PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options
1168169170171172174»

Comments

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Very late u[dating this - not been around for a while! Overspent too - so not too good!
    Month finished at £370/350
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey, just worked out my budget and I'm aiming for £20 a week or less on groceries in March. Sorry to butt in!

:wave: you're not butting in, everyone is welcome!

have you posted your budget on the March Challenge thread?

to make sure MrsMC sees you and adds you to the list, its best to type your figures in red (click on the big A with the black line under) ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mfwin2019
    mfwin2019 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Declaring £176.79/£175 for Feb was OK until DH remembered a couple of bits he bought
    Declutter 2023  110/520
    Jan grocery challenge 324.44/350 25.56 spare
    Feb grocery challenge 204.45/280
    March gc 0/310

23 minutes a day self care, decluttering, tidying or cleaning 
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glad to say I managed to get about £55 from my original £70! Used up loads of things which were in freezer and cupboards as well.
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    janie-h wrote: »

This apple cinammon cake is really easy to make and tastes yum!

APPLE CINAMMON CAKE -

8oz soft margarine
    8oz brown sugar
    3 eggs
    4oz walnuts (chopped)
    4oz sultanas
    8oz SR flour
    2tsp baking powder
    14oz apples (peeled, cored and grated)
    1tsp cinammon

Oven 180C/350F/Gas4. Grease and line 9" deep cake tin.
    Mix marg, sugar, eggs, walnuts, sultanas, flour and baking powder together until thoroughly blended.
    Put half mixture in cake tin, then grated apple, sprinkle cinammon, then rest of mixture. You can sprinkle with more sugar and walnuts on top if you want.
    Bake for about 1quarter-1half hours or until well risen and golden brown.

Delicious cut in wedges with or without custard/cream/ice cream! :D

Made one of these this morning and its nearly all gone LOL, Its one of the nicest cakes I've tasted in a long time, thank you so much for posting the recipe :)

Fish pie for dinner yum yum!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    martafdz wrote: »
    Again, I found this recipe online, I have tried it and I am happy with the result so here it goes!

Ingredients

175g butter/margarine (I used I can't believe.. and it was fine)
    175g sugar (recipe said caster sugar but I used normal sugar and a bit of icing sugar since I run out before the 175g, and it also was ok lol)
    3 eggs
    250g self rising flour
    1 lemon

Method

1. Mix the butter and the sugar together. Stir until you get a creamy paste.

2. Add one egg (whole, no need to separate) and one tablespoon of flour. Mix well. Repear again with the rest of the eggs, adding a tbsp of flour each time too.

3. Add the juice of the lemon and the rest of the flour. Mix well.

4. Bake at 180C in the centre of the oven for 1h - 1h and 15min. My oven is fan assisted and it was ready in 45 min so check if the centre is done with a toothpick every now and then. In the recipe it said after 25 min you could also add some thin citron peels on top and put back in the oven, I have not done that.

5. Let it cool for 10 minutes before taking it out of the tray (I used a round one). Then remove and put in a plate to cool down completely.

Well, mine is still warm but there is a quarter missing! :rotfl:Really nice and the after taste is great (lemony mmmm)

Made this earlier after finding the recipe it is lovely.Nice and cheap and leaves you wanting more;)
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    please can someone put up the link to the recipe for lemon curd made in the microwave. thanks a lot.
  • EastMidsGal
    Options
    l.m.hart wrote: »
    500G PLAIN FLOUR
    7 G SALT
    1 TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL.

ACTIVATE YEAST IN WARM WATER
    ADD TO OTHER INGREDIENTS.
    KNEAD
    PROOVE
    KNEAD
    THEN PROOVE AGAIN( I NORMALLY DO 2 ND PROOVE IN THE LIGHTLY OILED LOAF TIN,
    THEN IN THE OVEN.

PLAIN FLOUR MAKES IT LIGHTER,( HUGH FERNLEY W RECIPE):D
    Thank you for all your kind thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

How much yeast do you need?
  • Homeagain
    Options
    ChocClare wrote: »
    Your wish is my command, mothership :D Accept no substitutes: Emperors and beggars alike would step over their dying mothers for my grandmother's trusty, no-cook Apple Chutney recipe.

You will need one pound each of:
    Apples, peeled, cored and diced
    Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Sultanas (I use value ones)
    Brown sugar

Put these into a bowl and stir

Pour over one pint of malt vinegar

In a piece of muslin, tie up 1 rounded teaspoon salt; pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice. Bury this bag in the mixture and stir again.

Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the spice bag. Decant into sterilized jars.

Preferably leave at least 6 weeks before munching your way through this. It will keep for YEARS - none of this once opened keep in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days mallarkey. The jar in my cupboard which is open and used for cheese and pickle sandwiches on a weekly basis says September 2006 on the label (we stored things in a less than optimum way and ate the 2008 batch before the last of the 2006 was finished). I used to make a big batch every two years (as you may have gathered) but now make it annually as so many people who've once tasted it now insist on jars of it as presents :rotfl:

Yum.

I am trying out your recipe as we speak (as it were) ... will let you know in 6 weeks time. Thanks
  • Homeagain
    Options
    Ok, the changes are (all MSE):-
    Apples on special at Mr S;
    Dates (bit more than I expected to spend but Tesco is far from me (i.e petrol vs. saving);
    Onions on special;
    No muslin ... clean pair of tights cut up;
    Value Malt Vinegar;
    and the family are eating it straight from the bowl, before I have even the chance to decant into my (old) jars.
    Result!!
    Tastes great and would make a really good Christmas present! Thank you so much for this recipe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure