🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

crippling back digging the garden and doing Zumba

Options

Comments

• eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I'm another who doesn't know someone falsely claiming benefits....but maybe that is because I keep myself to myself and lead such an enlightened life that I don't actually need to meet up with people to listen to malicious gossip and stick my nose into everybody else's bussiness.

Fixed it for you. :D

I don't now anyone else 'on the fiddle' either. Its just a media stunt that has allowed the Government to make people believe that disabled benefits are about fraudsters, these benefits ARE NOT about fraudsters they are about the genuine disabled claimants whose numbers completely dwarf the number of fraudsters. Yet all we here about are fraudsters, it was the Governments master stroke in changing disability benefits, nothing catches the public attention like a witchhunt and if the genuine cases face some hardship as a result so be it.

She wouldn't be posting on facebook that she is doing zumba if its fraud, nobody is that dumb. More likely she is celebrating the fact she is trying to manage her condition and/or is getting on with her life.
  • teabag29
    teabag29 Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think its better to report someone if there is genuine suspicion there (not through jealousy or silly reasons) and possibly stop someone from claiming money they shouldn't rather than ignoring it and possibly letting someone get away with fraud.

If all is innocent then the claimant has nothing to worry about. i appreciate it may be stressful, nobody would like to be accused of something they haven't done particularly fraud but if all is innocent then best to get it proven and stop suspicion once and for all. On the other hand i'm sure most people who have said not to report the claimant are equally as disgusted to hear about benefit fraudters and the rise in taxes etc because of these fraudsters. Better to be safe than sorry so to speak.

I would say though try and establish facts before reporting anyone, i.e. have you actually asked the claimant outright why she is able to do all this yet claim hrc? perhaps there is a genuine explanation that could put your suspicions to rest. I think I would prefer someone to ask me outright if they suspect me of doing something wrong rather than report me straight off without knowing the facts.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    karenmay33 wrote: »
    what a joke the woman near me digs her garden and posts on facebook she's been Zumba classes for over 6 weeks, but yet she's been decline yet another back op as there is nothing they can do for her..... she walks around with a stick or rides on her mobility scooter, or is flying about in her mobility car... i wish i could afford to buy all the latest gadgets, apply for 4 venues at the Olympics for the family of 4..... looks like benefit is best................

I've got nothing against reporting benefit cheats, I also have nothing against reporting tax dodgers, and I wish I'd had the guts to report some of the builders etc. who've asked me to pay in cash. But your post angers me. Do you really think DLA etc. (minus the amount for a motability car) will pay for "all the latest gadgets" and 16 sets of Olympic tickets, etc. (unless it's just an add-on, unless she already has a good income)? Does your neighbour really get a Motability car and a Motability scooter? Shouldn't you be against benefit cheats anyway, not just because they seem to have more money than you?

And of course, she may be fully entitled to the benefits she gets.
  • wattdallas
    wattdallas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    I think you are deliberately missing the point about Zumba. Any level of fitness/ability can be catered for because it isn't compulsory to be able to shake your booty, or even stand up, in fact I know someone who on occasion has simply gone along and watched because they couldn't achieve more on that occasion. It's fun! It's social! It's called having a life...

HRM doesn't require you to be in pain, nor that you should be unable to take an appropriate exercise class for your fitness level. She might well have been in severe pain and/or discomfort whilst doing the zumba or the digging and spent the rest of the week on the sofa - and that isn't inconsistent with HRM either as it should take into consideration the whole impact, both immediate and delayed.

It seems to me that you are intent on believing that anyone who doesn't lead a sad and boring life confined to their chair and home doesn't qualify as disabled - thankfully there are others who allow that a zest for life and a determination not to be beaten by our respective disabilities does not mean that those disabilities are not very real.

Actually if you knew anything about my circumstances you would knoe that my daughter is wheelchair bound and has other severe disabilities.Do you think i put her in a corner all day ?No she has a good life and does all sorts of things in the community.So no i dont expect disabled people to have a sad life.:o

It seems to me YOU are intent on believing that this OP and everyone else is entitled to DLA .:rotfl:
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wattdallas wrote: »
    Actually if you knew anything about my circumstances you would knoe that my daughter is wheelchair bound and has other severe disabilities.Do you think i put her in a corner all day ?No she has a good life and does all sorts of things in the community.So no i dont expect disabled people to have a sad life.:o

It seems to me YOU are intent on believing that this OP and everyone else is entitled to DLA .:rotfl:

Perhaps you should re-read the first post, the OP isn't in receipt of DLA, she's a carer who has reported someone on the basis of her doing zumba and gardening. :rotfl:

I have no belief in that person's necessary innocence or guilt because I don't know the facts in that particular situation. But you have obviously decided on her guilt and used inaccurate assertions about HRM and Zumba to back up your belief.

I'm sorry your daughter is wheelchair bound but you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who isn't.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • wattdallas
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Perhaps you should re-read the first post, the OP isn't in receipt of DLA, she's a carer who has reported someone on the basis of her doing zumba and gardening. :rotfl:

I have no belief in that person's necessary innocence or guilt because I don't know the facts in that particular situation. But you have obviously decided on her guilt and used inaccurate assertions about HRM and Zumba to back up your belief.

I'm sorry your daughter is wheelchair bound but you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who isn't.

Perhaps you should reread the first post ,i said OP not the poster .:rotfl:

Dont be sorry about my daughter ,she has the best possible life i and my husband could possibly give her.

Its not about being in a wheelchair or not ,there are lots of disabilities that require hrc and hrm without being in a wheelchair.
    Im not stupid my whole life revolves around disabilities.

I and my husband now do foster care also ,we have a girl of 12 who has an unidentified dysmorphic syndrome ,she can walk ,albeit ,very slow ,she also has scoliocis and severe learning disability thus receiving LRM .I know for a fact she could not dig the garden and do the zumba.
    It doesnt matter what you and i think ,im just waiting for PIP to start so we can do away with the frauds.:)
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
  • daska
    Options
    I apologise, I assumed by OP you meant 'original poster', as you obviously are not I have no idea who you are referring to.

But what I said stands, you are making incorrect assertions about both zumba and HRM to back up your belief in the lady's guilt.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • wattdallas
    Options
    And you are doing the same to back up her innocence.Im sure you know the critera for HRM i suggest you re read it and am dam sure if the DWP saw this person diggin the garden with severe back problems her HRM would stop.

Just MY opinion
  • daska
    edited 9 April 2011 at 7:54PM
    Options
    But your argument is specious if you want to base it on the assertion that for HRM you have to be in severe pain and that no-one who is disabled can partake in zumba. Both are wrong so thankfully the decision with reside with the DWP who will, hopefully get all the evidence to make an accurate assessment.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • snookey
    snookey Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Id be asking the question why is the person scooting around in a disability scooter if not disabled. Its not as if they are cheap. Not everyone in severe pain show it and lots try to do every day things despite the pain it causes.
    It makes me so angry that disabled people are unable to take part in life without a witch hunt. I look so called normal but my disabilities are hidden. It seems that everyone is judge and jury over anyone who gets dla or any sickness benefits. Its not as if its going to give you a fantastic lifestyle.
    Do everyone a favour and ask the women to show you her disabilities as you are so hell bent on destroying her life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport