PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I managed an hours sleep this afternoon, just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and when I woke up it was warm and sunny.

I think I will plan indoor jobs for next week.
    I'm the opposite, I prefer to get things out of the way early in the day or I'm just pacing up and down waiting to go and getting even more anxious.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I`m off to work in a few minutes, but I`ve done a bit in the house this morning - sofa clear, LR tidied, and worktops/ draining board clear. When I get home tonight I expect it all to be a bit trashed, DGD will be here after school and a trail of shoes, bags, etc in LR and noodles-for-tea all over the kitchen.... but if I leave it tidy it just MIGHT prompt her and DS not to trash it. We`ll see.
    Have a nice Friday all. x
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Well - my Messy status tonight can`t be blamed on others!
    I was up at 6 and out to work soon after, they hadn`t trashed anywhere yesterday, so it looked quite reasonable when I left.
    Reason -
    DGD wanted me to run her into town to meet her mates - a rare request, fair do`s - when I got home from work today. I said I would, so got home after a mad hectic shift (had a lot of hassle with the `robot` meds cupboard - grr) but got away promptly and DGD all ready to go, turned car around and dropped her off at rendezvous. With a warning that if she wasn`t there at 5.30 for me to pick her up I would not ever be doing this again...Bless`er, she was there, waving to her mates, bang on time for me. (This Is VERY Rare, she`s not a punctual lass without much chivvying) I was so chuffed I agreed to do her a home-made spag bol for tea.
    I have made rather a mess in the kitchen.
    I`ve done bacon & cabbage with Cheshire spuds & fresh HM parsley sauce for the rest of us, and that has been a bit messy too.
    I will deal with it tomorrow, tonight it was just nice to unwind.
  • dibuzz
    Options
    Eldest son helped me to do the big food shop, I'm struggling to go out alone at the moment then youngest helped me to do the front lawn. Just having someone out there with me helps but he strimmed the edges for me as well.
    The grass looks lovely now it's been treated with weed and feed.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    My garden`s the opposite to yours Dibuzz - the grass needs NO encouragement! It`s heaving with birds, some in the apple trees on the feeders and some finding stuff on the ground, so I reckon the bird-poo must be feeding the grass/weeds and all!

I have cleaned up my messy kitchen. Note to self - using stick blender to blitz roasted red peppers/tomatoes etc. is best not done after a few glasses of wine....
    I have given LR a proper clean - cotton rugs shaken outside and turned over, floor swept and mopped. It is still quite `hairy`, even without the woolly rugs and just one small dog now.
    I need to nip out for bread & milk, and fill up with petrol as my 10p/litre voucher expires today. Also need to get some strimmer cord, as DS found a long-forgotten working strimmer in the shed when he finally hacked his way through to the shed door the other week.
    I hate going near the gardening shops on a Sunday....
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    The house has moved on a little here. We had a curtain disaster so we had to nip out for some new ones, not cheap but what can you do? The new tv unit looks good and we've done a few other bits and pieces to make the living area look nicer - although we still have no floor so there's only so good it can look!
  • dibuzz
    Options
    We still find the odd dog hair :o

A house with no floor, I hope you are all good at levitating ;)

After 6 hours sleep since I got up on Friday I'm doing as little as possible. I was going to take some stuff to the charity shop but just haven't got the energy.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Alec E - what sort of curtain disaster?:eek:
    And why `no floor`?:eek: What on earth have you been up to?? Do tell.... sounds most intrigueing!

Dibuzz, I`m not surprised you`ve no energy, you must be exhausted, Bless you! If you`re not sleeping you should at least rest, leave all the non-essential stuff till you feel better.

Chez Emm -
    LR & Kitchen still looking ok, so today I have planned an `easy` meal (green Thai - open a jar, a tin, and thawed some chicken pieces & rice noodles. All I`ll do later is cook the chicken & chop some coriander. Simples!) AND, this gave me a `free` day to get on with something else.
    So today I have-
    Henry`d all upstairs, and top half of stairs. (Waiting for DS or OH to bring Henry downstairs for me).

Half sorted caravan of Doom. Somewhere between a stock-take and a tetris, with quite a bit of chucking out.

Cleared top of bedroom desk - terrible Flat Surface, that, mostly clothes, coat-hangers, and paper, as OH wants to use it to do some work on tomorrow.

I`ve just stopped for a coffee break, and now I`m going to do a bit more in caravan of Doom, while I`m still in the mood! Even if I don`t finish the job, it`s a lot better in there already. Tomorrow I`ve got an appt at the bank, can sort out a couple of things I`ve been putting off, and Wednesday is Sewing Day (DGD`s mum is coming to help me finally finish the wedding stuff.)
    Quite pleased really, feel like I`m making good use of the week off so far, but it`s bound to go t1ts up before the weekend!:)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    The curtains came out of the washing machine a different shape and size to when they went in! They were suitable to be washed in the machine but there you go!

We only have the concrete underfloor in the living room as the rabbits chewed the carpet and we need our cash for other things. Even though it looks hideous as it is, a new floor is way down the savings priority list. Haven't got a clue when we'll be able to buy something suitable. It's just the way it is!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, folks!

Busy giving the bathroom a quick paint and freshen up. That was the theory, but........

First mistake was colour, we chose orange! 1970s revisited. Horrible , so new tin, duck egg! Very blue, rather than greenly-blue.

Then the gloss paint has been peeling off the door, after OH's sanding. I think it was Dulux Once. It's just come off in strips. So had to get the rest off.

This was meant to be a quick, easy job!

There's never any end, eh! And Alec, if you hadn't washed the flipping curtains they'd be fine!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport