PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    Options
    Delia smith xmas book has a lovely recipe for fruit cake with mincemeat in it. Its really moist and the one that we use all year round.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mincemeat (like a dog) is not just for Christmas!

I'd forgotten about stuffed baked apples, and mince pies - especially the un-traditionally shaped ones in a filo pastry parcel.

It can also be used in a big pie, especially with a lattice top, made with that Delia Smith lattice pastry cutter in the back of the kitchen cupboard.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feb 5th is Shrove Tuesday. Have some with your Pancakes.

• Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We made this over Christmas. It kept really well in a tin and was delicious

Mincemeat Cake

Grease and line an 8in round cake tin. Preheat oven to160 C/Gas mark 4

Ingredients:

8oz self raising flour

12oz sweet mincemeat

3oz dried fruit mix

3 eggs

5oz soft margarine

5oz soft brown sugar

1) Put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until well blended.

2) Spoon into tin and sprinkle some brown sugar on top.

3) Bake for 1hr 15 minutes until well risen and firm to touch.

4) Cool in tin for 5 minutes and then turn out on to rack.
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ellie2912 wrote: »
    i tried this recipe and it is just like what you are after ~ as in its got a crumble topping ,but the base although the same mixture as the top does go "pastry like" IYSWIM

http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?storycode=15127

i'm sitting here eating this now.. lol.. its gorgeous! I did think when i made it up that it was a bit too fatty so i put extra flour in. and then porridge oats. which has made it a bit too crumbly.. lol. so next time i make it i'll stop messing with it.. and maybe after i've put the half in for the bottom, stir porridge oats into the crumble mix for the top half to make it crumblier.

thanks though - definetly a keeper (would be lovely hot with custard ontop too!)

keth
    xx
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We were given scones with mincemeat in the mix when we went out one day before Christmas and they were lovely.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • ellie2912
    ellie2912 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kethry wrote: »
    i'm sitting here eating this now.. lol.. its gorgeous! I did think when i made it up that it was a bit too fatty so i put extra flour in. and then porridge oats. which has made it a bit too crumbly.. lol. so next time i make it i'll stop messing with it.. and maybe after i've put the half in for the bottom, stir porridge oats into the crumble mix for the top half to make it crumblier.

thanks though - definetly a keeper (would be lovely hot with custard ontop too!)

keth
    xx

they are defo one for the recipe folder... we managed to polish the lot in 2 days .... diet what diet :whistle: :D
  • Liz_M
    Liz_M Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    What can I make with minceameat? Obviously there's all the festive things but as it's July they wouldn't seem right lol. My mum seems to have overbought mincemeat at Christmas so there is loads in the cupboard and I want to make something out of it!
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now I dont see whats wrong with Mince Pies all year round??

I still make them all year as my kids love them.But if your dead set against mince pies how about making a fruit cake with the mincemeat.I have a recipe somewhere and it turns out luvverly

Failing that Mincemeat Crumble is nice too.The crumble I usually sprinkle a little mixed spice into.

Lesleyxx
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Liz_M

Use it to stuff baked apples.

Roll out a rectangle of ready frozen puff pastry. Spread a thin layer of mincemeat over the surface. Roll up to form a Swiss Roll and bake in a hot oven until the pastry is turning crisp. Serve with cream or ice cream.

Put a dessertspoon full into a bowl and cook with your porridge oats in the microwave for breakfast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure