Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back?

Options

Comments

• MSlearner
    Options
    Would you keep quiet if they had sent less rolls than you ordered? No, you would want them to put it right and I am expect that they would, this should work both ways.
    Haven't you ever made a mistake and had someone correct it nicely, didn't it make you feel better/relieved?
  • keylockb
    Options
    We only wish to trade with honest businesses. Surely, we must be equally scrupulous. It is dishonesty that contributes to higher prices for goods and services: eg we all pay extra on car insurance to cover the non-payers. Do the right thing and we will all benefit eventually.
  • JoannaS_3
    Options
    Spuggy37 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how the delivery even got past the front door? Someone must have had to be around to accept the goods and surely when the rolls kept coming that would have been the time to let them know of the mistake. It's not like it was only a couple extra rolls which weren't noticeable so this suggest it was perhaps at the back of your mind you could profit from the mistake when accepting all the rolls. Still theft though if you keep them and it would have saved the hassle of having to get them collected if you'd mentioned it at the start.

Yes this is a different angle on the situation....if someone took delivery of the rolls which they must have done, assuming they knew the order was for 5 rolls they knowingly took 40 extra rolls they shouldn't have.....now that's what I would call a thief!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • JoannaS_3
    Options
    As far as I'm aware this is a MORAL dilemma not a legal one! Forget the stealing element, wherther it is or it isn't doesn't matter.....how does your conscious feel? That's the only question you need to answer!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • Trunk_z
    Trunk_z Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I would have put that lot up on eBay so fast...

I would probably tell the people I bought it from that it's there - although whenever this has happened to me, they never bother to collect it.
  • Jublet
    Jublet Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    No dilemma, they are unsolicited goods. You should do the decent thing and let the company know what they have done. But if they take more than a couple of weeks to collect the excess paper you can charge them for storage. Don't threaten that, though, until they fail to make a goodwill gesture to you for your honesty.
  • blowinbubbles
    Options
    Slightly different story, but a couple of years ago in Tunisia, I went to the hotel desk to change some money. When I got back to the table in the bar, I split the money with my wife so we both had money in our wallet and purse. Whilst counting it out, I realised that I had been given way too much, I mean £200 or more. I went back to tell them, and they thought I was complaining that I was not given enough. They opened the draw, got more money out, and tried to hand yet more over to me. they could not believe i would not take it and that I even returned to the desk after their first mistake. Once it was sorted, I went back, sat in the bar, carried on drinking, but really felt good about myself. That feeling was worth every penny I had returned.

Return the wall paper
  • sweeney
    sweeney Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with those who say there is no moral issue here, it is a legal one and if you don't do one of two things, you will be guilty of Theft under the Theft Act 1968. Either return the excess or advise the company of their error and give them the appropriate no of days to collect it (CAB will know how long if MSE doesn't) If they fail to collect the goods become yours after a period.
    A conviction for theft can do a lot of harm to your life - perhaps MSE ought to give those details?
  • tallgirld
    Options
    I think they want you to keep them.

So what you do is see if the rolls can be used anywhere else in the house. If not sell them on EBAY :-)

It's not stealing. They dont want them. Why else would they send you 40 extra? :-)
  • freddy27
    Options
    You should most certainly contact the supplier telling them of the error, give them the opportunity to collect. In a certain time. If not collected, sell it or use it in several other rooms.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure