Call18866 Questions and Answers

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Calls made before 18:00 does indeed come up as international.

BT, I have been informed does not trust the CLI from international numbers, so flags them as international.

Before 18:00 18866 and 1899 appears to send the CLI out as +44.... , hence being displayed as 'International'

What I find strange is being told BT doesn't trust international CLI, yet I have received a couple of calls from the USA that did display their CLI.

I think BT should just allow international CLI, and then this would display calls correctly.

If I call one of my VoIP (sipgate numbers) it displays the CLI correctly.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • I think u may be mistaken:

[copied from my account]

26-02-2005 10:04:20 02073414359 0:01:41 0.0099

But u r right, they announce "0 pence per minute".

boblevin wrote:
    All users of 18866 should be aware that they now charge a 3p connection for uk calls and not 1p. This started a few days ago. They now announce 0 pence per minute. This no longer gives them a competitive edge for me.
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Has anyone managed to sign up successfully with 18866 recently? I've tried twice now, about 10 days ago and again today, but both said it failed due to capacity problems :(

I wonder if it's worth trying from March 1st as I know some companies cap subscriptions to so many a month and it's first come first served ... maybe these do the same? :confused:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• tweeter
    tweeter Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi, Curry Queen.
    After signing up I posted this 24/02/2005
    Hi peeps,
    18866 requested that I allow cookies on my firefox browser. Then I got to the sign up page, which had a padlock where you type in the url and another down at the bottom of the browser. So I hope I'm encrypted now.
    Thanks for everyones help,
    tweeter.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All

I dont know if this query has been raised before, but can anyone confirm that you do not get an increase in cold calls when signing up to any of these services? I moved from BT to NTL a couple of years back because the amount of cold calls I received were getting rediculous and as yet have not received any using NTL and hope to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance
    escapee
  • I have not had more cold calls since signing up. I signed up with some telephone preference service. I think I got the name of the site from this forum. Can't remember the name but have not had any cold calls since. The only people who are allowed to still call you after signing up for this service (it is free) are people you have contacted previously to request a brochure or something. The is also a mail equivalent to stop all the junk mail.

Wendy
    Wendy
  • wendyl1967 wrote:
    I have not had more cold calls since signing up. I signed up with some telephone preference service. I think I got the name of the site from this forum. Can't remember the name but have not had any cold calls since. The only people who are allowed to still call you after signing up for this service (it is free) are people you have contacted previously to request a brochure or something. The is also a mail equivalent to stop all the junk mail.

Wendy
    You mean The Telephone Preference Service.

It doesn't stop calls from overseas call centres but stops the UK-based ones.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • You mean The Telephone Preference Service.

It doesn't stop calls from overseas call centres but stops the UK-based ones.
    There is also The Fax Preference Service.
  • I signed up with 'Call 1899' recently, and the same afternoon received five or six "You have won a prize..." phone calls. We used to get these regularly, but over the last few months they had almost disappeared.

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience?
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is what makes me cautious Steven M, this deal seems too good to be true (which usually is) and had me wondering if they subsidise their cheap prices with selling your details to third parties. I would be very grateful if anyone else has feedback good or bad on this.

Thanks Steven
    escapee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family