PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can understand what you are saying about the whole work life balance thing Emm. When you work a shorter day there is this expectation that you "should" be able to get all sorts of things done at home too - and that can be harder than doing a full day.

Oh yes and the garden. Our miniature buddleia have gone mad this year and they dont seem to know they arent full size! They are great for the bees and butterflies though.

Right, need to shift myself. Work this morning, appointment with CAMHS this afternoon (really looking forward to that) then more work in job no. 2. Have a good day everyone x
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Messies!

Dibuzz, I`m left-handed but my right thumb/wrist is worse, and thinking about it I do use it a lot - maybe subconsciously trying to keep the dominant hand in working order longer? (Oh dear, theories again!!!)

YL, I`ve been thinking of trying to get some buddleia in our garden. I know they can be a bit inclined to take over, but they`d have plenty to compete with here.

I`m quite pleased as I got loads done yesterday, it didn`t rain but I took the chance eventually and got everything dry - WM was on all day! I`ve just got one set of bedding in now then there can`t be anything else left to wash.
    Dry stuff is all put away, and kitchen sink clear and shiny.
    I`ve been to farmshop today for more wild bird mixed food and sunflower seeds, so had to do a bit of caravan tetris to accommodate 2 sacks.
    DS`s room is still a work in progress, but it`s bins day today so his carp can go straight out, not via the sofa!
    I`ve got a simple supper planned for tonight (German bratwurst from Aldi, yum, with salad.) and thawing some beef that I`ll cook slowly today with tomatoes parsley & cinnamon, then tomorrow add the orzo pasta and cheese on top, looks `special` but easy if you have time or prep & cook in advance. DS`s GF is great, not a fussy type to cook for.

Hope everyone`s having a decent day, it`s a bit cooler here but still hot and damp.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Messies!

I`m actually feeling quite pleased, having got quite a bit of stuff done in this little patch of time off, bu without overdoing things and stressing.
    I put the finishing touches to the cushion I made for best friend`s birthday and got it posted off in time.
    I have - at last! - got rid of the dead WM that was on the patio in front of the log shelter where DS attempted to take it to bits.
    I have had a bargain and dealt with it promptly - a load of lamb kidneys for 50p (Morrisons YS) now trimmed, soaked in milk, rinsed and put in freezer.
    Tonight`s beef and pasta thing is smelling lovely in the oven, and there should be loads left for tomorrow too.
    And I have cleaned kitchen, and shined the sink!
    On the Down side though...
    DS has put a load of carp from his bedroom in spare room of Doom (but promised to get it out of there when his GF goes home)
    My bedroom is a bit messy and could do with Henrying, but CBA now
    Early shift tomorrow, then a string of lates. Not likely to get much done in the house with that shift pattern, but it`ll keep.
    It`ll have to!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having a quick check in while relaxing. DIL is away so we are helping with the gorgeous boys. They are exhausting, but lovely.

Emm, I agree that it's easier to do long days, you have to drive in snd back anyway. And judging by what you said about parking, I'm thinking you can't put your foot down to get to work, thanks to our daft sowed limits here.

Dibuzz, my tai chi teacher taught us some really good hand exercises, which I have helped me.

YL and Alex, hope you are well. I don't want to think what our garden will be like after three weeks away.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    I've been shocked and stunned for the past few days - we are going floor shopping on Saturday! I can't believe that all it took to make it a priority was to say "no it doesn't" when DH said the living room looked fine! He said he looked at it objective for the first time and agreed! Wow!

I had a blitz this morning as we have a plumber coming round this evening. I'm at the shop this afternoon so won't have time to do anything when I get home. It's a good thing as I need to get things ship shape anyway as my brother and his girlfriend are coming to stay this weekend. We're going to see Tom Jones, sad to say I've just looked at the weather forecast, think I'm going to need wellies and a poncho.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Just popping in quickly, need to get a shower and get ready for work. Had a blitz on the utility, kitchen and office last night so they look a bit cleaner and tidier. Just need to get OH to move the fishing tackle that seems to have take up residence in the utility.

I need to make a plan for today as I dont seem to be managing my time very well with the kids being on holiday. I sometimes think I should write myself a timetable for the day so I get the things done that need to be done! The priority for this aft is to get more up to date with job number 2 before DS2 needs collecting from tennis.

Have a good day everyone x
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    The plumber is coming back this afternoon to do the job, it's quite a simple thing thankfully so there shouldn't be too much mess. One of the blokes was very interested in Big Grey bunny apparently, I hope he doesn't think he'll be able to give her a pet!

I'm trying to get through the mountain of laundry that has somehow built up and just generally putting around today.

Have a good day.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My home is a mess, and this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5024896

Is why....
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    raksha wrote: »

oh, what a cutie!
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    edited 2 August 2014 at 1:08AM
    Options
    Hi Messies!

Been MIA (work) but read quickly here had no time to post.

Pol- Hope you`re enjoying time with grandsons, make the most of every minute of it hun, you can rest up when you come home.

Alec E - good luck with the floor shopping tomorrow, hope the plumber survives he attentions of Big Grey Bun!

Raksha, that is wonderful news, welcome to your new pup. Please post some more pics here too. Best reason in the world for a messy house, IMO! Our next-door`s daughter has a new-ish baby girl, and also a new border collie pup. They spend a lot of time here with her mum, and I feel a bit shifty that I`ve made FAR more broody fuss of the pup than the baby....

YL, good luck with timetables if you are able to keep to them. I find it impossible here because DS/DGD`s mama are always so vague and last minute - it`s like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

Dibuzz - how are you doing? Haven`t heard from you for a few days, I hope all is well but ((HUGS)) anyway.

Chez-Emm...
    DGD isn`t here this weekend as she`s at her other grandparents.
    DS`s GF has been and gone, went home this afternoon. His mate has come down to spend the evening here watching DVD`s, which is good because it fills the void of GF`s departure. Last few times hes been here I`ve been a bit niggly about being quiet as I`ve had to be up at 6am, so tonight, as I`m on another Late tomorrow, I tried to make up for it - made them a HUGE omelette, potato/onion/cheese/bacon & peas& 5 eggs. And we`ve managed to use up every bit of edible bread in the house too!
    On another Late tomorrow, but I`ll have to do a mercy dash to Morrisons for bread in the morning after a bit of a lie-in. We aren`t breakfast people so that`s ok.
    House is just passable, I`m concentrating on keeping on top of the kitchen and saying `buggritt` to the rest for now.
    Goodnight all. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport