PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about baked apples?
    Scoop out the core from large cooking apple, fill with mincemeat with maybe some cinnamon/nutmeg and a sprinkle of brown sugar -
    Bake in the oven, preferable in a deep dish (we use a loaf tin) covered with foil (we kind of wrap them loosly). OH cooks them and he doesn't remember how hot or how long for but I seem to remember having to wait an awfully long time for them! He just used dried fruit, sugar and spices but would work well with mincemeat.
    Hope that helps.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Depends: if it contains suet I would definitely cook it so this dissolves, why not make a basic sponge less some of the sugar and mix the mincemeat in at the end before baking? This should freeze as well as any other cake, if you are desperate to get rid I find taking food into the office is a quick and effective remedy.

If it is a no-suet version, then mix it into custard and lightly whipped cream and freeze to make an icecream. Yum!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Options
    HI everyone.

YOu all are just so amazing with your ideas.
    Thank you sooooo much.

This is definitely teh best/most useful/friendliest board ever. Long may it continue.

Happy 2009 to you all.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Surplus mincemeat is not unknown at this time of year:D
    Check out this thread from earlier today;)
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Options
    ravylesley wrote: »
    I'd make a 4 egg sponge cake mix and whack it in that as it makes a really nice substitute for fruit cake

Lesleyxx

I've made cup cakes like this with mincemeat and they were lovely.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • septemberblues
    Options
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]i adjusted this and used mincemeat, i actually double the recipe (see notes at bottom)[/FONT]

[FONT=Univers,Arial]Old Fashioned Raspberry Bars[/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]110 g packed light brown sugar [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]125 g all-purpose flour [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]1 g baking soda [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]0.8 g salt [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]80 g rolled oats [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]115 g butter, softened [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]255 g raspberry jam [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Allow to cool before cutting into bars. [/FONT]
    Double recipe. cut sugar to 200 g ad 80g oats and 8og ground almonds

tastes delish!

hth

I've got 2 jars of left over mincemeat, I am going to try this tomorrow, it reminds me of a cake I used to make years ago, I'm hoping this will taste the same as I lost the recipe. Sounds absolutely delish - I shall make it with gluten free plain flour - my first attempt at using gluten free plain flour. Can't wait.........................:o
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • Jolaaled
    Options
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]i adjusted this and used mincemeat, i actually double the recipe (see notes at bottom)

Old Fashioned Raspberry Bars
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]110 g packed light brown sugar
    125 g all-purpose flour
    1 g baking soda
    0.8 g salt
    80 g rolled oats
    115 g butter, softened
    255 g raspberry jam
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan.
    Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
    Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge.
    Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
    Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Univers,Arial]Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
    [/FONT]Double recipe. cut sugar to 200 g ad 80g oats and 8og ground almonds

tastes delish!

hth

Just wanted to check...do you use mincemeat as a substitute for, or in addition to, the jam???
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    as a substitute, for the single amount half a jar, for a double amount maybe grate an apple into the mincemeat to make it go further.

it really does taste lovely, i have requests from work peeps to make more!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Jolaaled
    Options
    as a substitute, for the single amount half a jar, for a double amount maybe grate an apple into the mincemeat to make it go further.

it really does taste lovely, i have requests from work peeps to make more!

thanks so much. Am definitely gonna have a go at this tomorrow (far too cold out in kitchen tonight..am trying to 'make do' with just the log fire in the living room!).
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    let me know how you get get on,

my next version will be the raspberry jam one, i'm being cruel and making them wait til the end of jan, they had a lot of hm goodies in december so i think i spoilt my colleagues!!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure