Nationwide (merged)

Options

Comments

• parki
    parki Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I Started claim on the 7/12/06 .The courts sent it off and i received a letter from courts on the 9/12/06 stating they have till the 28/12/06 to reply .Lets see what happens now, i will just sit tight and see what they pull out of the bag.Thanks:T
  • digitalphase
    Options
    Hi

I did post about this a while ago but cannot remember my log in details so I've had to register again.

Basically what happened is this. I am a full time student who relies on my student loan to pay my bills. Due to someone at my University not sending something off in time, unknown to me, my loan was paid in late. I kept being promised that it would get paid in on a certain day but it didn't happen and this went on for a few weeks. Once I'd finally got my loan through I rang Nationwide to query something on my account and they then told me that I had been charged £327 to cover unpaid/returned direct debits. I explained my circumstances and she said to write to the branch manager. So I sent a copy of the sample letter 1 from this website. They replied basically saying I'd known about the charges when I got the account. Anyway so next thing I did was addressed a letter to the complaints department of Nationwide enclosing a copy of my original letter and also my modified sample letter 2 from this website. I have received a letter back saying they aren't interested in my situation and expect me to pay the charges.
    The charges haven't actually been taken I should add, because it's just a cash account with no overdraft and I removed my loan into another bank account once I found out about their charges.
    I keep getting calls from Nationwide - at least 4 a day - so rang them up and said I wasn't paying the charges and that I am dealing with their complaints department directly. The bloke said he would put a temporary overdraft on my account to cover the charges and I'd have to pay these back £20 per month. If I didn't it would then go to their third party debt collectors.

I really don't know what to do. I did complain to my university about this because of that person who delayed my loan but just got one of those 'sorry to hear that' letters back from the bloke's secretary. My student finance advisor said to go on this forum.

The next step is to take them to court according to the guide but what if I loose? I am only a student and can't believe they want three hundred odd quid off me for 'admin costs'.

They also said they won't close down my account until it is paid but I have closed down the ISA I had with them.

Please help, I don't know what to do :confused: Should I just pay it off £20 a month? I really don't want to as I think this is so unfair.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    You certainly need to do something or it will end up with a debt collector.

As you seem to have done the first steps the final step is applying online to take them to court and hopefully they will respond favourably to you then.
  • digitalphase
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. So I need to do Step 5: Take it to Court?
  • digitalphase
    Options
    Ah found my thread... It was confusing that it had been moved :confused:

I will start the court proceedings and let you know how I get on.
  • digitalphase
    Options
    OK I have filed a case at court so fingers crossed it will be settled in my favour. I will update everyone as soon as I have further news.
  • parki
    parki Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all checked my bank today and £606 was put in by NWIDE.The actual amount they owe me is £724,i have no response from them to say they were paying me anything.What do i do now just wait and see what they do next.The papers was issued on the 12/12/06 .Can anyone advice what to do next as im not accepting it,and do i have to send a letter.Thanks for any advice you have been a rock to me,i wouldnt have been able to do it without MSE support.:A
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reply to them along these lines......................

I’m afraid I cannot accept your offer of £606 as full and final settlement of my claim. I would accept this amount as a part payment and without prejudice, but I will continue the claim for the balance.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Col_Gibbon
    Options
    Hi all.

I've just registered here, and this is my first post here, so please be gentle with me. :)

My wife and I, are on benefit, and we have two young children. For the past 4 years we have been racking up 25 to now 30 pound charges for standing orders which were not paid because of insufficient funds of in most cases several pence. On top of this, the fact we had a charge taken from our account, we were then short of money again, and therefore incurred another charge, and so on. A few months ago, this problem caused us to rack up 120 pounds of charges in one month. When I discussed the situation with our local branch, and later with Swindon, I was told they had changed their policy regarding waving charges, and offered us an overdraft loan to pay for these charges, which we excepted, as we had no other option. As we are on benefit, we have a fixed income of around 800 pounds a month, which hardly stretches to pay the normal bills and food. The charges from Nationwide have brought us to the edge of despair several times. :(

I hope someone here with a bit more knowledge can advise us on how we could recoup these charges. :o
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Start by reading the article below, then come back with any further questions:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure