Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back?

Options

Comments

• waltzingmatilda57
    waltzingmatilda57 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2011 at 7:59PM
    Options
    You should contact the store you ordered the wallpaper from and advise them of the problem - your contract of sale is with them, not the manufacturer who sent you the wallpaper. The store should contact their supplier, in this case the manufacturer, and advise them of their mistake. There should be a 'reasonable' period of time for the manufacturer to arrange to have the extra wallpaper uplifted either by themselves or for the store to uplift it on their behalf. Check with CAB or similar on how long is a reasonable period of time in this case. If this period of time has passed and the wallpaper has not been uplifted, you have the legal right to keep it free of charge, unless you have been asked to allow further time to have it removed, or you have obstructed any attempts to have it removed. You should put all correspondence with the store in writing, making a phone call or calling into the store is ok but make sure you have a copy of what you have said to leave with them. Remember - your contract is with the store you paid , the store's contract is with the manufacturer.
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    mr-tom wrote: »
    Inform them in writing (keep a copy of the letter and let them know that they have x weeks to collect as you are not prepared to store it for longer than that on their behalf.

If they don't come to take it, dispose of it in the manner of your choice.

As commented by others - not a dilemma at all - as per suggestions already made just contact them in writing (or email) to advise them that you will hold them for collection for no more than 4 weeks after which time you will dispose of them.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    I think this comes under the category of 'unsolicited goods' Contact the manufacturer, telling him that you have 40 rolls of wallpaper that you did not order. Say that they have 28 days to arrange collection of them. if they are still uncollected after that time they are yours to do what you want with.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • HilariousJoy
    Options
    :j can't really see that this is a 'dilemma' - do the right thing and phone the company - what they choose to do with their product is their decision. ;)
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    Simple answer.......it's not yours!
    There is a law that covers this I believe, that says that you tell them, and it's their responsibility to recover the unpaid for goods.

What do you want, free wallpaper you don't want, or a criminal record you don't want.
  • canal-man
    Options
    The majority agree with me - you must make some effort to return them, though not at your expense, as it was not your fault.
    I am so sorry the resulting comments were not quite unanimous.

Years ago, I ordered and received a docking station/cassette interface for my programmable calculator. I waited and waited for them to charge my credit card, but it never happened. I should have drawn it to their attention, but didn't.

I've regretted that ever since. I think the firm has now gone out of business, indirectly partly because of my (in)action.
  • funandfrugal
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    No dilemma for me - tell them.
    In any case sometimes these mistakes are discovered long after the event.
    Not sure about the legal situation but surely the moral situation is clear.
    :T

Good to see someone else with decent morals. Why this would be a dilemma is beyond me!
  • Annette_Jones
    Options
    It's good to see the majority of the responses are positive - yes let them know they made a mistake. We all make mistakes, and somebody is always affected, doesn't matter how small or large the mistake. If they trace the mistake to you, will you be embarrassed for not mentioning it or will you lie? If you have a conscience (and you appear to have one because you posted this dilemma online) you'll remedy it. Well done in advance...:T
  • P.Chappers
    Options
    You need to inform the retailer in writing and keep a copy
    Ask them to arrange for the goods to be collected within 3 months otherwise you will dispose of the goods.
    Once the time has passed, and provided they have not attempted to collect, then dispose at will, with a clear concience
  • airheadgreg
    Options
    Send them back! This really isn't a dilemma, more of a simple choice "Do I steal from that old age pensioner or work an honest days work" league of dilemma.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure