crippling back digging the garden and doing Zumba

Options

Comments

• pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    when im well enough i will play tennis !:D and i will still qualify for hrm a mrc dla:eek: lol so would you report me ?
    edit i also have a new shinny car on matability and today i planted my tomatos in my green house!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got gym membership though my OT and GP... :eek: though i have mental health problems as opposed to physical
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    The OP hasn't heard of the Back to Fitness Programme offered through a local PCT then. It's a fitness class, where people who have longstanding back problems - some post surgery, some in an effort to avoid surgery and some who are unsuitable for any other treatment. It involves a warm up, some cardio activity, such as using treadmills, exercise bikes and rowing machines, some floor work and some individually tailored exercises designed by the senior physiotherapist specifically for particular problems. And it's done to music.

Halfway through the course, the physio discusses options for trying to continue with light exercise as an ongoing thing for health and maintenance of the back condition as it is, rather than inevitably deteriorating. The suggestions include line dancing, zumba and gardening.

However, it is made clear that this is not to cure the participant - as that is unlikely with a long term condition - but to try and prevent further disablement, depression and other conditions.

Just so you know.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP hasn't heard of the Back to Fitness Programme offered through a local PCT then. It's a fitness class, where people who have longstanding back problems - some post surgery, some in an effort to avoid surgery and some who are unsuitable for any other treatment. It involves a warm up, some cardio activity, such as using treadmills, exercise bikes and rowing machines, some floor work and some individually tailored exercises designed by the senior physiotherapist specifically for particular problems. And it's done to music.

Halfway through the course, the physio discusses options for trying to continue with light exercise as an ongoing thing for health and maintenance of the back condition as it is, rather than inevitably deteriorating. The suggestions include line dancing, zumba and gardening.

However, it is made clear that this is not to cure the participant - as that is unlikely with a long term condition - but to try and prevent further disablement, depression and other conditions.

Just so you know.
    I get the feeling the OP doesn't care, hence why they have already reported their friend :(
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Better hope you don't live near me then OP. I'm on middle care, lower mobility and up until I landed on the transplant list I was a dance teacher!

I still work full time (dancing was only 8 hours a week), still take the dog out for walks, still go to boxing (down to once a week now), I'm currently dating someone (shocking behaviour I know) we go for walks, out drinking (me on the orange juice, just in case I get the call), the other week we went with friends to paintball - obviously I'm committing fraud of the highest degree.
  • FleurDuLys
    FleurDuLys Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Aye, you and me both Jen - surely I must be a fraudster!

I'm now on ESA and higher rate mobility/higher rate care DLA and I went canoeing the other week, and I've just had half a bottle of wine, damn me for having a life despite being "terminally ill" :beer:

See I haven't given up yet, because life is for living. There may be people out there taking the p!ss but there are also a lot of genuinely ill/disabled people who are grabbing at life with both hands and making the most of every little opportunity they can wring out of it. I think it's fair enough if you wanna tell the DWP if you suspect someone is fibbing, but don't expect that your assumptions are definitely going to be correct, because you may well be wrong!
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Canoeing? Wine? You'll be telling me you laughed next!
  • FleurDuLys
    FleurDuLys Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Jen, someone forget to send me the memo that said we should all be miserable! I think you probably got missed off the mailing list too :D
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Get it sorted! From what I gather we're supposed to lie in bed all day, be miserable and use wheelchairs.
  • Tehya
    Tehya Posts: 501 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2011 at 1:01AM
    Options
    I've been following this thread and I'm really pleased to see that most people have shown common sense. I agree that fraud is serious BUT reporting someone to the DWP is also serious and could cause major health and financial problems for the claimant who may well be totally innocent. Most rational people would say think before you do anything and make sure you have the facts.

Looking back at the OP though it just reads of a jealousy that someone is getting something they themselves are not entitled to.
    karenmay33 wrote: »
    what a joke the woman near me digs her garden and posts on facebook she's been Zumba classes for over 6 weeks, as several people have explained a certain amount of exercise is good for a person, even high rate care & mobility claimants can be mobile and so take part in exercise but yet she's been decline yet another back op as there is nothing they can do for her.....so her Drs tells her they can do nothing else to fix her problem so it's incurable and you've reported her? she walks around with a stick or rides on her mobility scooter, so does my husband and he's in constant agony or is flying about in her mobility car..if she has a motability car then she pays for it by giving up her DLA .i wish i could afford to buy all the latest gadgets, apply for 4 venues at the Olympics for the family of 4..... does she have a car or is she using the money for tickets to venues, she can't do both, plus DLA is there to help a person to live as normal a life as possible they can also work. looks like benefit is best................ Try it, I'll give you every extra penny my husband and I get if you take even just one part of his disability or pain.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure