the smooth side. You'll need to rinse with fresh water. You can also use a solution of sugar soap which is a bit more expensive but doesn't leave streaks (you need to rinse soda crystal water away carefully).

Then, if you're redecorating with emulsion over smoke stained ceilings or walls, there's a risk it'll bleed thru into the new paint, particularly if repainting in white. The fix for this is to dilute 1 part PVA adhesive (any hardware store) to 5 parts water and paint on first. Works for water stains and on fresh plaster, too.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills