crippling back digging the garden and doing Zumba

Options

Comments

• wattdallas
    wattdallas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, but someone who knows that he is on DLA, without knowing the reasons for this, might see him running a marathon and think 'he gets DLA, there is obviously nothing wrong with him'.

And that is the point.

There are lots of reasons why people get DLA, not all of them are obvious to the person in the street. It doesn't mean the the autistic person who runs a marathon is a faker, and it may not mean that the apparently able bodied person you see in the street is a faker either. Without knowing their circumstances the uninformed observer cannot know why that person gets DLA.

I understand what you are saying but the average "normal" person doesnt report some stranger they see going about their day .Its more often someone you know well ,maybe even a family member.

You just cannor genuinely receive DLA and mobility for severe spinal problems and be out digging the garden and shakin her bootie doing the zumba.

Come on we all know someone on the fiddle be it dla or any other benefit.:)
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wattdallas wrote: »
    Come on we all know someone on the fiddle be it dla or any other benefit.:)

You and I must mix in different circles then, because I don't know anyone who is 'on the fiddle' with DLA or with any other benefit.

I do however know a number of people who have been unfairly and unjustly reported for falsely claiming benefits. Without exception they have each been exonerated and their benefit entitlement confirmed, but that does not wipe out the distress and upset this causes to people who are already sick and often struggling to cope on a daily basis.

As I've said before - if you really know the facts and still believe someone is defrauding the system, then of course go ahead and report them. I would do the same - but only if I really knew the facts.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • intranicity
    intranicity Posts: 394 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2011 at 10:52PM
    Options
    You just cannor genuinely receive DLA and mobility for severe spinal problems and be out digging the garden and shakin her bootie doing the zumba.

All depends on what digging the garden is to be honest, I have a back injury, I get LRC, WPMS, WP Unemployability Supplement etc etc.

I 'dig' my garden, admitedly on my hands and knees, and it's weeding rather that digging the veg patch. It needs doing and no one else will do it for me!

One of the reasons I get LRC because is "because I can't prepare a meal for myself", but I can and do, I live alone, so what am I meant to do, STARVE? It just takes me far longer.

I've never done Zumba, I have two left feet for a start, but I use recumbent exercise bikes, swim, treadmills etc (Being able to support myself on my arms makes it possible to walk, almost like a zimmer frame)

Not bothered if someone reports me though, as I hope that I would not face any sanctions, but not doing some exercise would end up with me being in a wheelchair, so I know which course i'll face, and deal with the concequences later if they arrive
    Opinions are like bottoms - We all have one, just some stink more than others

Service Attributable Pension - War Pension - War Pensioners Unemployability Supplement - War Pensioners Invalidity Allowance - War Pensioners Comforts Allowance - War Pensioners Mobility Allowance - War Pensioners Child Allowance - Housing Benefit - Council Tax Benefit
  • wattdallas
    wattdallas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    All depends on what digging the garden is to be honest, I have a back injury, I get LRC, WPMS, WP Unemployability Supplement etc etc.

I 'dig' my garden, admitedly on my hands and knees, and it's weeding rather that digging the veg patch. It needs doing and no one else will do it for me!

One of the reasons I get LRC because is "because I can't prepare a meal for myself", but I can and do, I live alone, so what am I meant to do, STARVE? It just takes me far longer.

I've never done Zumba, I have two left feet for a start, but I use recumbent exercise bikes, swim, treadmills etc (Being able to support myself on my arms makes it possible to walk, almost like a zimmer frame)

Not bothered if someone reports me though, as I hope that I would not face any sanctions, but not doing some exercise would end up with me being in a wheelchair, so I know which course i'll face, and deal with the concequences later if they arrive

But this op gets HRM :rotfl:Virtually unable to walk or cannot walk at all ,be in severe pain when walking,let alone dig the garden and be doing the zumba:)

ZZdaisy just because you dont know of anyone on the fiddle it doesnt mean there arent.:eek:

My circle of friends are other mums and dads who have severely disabled children ,but i live in a small town where everybody knows everyones business .:)
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another who doesn't know someone falsely claiming benefits....but maybe that is because I keep myself to myself and lead such a sad life that I don't actually meet up with people for talks.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • savvyme_4
    savvyme_4 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    You and I must mix in different circles then, because I don't know anyone who is 'on the fiddle' with DLA or with any other benefit.

I do however know a number of people who have been unfairly and unjustly reported for falsely claiming benefits. Without exception they have each been exonerated and their benefit entitlement confirmed, but that does not wipe out the distress and upset this causes to people who are already sick and often struggling to cope on a daily basis.

As I've said before - if you really know the facts and still believe someone is defrauding the system, then of course go ahead and report them. I would do the same - but only if I really knew the facts.

I totally agree with this post ... it's not good being a snitch !! I myself always give someone the benefit of the doubt :beer:
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I'm another who doesn't know someone falsely claiming benefits....but maybe that is because I keep myself to myself and lead such a sad life that I don't actually meet up with people for talks.

I know that feeling.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only know one or two other people claiming benefits (I don't get out much and don't know many people at all!)...each of those people is claiming legitimately. Actually, one girl isn't claiming everything that she is entitled to (the powers that be don't always make it clear what you can claim, and certainly don't make the claiming process easy!) so I've pointed her in the direction of someone who can go through things with her.

The number of people claiming disability benefits fraudulently is actually very small. I would be surprised if we 'all' knew someone fiddling the system...I certainly don't.
  • Malory
    Malory Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options

Yes. Has the OP considered that this lady may be gardening and taking Zumba classes because her doctor has told her that she needs to get some exercise?

The Zumba instructor could be working around her disability.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2011 at 10:30PM
    Options
    But this op gets HRM :rotfl:Virtually unable to walk or cannot walk at all ,be in severe pain when walking,let alone dig the garden and be doing the zumba:)

ZZdaisy just because you dont know of anyone on the fiddle it doesnt mean there arent.:eek:

My circle of friends are other mums and dads who have severely disabled children ,but i live in a small town where everybody knows everyones business .:)

I think you are deliberately missing the point about Zumba. Any level of fitness/ability can be catered for because it isn't compulsory to be able to shake your booty, or even stand up, in fact I know someone who on occasion has simply gone along and watched because they couldn't achieve more on that occasion. It's fun! It's social! It's called having a life...

HRM doesn't require you to be in pain, nor that you should be unable to take an appropriate exercise class for your fitness level. She might well have been in severe pain and/or discomfort whilst doing the zumba or the digging and spent the rest of the week on the sofa - and that isn't inconsistent with HRM either as it should take into consideration the whole impact, both immediate and delayed.

It seems to me that you are intent on believing that anyone who doesn't lead a sad and boring life confined to their chair and home doesn't qualify as disabled - thankfully there are others who allow that a zest for life and a determination not to be beaten by our respective disabilities does not mean that those disabilities are not very real.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business