We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How much do you live on per month?

Options

Comments

• mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a little late to this party, but I did read all 17 pages this morning while I was having my coffee :D

We're a two-person-two-moggie household and once the bills are paid I allocate money for emergencies, Christmas, entertainment and our car fund. I then allow £210 per month for all food, toiletries, cleaning bits and cat gubbins and have another £140 left for my spending. Out of that £140 I do pay money into my savings as well. It's generally spent on coffees, magazines and other fripparies, although I'm not half as bad for that as I was when I was in debt.

Mr Fresian isn't working at the moment and his dole money is running out, so I think we're going to be a lot skinter soon. We're paying all the bills etc from my wages at the moment and he pays for his ciggies etc from his dole money. I suspect we're going to have the mother of all domestics when his money runs out and I refuse to buy him ciggies :rotfl:
  • beachie
    beachie Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    vka1 wrote: »
    Hi May! I admire you, I've tried going away on my own and just can't learn to like it. And welcome to the forums. At this rate we'll be starting a thirty something single girls thread.....it would, of course, have to come with cocktails....

Lucy - I read an article recently which suggested single life costs us about £6k more a year than cohabiting/married chums. Makes sense. There used to be a family of three in my flat. Still costs the same to heat, repair, buy etc regardless of how many people live here, same goes for the car etc.

V

Ah, I'm not thirty something or a girl, but I am single so won't be able to join the new thread :(:rotfl:

£6k is a rather scary amount of money! I love living alone but I do sometimes wish I had someone to share the costs with so I could pay off more of my mortgage.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £91830 [/STRIKE][STRIKE] Jan 12 - £89'199[/STRIKE] May 14 - £69'999 Car Loan: [STRIKE]Jan 11 - £3658 [/STRIKE] July 12 - £0! Credit Card: [STRIKE] Jan 11 - £3300 Jan 12 - £2250 [/STRIKE] Oct 13 - £0

MFiT-T3:#43 (Half Mortgage) April 13 - £10719/£42875 (25.00%)
  • vka1
    vka1 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Kerri - perhaps it should be ladies who rarely lunch anymore thread!! And definitely pay for what they consumed.....instead of everyone else's indulgences. My worst ever experince of this was driving to a friend's brithday lunch where everyone else consumed vast quatities of wine, puddings etc. I had a starter and after sending my cold with a hair in it main course back they forgot to deliver another and evenitually canclled my order. I ended up paying nearly £30 for a lime and soda and a bowl of soup! I was to 'polite' to point this out and upset someone's birthday. And they fellow lunchers weren't polite enough too realise the imbalance. THe MSE converted me wouldn't let it pass.....

Fresian - would rollies be an option until you get him to stop smoking? Could be less than £15 a month, instead of £6+ a packet.....madness! Good luck with it. If he can be persuaded, try to get him to read one of Allen Carr's stopping smoking books,

V
  • vka1
    vka1 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    PS Beachie - £6k is scary isn't it?! Have also posted a wee reply on your car thread. Hope useful.

Always welcome as long as you can do cocktails......

V
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

last time I spoke to Ani, she told me she had a lot of work coming up and it was long hours, so I think that is why she has not been on. Did send her a message saying everyone was asking after her :)
  • iwantahome
    iwantahome Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    MAY1950 wrote: »
    I just prefer being by myself. I actually find it makes me more confident and independent going by myself. I know if I was with someone I would probably always let them take the lead/make final descision as to what to do and then be very annoyed.

Snap. Well I haven't actually made it onto a holiday by myself yet. But I will do this, just because I can.

Can I join too?

I'm not looking for a relationship, just a life.

Oh and after reading this thread I am determined to get a book, walk confidently into a bar, order a glass of wine and sit down and devour a whole chapter before running back out again. :rotfl:

Like knock down ginger, but knock back a wine/chapter.

Don't you find with most things it is just the initial putting the first foot forward that is the hardest? and once you've done something once it is not a big deal the next time.

Remember that while we may be jealous of other coupled friends during the winter-snuggle-months. The summer is on its way, and this is the best time to be single.
    DFD: 23/12/2010
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MAY1950 wrote: »
    As a single person, I have to admit I prefer being on my own, when friends offer to come with me on holiday, I find I am making excuses as to why they can't come, Going on my own I find I can do what I want when I want without having to ask someone else.
    The only thing I will NOT do is go into a pub on my own, sure why.

I'm 30, single, and while it's great going away and doing things with friends, if I relied on some friends, I would never get to do it. Like 2 years travelling, or a trip to Iceland at the end of this month.... I would still be waiting! I don't want to have regrets and wish I had done this, that and the other.....

One thing that does annoy me though is that travelling alone is so blimming expensive with single supplements, etc etc. :mad:
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    saorsie wrote: »
    here you go ~ linky to list of challenges

Love the thread btw ladies and gents and just for what it's worth ~ singledom rocks (not that I am :o however have been) err not having to rely/tidy up after anyone else, not having to consult anyone else, don't have to make conversation if you don't want to, can eat what and when you like and don't even get me started on trips, awaydays, sitting in pub, reading with a lovely glass of wine, watching the world go by etc etc ~ what's not to like! :p

<slopes off again>

-s-

That has just dragged me out of my 'I hate being single' mope.... Thank you :D
  • MAY1950
    MAY1950 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mandamoo, sounds like a fab idea, let me know what challenges you have signed up to, so far from what I can remember I have signed up to the Olympic 2012 challenge and the no spending in April, which I have failed already, crashed an burned yesterday.

Regarding eating out, I have a theory, or it might just be me, but when I go out to resturants on my own it, it takes them sooooo long to serve me, that i practically have to stand in their way to be served. They seem assume I am waiting for someone. My longest wait was 20 mins to be acknowleged with only 2 other couples in the resturant at the time. It did however save me some money as I decided to only order a main course.

Love the idea of cocktails, just thinking of them makes me smile,
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vka1 wrote: »
    PS Beachie - £6k is scary isn't it?! Have also posted a wee reply on your car thread. Hope useful.

Always welcome as long as you can do cocktails......

V

and you shave your legs :D

Anyway I think it's nice to have a fella on a thread - there are a few around that don't.

Hope I can stick around - I'm 40 in a couple of months :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family