🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Nationwide (merged)

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    dips1105 wrote:
    After being advised on a different forum about reclaiming bank charges to Nationwide I sent a basic letter - which I still have - to ask them to refund. They have replied saying No and that they acted fairly. Where can I go from here?

Also I see I can claim charges going back 6 years with closed accounts. I had a halifax account for which I cannot remember the account number and probably won't find any paperwork relating to it. How can I reclaim these charges?

Any Helpwould be grateful recieved!!!

As regards Nationwide just go on with Step 4 in Martin's article here and inform them you will take them to court regarding your claim.

For the Halifax send off to the address in the first post of the address thread giving them your name, address and date of birth and ask any information held on you for the past 6 years.
  • weiran
    weiran Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Even after the "threaten court action" letter Nationwide are still not budging on refunding me, even though I think I have a relatively low ~£130 claim.

I'm just wondering now whether its worth the hassle of going through court to get £130...
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    weiran wrote:

I'm just wondering now whether its worth the hassle of going through court to get £130...

That's probably exactly what Nationwide are banking on, and why they haven't offered you anything.

Add your interest, and issue your claim. You will also claim back for court fees so it won't cost you anything if they settle (very likely)
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • mark1968_2
    Options
    hi just got back my 1st letter from nationwide saying no to my claim so will
    have to go to the next stage and see what happens anyone after the address
    my letter came from
    mr richard huntley
    customer service manager
    nationwide building society
    member account servicing
    1st floor electra house
    farnsby
    swindon sn2 1sr
    hope this helps
  • lexislittle
    Options
    I'm sorry if this post does not belong here - I find this all terribly confusing!

I have just been informed by Nationwide that they will be charging me for a late credit card payment this month.

I paid off £50 of the card online on December 4th. The payment was due December 5th.

They claim that I need to allow 3 working days for it to process - despite the fact I can find nothing to say this online, and had I done it in branch or on the phone, it would have been instant.

Can I claim this back? I find it ridiculous that I'm being charged for being late when I paid a day early!
    *proud to be dealing with my debts*
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

The best approach would probably be to phone Nationwide and, very nicely, explain to them that you were unaware that you needed to allow 3 working days for online payments to be processed and would they, in this instance, be willing to wipe off the late payment charge. Hopefully, they will just give you the usual lecture:rolleyes: and agree to refund the charge.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • lexislittle
    Options
    ^ Done it, they won't budge. They say it's all my fault.
    *proud to be dealing with my debts*
  • parki
    parki Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I sent off my letter requesting they pay the charges back on my account which they charged me from 2003-2006 and received this letter back.Thank you blah blah blah,I would like to explain the rationale behind our charging policy.As you know if we allo items to be paid and it means you go overdrawn or exceed your agreed overdraft ( which i didnt have one ) or we have to return an item unpaid on your account then we will make a charge in accordance with the terms and conditions.Details of our tariffs are contained within our FlexAccount interest rates and charges leaflet,freely available in branches and provided hen opening an account and agreed by yourself when you sign in acceptance of the terms and conditions when signing the application forms.

Nationwide beleives it is open and transparant about charges and members are prenotified prior to charges being debited via their monthly statements.if at any time we make changes to the tariff, account holders are always informed.I hope that this has helped clarify our posistion and you will appreciate why i am unable to refund any charges on your account.

However it is possible to avoid all charges and Nationwide illl always try to assist a member where they are experiencing difficulties,subject to you meeting our lending conditions.

What do i do now ,have i got to send another letter or do i start court proceedings, also can anyone advise on the interest rates ,do i claim these also .thanks
  • bigtee
    Options
    hi to all this is my first posting just a quick question can i try to reclaim my bank charges from nationwide as they are a building society and not a bank sorry if this is a silly question but would rather ask here than find out later many thanks
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    parki, just start the court proceedings

bigtee, yes you can claim from Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport