Nationwide (merged)

Options

Comments

• digitalphase
    Options
    I got a letter today from Nationwide saying they've refunded my charges plus a pending charge and my court costs :) No mention of closing my account but not bothered if they do as I have debit card accounts with Barclays and Halifax and this is only a cash card.

YAY! A massive weight off my mind before Christmas :)

A Question: Do I just cancel the file on the Moneyclaim website now stating that it's been settled out of court in my favour?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me :)
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Question: Do I just cancel the file on the Moneyclaim website now stating that it's been settled out of court in my favour?

You should have a section on the moneyclaim site that you can notify the court that your claim has been settled in full. You need to inform them.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • parki
    parki Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Yes had my 30 day notice closing my account, i was one step ahead and opened another account.They spat their DUMMY out when i put a claim against them. I got my money back thats the main thing, if they keep closing accounts down they will not have any customers left. Cheers Nationwide :beer:
  • sexyeyes83
    Options
    Hi,

I have an account with the nationwide, but have not used in in about 5 years.
    Received a letter at my mothers address from a debt collector asking for me to get in touch regarding a debt with Nationwide.

To cut it short, I phoned the Nationwide and asked them to send me all my statements out before I even thoguht about paying the £312 the say is outstanding. Was a bit of a battle but managed to get them for free.

I had received a few letters in the past stating my account was overdrawn, so made payments to clear it off. Appears the money I paid in was only clearing the bank charges.

Even though I changed my address, the still posted the letter to my parents address! When I phoned the debt collectors to tell them the account was in dispute they asked for my new address. Told them to get it from Nationwide as they have it. Was advised "Its illegal not to provide details to a debt colelction agency!" They ended up putting the phone down on me because I wouldnt give in!

Reading through the statements, I went overdrawn once by £42.79 in 2001.

Money Withdrawn Since 2001 - £170
    Money Paid Into Account Since 2001 - £494.69

Unauthorised Overdraft Fees Since 2001 - £555.00
    Interest Charged Since 2001 - £95.01

So im being charged £650.01 for going overdrawn by £42! How disgusting is that!

Going to start sending the letters out whent he post office opens. My partner hs already claimed back charges from his bank, but this was a bit of a surprise for me!

Just a quick question though, On each statement where they have charged an unauthorised fee, there is an amount of interest that has also been charged underneath. Can this also be claimed back along with the 8% (when it gets to court stage)? Ive put it through the spreadsheet (like to be organsied!) and worked it all out, just checking that its fine to claim that also.

Thanks
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you get it allllll back. gl
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • sexyeyes83
    Options
    jinkssick wrote:
    I hope you get it allllll back. gl

Thank you :)
  • sexyeyes83
    Options
    How come my thread has been merged into this one?
  • digitalphase
    Options
    I got a letter from Nationwide saying that they would be closing my account in 30 days time too. I got my charges waivered and even a bit extra back so :beer: Nationwide :)

I already got two debit card accounts with Barclays and Halifax so I'm not really going to be crying over a cash card. Plus the fact that I've had the account about 2 years, and up until this dispute had never gone overdrawn and regularly used the account for direct debits etc. I asked for it to be upgraded twice but both times I was told my 'calculation' wasn't high enough so they wouldn't upgrade. So stuff them and their silly calculations system! It can't be a credit check as Halifax gave me an account straight away! :rotfl:
  • roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    jazoo wrote:
    Hi there,

My worry is though, it seems that some people have gotten their accounts closed due to them not willing to agree to the T&C of the account.....:

Nationwide will close your account, but remember all you've done is not abide by the Ts+Cs, whilst Nationwide have applied unlawful penalties that a court will not uphold, so start applying to get your money back.

jazoo wrote:
    ..... I do also have my Natwest account (with no charges) but prefer having the 2 separate. :confused:

Move all DDs and SOs etc to this account before starting with reclaiming Nationwide to avoid further problems.

Not sure why you prefer to have 2 separate accounts with different banks.
    You can have two separate accounts with the same bank and have the benefit of instant money transfer (Smile for example allow you to have several current accounts if that's what you wish).
    Having two separate accounts with two different banks just seems to double the work to access and maintain and double the risk of getting penalty charges.
  • shariatlanta
    Options
    I have only had my Nationwide account since February this year and up until now have kept within my limits, however due to an oversight on my part I forgot to transfer some money from my savings account and subsequently three cheques and 1 DD were returned and I now have £120.00 charges coming out at the end of January. I have spoken to head office about this and they told me to write to my branch, what I'd like to know is should I just write a letter explaining whats happened and hope they take pity on me or send in the standard reclaim charges letter.

I don't really want to open another account elsewhere as this was my safety net as I am currently paying off an overdraft with the Natwest ( will be claiming from them in the New Year )

Would really welcome some advice on this matter.
    Paid off so far Natwest overdraft £1900 Kays catalogue £200 Personal Loan £2500 Tax Credit £1300 J D Williams
    Still to go Barclaycard £880 Sainsburys CC £38.80 Littlewoods CC £208 Vanquis CC £390 Littlewoods Cat £821.38 Next £75.26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure