edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.6K views

Replies

• ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Mothership wrote: »
    I was also hoping someone had a wee chutney recipe. :D

Your wish is my command, mothership :D Accept no substitutes: Emperors and beggars alike would step over their dying mothers for my grandmother's trusty, no-cook Apple Chutney recipe.

You will need one pound each of:
    Apples, peeled, cored and diced
    Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Sultanas (I use value ones)
    Brown sugar

Put these into a bowl and stir

Pour over one pint of malt vinegar

In a piece of muslin, tie up 1 rounded teaspoon salt; pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice. Bury this bag in the mixture and stir again.

Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the spice bag. Decant into sterilized jars.

Preferably leave at least 6 weeks before munching your way through this. It will keep for YEARS - none of this once opened keep in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days mallarkey. The jar in my cupboard which is open and used for cheese and pickle sandwiches on a weekly basis says September 2006 on the label (we stored things in a less than optimum way and ate the 2008 batch before the last of the 2006 was finished). I used to make a big batch every two years (as you may have gathered) but now make it annually as so many people who've once tasted it now insist on jars of it as presents :rotfl:

Yum.
  • edited 2 February 2011 at 11:20PM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K posts
    edited 2 February 2011 at 11:20PM
    Came in just under budget for January and so far have 2 no spending days so its a good start. Nothing eventful or interesting to tell I'm afraid!
    Making sure I keep up my packed lunches for work and going to keep a supply of dried stuff in my locker(instant food) for emergencies! That way I will not spend.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • I am in for £450 again
    thanks
    2 adults 3 children
    Debt mar 17 £43,277
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    A No Spend Day for me today so off to update my signature in a minute.

Feeling quite :A as tonight's dinner was very nice but all leftovers!

DH and I had the remains of the chicken fried off with onions and mushrooms, sprinkled with paprika and then a couple of tablespoonfuls of yoghurt on a bed of rice as a pretend chicken stroganoff (do people HAVE chicken stroganoff??!).

Meanwhile, DD had a vegetarian chilli comprising broccoli, beans carrots, sweet potatoes, sweetcorn, tomatoes, onions, leeks and celery with a tin of black-eyed beans which has been languishing in the cupboard for ages, plus of course chilli powder and grated chocolate. I think there may have been some tomato puree in there as well. Anyway, what it was was basically everything that was sitting at the bottom of the fridge looking like it might not get eaten. She said it was "really nice" (she is 15: this is ultimate praise). There was enough left for me to make her three more servings (with the leftover rice), one of which she asked to take to school tomorrow for lunch and the other two are going in the freezer as "ready meals" for her.

Meanwhile the chicken carcass went in the slow cooker with more dodgy veg to make stock

AND I then pulled out the five cooked sausages, leftover mash and almost full tin of baked beans which were sitting in the fridge not being eaten by DS. I chopped the sausages into chunks and fried off with some sliced onions and mushrooms, added a splash of worcestershire sauce, the beans and some tiny cubes of cheddar from a piece an inch and a half square which was languishing. I then put this in an oven dish and spread the leftover mash on top, grating the last of the cheese on a very fine grater so it would cover it. And there's mine and DH's supper for tomorrow. Not so long ago I would have ignored those ingredients until they grew mould on them at which point they would have been consigned to the bin.

So I am feeling very holy :rotfl::T
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    980 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    First spend of the month today, £1.35 for milk, and I will need to get some cat food and a few other bits tomorrow.
    Weight loss challenge 6/12lbs

• PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Chocclare!!

Went to friend's house for dinner yesterday, which was fab! I volunteered to take pudding as they were feeding me, so I took a cheesecake out of the freezer and took it round! So lazy, but so MSE!! After seeing them, I went to [email protected] to do my first real shop of the month. Stocked up on rice (well, 2kg, but that will last us for ages!). I was really pleased with myself though, as I didn't stray off the list very much, and didn't buy random things, thinking "I'll cook something with that on ***day!" This whole stock taking thing really works, as before I wouldn't have known what I had, so stocked up on stuff I already had stocks of! I ended up spending £49.34, but did get loo rolls, 2 months' worth of lunchbox drinks, some cleaning bits as well as food stuff.

Normally when I go shopping, I don't really feel like I got enough for the money, but I'm quite pleased with what I got yesterday. Today is a NSD, will start tally in signature once I've signed off. I'm loving the new recipes we've been treated to in the last few weeks, keep 'em coming guys!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • kitschykitschy Forumite
    597 posts
    Well, not that successful a trip in that they didn't have the chicken I wanted (they only had SP chicken and although it's a lot cheaper, I don't like to compromise on things like meat and eggs for welfare reasons - I'd rather go without), or the deodorant I wanted, so had to get one that was a few pence dearer. BUT, have bought SP pasta and frozen sweetcorn (a sweetcorn's a sweetcorn, ain't it?) Overall spent £10.57 from my £65 budget, and stuck firmly to my list, so quite pleased so far :)
    Sainsbury's Savings Card £3.55
    March Grocery Challenge £0/£60
  • ChocClare wrote: »
    Your wish is my command, mothership :D Accept no substitutes: Emperors and beggars alike would step over their dying mothers for my grandmother's trusty, no-cook Apple Chutney recipe.

Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Brown sugar

In a piece of muslin, tie up 1 rounded teaspoon salt; pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice. Bury this bag in the mixture and stir again.

Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the spice bag. Decant into sterilized jars.

Preferably leave at least 6 weeks before munching your way through this. It will keep for YEARS - none of this once opened keep in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days mallarkey. The jar in my cupboard which is open and used for cheese and pickle sandwiches on a weekly basis says September 2006 on the label (we stored things in a less than optimum way and ate the 2008 batch before the last of the 2006 was finished). I used to make a big batch every two years (as you may have gathered) but now make it annually as so many people who've once tasted it now insist on jars of it as presents :rotfl:

Yum.

OOOoooh this sounds loverly!! Not loads of complicated ingredients......and I have loads of jars in the garage so may have found a use at last ...no cooking involved-I'm in:T Must jot this one down:D Thanks

Btw another NSD for me;)
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • edited 2 February 2011 at 11:47PM
    MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2011 at 11:47PM
    ChocClare wrote: »

Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Brown sugar

Yum.

I knew someone on here would have a recipe LOL:D This is a beauty. The only ingredient I don't have enough of is dates. I think I got my last batch at Holland and Barrat if I remember correctly.
    Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! :j:j:j

I'm going to try the Apple & Cucumber Chutney too that sounds yummy as well. Just hope its not as exciting as the marmalade escapade LOL.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • I had hoped to have a NSD today but ended up spending £11.73 in the Co-op as the kids have been raiding the fridge again. I do feed them well honestly :D. Bought yoghurts for the kids, bananas and stocked up on baked beans (on offer but we will eat them all over the next couple of weeks anyway). I have managed to down brand on most things but Heinz baked beans are my luxury item - nothing nicer than a cold baked bean sandwich nom nom nom....

I seem to be spending a fortune at the moment on lunchbox bits so I am trying to fill them with more hm bits to keep the cost down. Oh and she has now decided that she doesn't like sandwiches anymore :eek: Anyway, have threatened dd with school dinners if she doesn't eat her lunches which will include a sandwich like it or not.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan £462.44/£400
    Feb £210.10/£450, 2/10 NSDs