crippling back digging the garden and doing Zumba

Options

Comments

• formaldehyde_perfume
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    This is the biggest reason (apart from pride) which is stopping me even attempting to claim DLA. The thought that someone could see me on a good day struggling to put the bins out and ring up the fraud line to report me makes me believe it is not even worth trying, the loss of money while it was being sorted out would be too horrendous for us.

I don't have many good days now, I am completely reliant on crutches and the distance I am able to walk without pain is frighteningly small, so I just avoid going places where I will have to walk any great distance now, which includes our town centre as that is disabled only parking/driving through on the main road through it and the nearest car park, although not too much trouble for someone in good health, for someone like me, is an impossibility ....mind you, was never one for shopping trips but the boys are getting a little peeved at not being able to go there.

The rules for getting a blue badge are generally more lenient, I still think a BB would really help you, and there are no money worries associated with it if some busy body does decide to report you. Please think about it!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules for getting a blue badge are generally more lenient, I still think a BB would really help you, and there are no money worries associated with it if some busy body does decide to report you. Please think about it!

I echo this.

Also most (all?) local authorities have an assisted collection service for people who struggle with putting the bins out. And, at least in my area, you don't have to be in receipt of DLA, a doctor's letter, or a letter from another professional with knowledge of your condition will suffice.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Please apply, SingleSue. And ask your council about help with bins.
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    Im disabled. Claiming LRC. I dig my garden. I have no choice!! The council wont do it for me, and if i dont do it they are at my door threatening eviction!! DLA dont give me enough money to pay someone else to do it as well as pay for other stuff i need, and i only work part-time because thats all im (just about) able for.
    So who wants to report me?? :p

Of course, what you wont see is the pain im in for the next week or so, and you wont hear the wailing and crying as i try to turn over in bed ......... but if it makes anyone feel better about themselves, feel free to report away!!
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    I keep getting told that with MS exercise is the key to help manage..

Ok on a good day i might be able to get to the gym which is only 8 doors away.

Actually open the door and do something... pass. Depends on the day and how i am.

But i am one of those scared stiff to even attempt anything considered a 'tut' and a mutter of 'oh and she is on benefits too'

so my front garden needs working on yet to scared to be seen doing anything, saying that with my knees, there is no way i can get down on the knee pad thingie to do some weeding, i don't have spare cash to get a gadget for doing it standing up.

I think thats why i have become a bit of a recluse, to scared to go out, and be seen.. even though i can't do much.. seen by the wrong person.... oh she looked at a magazine on middle shelf...

Shopping day today, so when DS get's home from school this afternoon we shall go off and do it. Could i do it on my own.. well i might get it done by the time DS gets home, i know i will get funny looks, as i am going through the stumble and look drunk stage at the moment, and you know what the ole' dears are like, point and mutter, oh it's a disgrace at this time of day.. Sometime's i tell them and sometime's i just can't.

Everyone has different issues with illness's (ok here's where the MS kick's in and i can't quite say what i think i want to say)

OP physical exercise is often good, if you were any sort of neighbour, not being rude but why are you not offering to dig her garden, for all you know the digging is making the pain worse, so she does some new fangled exercise, what do you want her to do all day, sit on the sofa and watch Jezza?

I wonder what your reaction would be to me if you saw me and didn't know i was disabled....... an aparent average person... can walk with a stick, would you see me as one of the fakers to stay on benefits? Do you know what MS looks like?

There are loads on here far worse than me, and in our own ways we try to have some form of normality,

End of the day, yes there are fakers, and then you have people like me (and others on here) who have to fight tooth and nail, for the benefits we are entitled to, Just to be clear you can't fake test results for MS, and a hellva lot of diseases on here...

So please don't tar us with the same brush...... just by looking at someone you would never guess have of the problems health wise they have.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • starchild1972
    Options
    karenmay33 wrote: »
    what a joke the woman near me digs her garden and posts on facebook she's been Zumba classes for over 6 weeks, but yet she's been decline yet another back op as there is nothing they can do for her..... she walks around with a stick or rides on her mobility scooter, or is flying about in her mobility car... i wish i could afford to buy all the latest gadgets, apply for 4 venues at the Olympics for the family of 4..... looks like benefit is best................

I have mild M.E., moderate to severe Fibromyalgia, hypermobility (?EDS) and DDD (degenerative disc disease). :mad:
    I am also entitled to a LIFE.:p
    I do gardening, until my back got worse I also did belly dancing to strengthen muscles until it was discovered my discs were shot.
    Just because I managed it one day doesn't mean I can do it the next...or do ANYTHING the next day. :(
    I did 5 hrs at a market on Sunday. All I was doing was taking money and getting on and off a chair using crutches. I have been taking high painkiller doses since and have not been able to leave the house to do the laundry. (the machine is only in the shed)
    If I do ANYTHING that is deemed strenous I have to up my med intake and REST. (I may be able to go 4 or 5 days a MONTH without them but that is just to rest my liver otherwise that will begin to fail too)
    Just after Christmas I spend 3 weeks on MORPHINE after I slipped a disc trying to get the coal in as I had forgotten to ask the neighbour to fill the bucket for us.:(

I got reported for fraud by someone who was "sure that I was faking 'cos she can walk to the car and was doing gardening" (sat in a chair on my knees so I don't over bend my back) and because "She has nice stuff and goes on holiday and stuff, real disabled people don't have holidays or babies and they ain't allowed to work" (Yep dead exotic holiday, a wet week in Porthcawl! and !!!!!! shouldn't a disabled person have a designer coat. I am SELF-EMPLOYED as well). It was done maliciously and the reporter mouthed off about what they had done. They were determined to "catch me out". In the end they were cautioned for harrassment and we left the area. The stress was unbelievable and some of the abuse we received off the neighbours who he had convinced that I was a fake. We had the car vandalised and my eldest was bullied at school to the point we removed her.:mad:

Goodness knows what they would make of my DH. He is in a wheelchair and dares to go FISHING!:eek:

If people have GOOD and GENUINE REASON to report someone, fine go ahead with any luck you would make life easier for people like me. :D

IF it's just jealousy (they got stuff that I can't afford, they shouldn't have it, I want it, I can't afford a new car, I want a "free" car etc etc) then I wish the powers that be would inflict you with a disability that can't be seen and then YOU have to go through the "OOooh you're a fake I'm reporting you" stress. :mad:

• wattdallas
    wattdallas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    I have mild M.E., moderate to severe Fibromyalgia, hypermobility (?EDS) and DDD (degenerative disc disease). :mad:
    I am also entitled to a LIFE.:p
    I do gardening, until my back got worse I also did belly dancing to strengthen muscles until it was discovered my discs were shot.
    Just because I managed it one day doesn't mean I can do it the next...or do ANYTHING the next day. :(
    I did 5 hrs at a market on Sunday. All I was doing was taking money and getting on and off a chair using crutches. I have been taking high painkiller doses since and have not been able to leave the house to do the laundry. (the machine is only in the shed)
    If I do ANYTHING that is deemed strenous I have to up my med intake and REST. (I may be able to go 4 or 5 days a MONTH without them but that is just to rest my liver otherwise that will begin to fail too)
    Just after Christmas I spend 3 weeks on MORPHINE after I slipped a disc trying to get the coal in as I had forgotten to ask the neighbour to fill the bucket for us.:(

I got reported for fraud by someone who was "sure that I was faking 'cos she can walk to the car and was doing gardening" (sat in a chair on my knees so I don't over bend my back) and because "She has nice stuff and goes on holiday and stuff, real disabled people don't have holidays or babies and they ain't allowed to work" (Yep dead exotic holiday, a wet week in Porthcawl! and !!!!!! shouldn't a disabled person have a designer coat. I am SELF-EMPLOYED as well). It was done maliciously and the reporter mouthed off about what they had done. They were determined to "catch me out". In the end they were cautioned for harrassment and we left the area. The stress was unbelievable and some of the abuse we received off the neighbours who he had convinced that I was a fake. We had the car vandalised and my eldest was bullied at school to the point we removed her.:mad:

Goodness knows what they would make of my DH. He is in a wheelchair and dares to go FISHING!:eek:

If people have GOOD and GENUINE REASON to report someone, fine go ahead with any luck you would make life easier for people like me. :D

IF it's just jealousy (they got stuff that I can't afford, they shouldn't have it, I want it, I can't afford a new car, I want a "free" car etc etc) then I wish the powers that be would inflict you with a disability that can't be seen and then YOU have to go through the "OOooh you're a fake I'm reporting you" stress. :mad:

Why on earth would you wish a disability on anyone ?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • starchild1972
    Options
    wattdallas wrote: »
    Why on earth would you wish a disability on anyone ?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well if they want all the "benefits" then why shouldn't I?
  • wattdallas
    wattdallas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Well if they want all the "benefits" then why shouldn't I?

Where did she say SHE wanted all the benefits ? ;)
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • starchild1972
    Options
    wattdallas wrote: »
    Where did she say SHE wanted all the benefits ? ;)

Try here...
    karenmay33 wrote: »
    ....i wish i could afford to buy all the latest gadgets, apply for 4 venues at the Olympics for the family of 4..... looks like benefit is best................

Does that not smack of jealousy?

There is an old saying..
    "You do not know my life until you have walked a mile in my shoes"

or in my case... hobbled, limped, wheeled 50 yards in my pain.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business