Call18866 Questions and Answers

Comments

• Hi All, have joined 18866, and noticed that we are coming up on our friends' caller display phones as "International". After dialling 1471, they get the whole number read out to them (+44 etc.), and mobiles are ok as they seem to take everything as a potential international call anyway. This is quite vexing, as my mother-in-law for one has said she wont be answering when it comes up as International on her phone!
    Does anyone know of a way round this? Think we might be finding a lot of people aren't in when we call... thanks, John.
  • That does not happen when my friends who are on 18866 call. It gives the full number with the std code but not 44 for the uk.

Wendy
    Wendy
  • Wendy, are your friends getting the number on a home caller display phone? do you know if its BT line or not? thanks John
  • The caller id on 18866 is normal when I dial someone else.

My issues are:

1. Not everyone in the house remembers to pre-dial 18866 and so I end up paying full whack BT rates. Is there a pre-dialler box available to ensure 18866 is dialled everytime?

2. I think the message from 18866 should say there is a fixed charge of 3 Pence per call rather than saying 0 Pence per minute is charged. Then if the fixed price increases (like last time 1 Pence to 3 Pence) it is not hidden.

3. 18866 have also increased their mobile phone charges are they still competitive?
  • 1. Orchid (see the Sticky above).

2. It's 1p per call (1899 is 3p).

3. 1899 is cheaper (3p connection and then 10p/minute during the week and 2p/minute at weekends).
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Thank you for putting those questions to 18866 Martin - I had to set up a Hotmail account as I am on aol - I used to get my mail from 18866 until aol spat the dummy out!
    Both operate an excellent service, I specifically like the way I can put as many phone numbers on the account as I want. It's great. I have to ring Florida on a regular basis and getting free calls to the USA (and Germany amonst others) with 1899 is awesome. I was on the phone for 30 minutes the other day - for 3p. BT must be feeling the pinch, they have just had to pay £94 back into my bank account because we no longer use their lines. I have reduced my rental to the cheapest at £10.50 a month and recommend 18866 for all UK calls and 1899 for all overseas and mobile calls to everybody I talk to. I hope my logic of the more customers they get, the higher the chance these companies have of maintaining these prices!
  • Hi All, have joined 18866, and noticed that we are coming up on our friends' caller display phones as "International". After dialling 1471, they get the whole number read out to them (+44 etc.), and mobiles are ok as they seem to take everything as a potential international call anyway. This is quite vexing, as my mother-in-law for one has said she wont be answering when it comes up as International on her phone!
    Does anyone know of a way round this? Think we might be finding a lot of people aren't in when we call... thanks, John.

Have you considered blocking your BT telephone number? I know that means that everybody is unable to know it was you who called if they dial 1471 but often that is a good thing. Try this first. Before you dial 18866 dial 141 and then make your call - your home number is blocked. If you like how it works ask BT to put you on a permanent block. Occassionally I get the message to say that anonymous calls are not accepted so I just dial 140 prior to 18866 and this unblocks my number to the person I am calling.
    All the best to you.
  • anyone else had the "International" experience coming up on other people's caller displays? really want to get o the bottom of this... thanks :O)
  • regarding 18866, daveram 13, I have programmed most of the numbers we call with the 18866 pre fix and next to the name added a number 2, so weekdays we use 'name2' and weekend use just the name. (on one tel free at weekends)
    Hope this helps
  • :rolleyes:
    I was sihgned with 1899 about week ago. They advertise one price but in reality sometimes it is different. eg. US calls not for 0p but 1p/min. And when I call to 0845 or 0870 numbers, it is sometimes don't get throug and I try to call direct to those numbers, it works. May be this happened with somebody else. don't know. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure