PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    these all sound delicious
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    wow will have to try some of these. i've one massive plastic tub and a glass jar of mince meat. as due to illness of all my broad i didn't make a single mince pie as when i wasn't looking after someone i just didn't have energy to start cooking. so will be having belated mincepies and treats , lol.
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    best (and fastest) way of using up mincemeat ever - courtesy of Nigel Slater. Get a croissant, split in half, spread a tablespoon of mincemeat on the inside, sandwich back together and stick in a hot oven for about 5-10 mins to heat through. take out, open up, smear with a tablespoon of thick cream or creme fraiche, sandwich back together, eat as soon as it doesn't burn your mouth. Enjoy, and repeat as necessary. Happy New Year to all MSE oldstylers!
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I did a xmassy apple braid and used a few dollops of mincemeat in there mixed with the apples :D rather than the sultanas.
  • sally76
    Options
    My mum used to make what she calls "shoo pie". She made a large pie with a pastry base, mincemeat in the middle and a spicy crumble (with cinnamon and mixed spice) on top. A bit like mince pies I suppose, but much less fiddly. Its fabulous with custard on a cold winters day.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    oohh sally76 that sounds delish. hubby loves crumbles i might just be bestest wife ever if i made this.

love the apple braid idea dee. we just love the apple braids so a new twist will def get to be tried
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you've got any pastry to hand, or better still a pastry case, stick some mincemeat in the bottom of it, then put a straightforward sponge mix on top of it (all-in-one recipe is the easiest). Bake as you would do for a sponge, and it's lovely - sort of like a jam bakewell, but with fruit; for an extra twist, substitute some of the flour with ground almonds, if you have any still lurking in the cupboards. It freezes well, and so can be 'liberated' in mid-Feb, when a little bit of luxury is a real treat!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sally76 wrote: »
    My mum used to make what she calls "shoo pie". She made a large pie with a pastry base, mincemeat in the middle and a spicy crumble (with cinnamon and mixed spice) on top. A bit like mince pies I suppose, but much less fiddly. Its fabulous with custard on a cold winters day.
    Ooh my Welsh granny used to make that -I'd forgotten all about it -thanks for bringing back the memory :T
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I added some leftover mincemeat in my mixed fruit bread I cooked in the BM today as a substitute for the dried fruit to try it out, it was lovely!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone tell me the apple braid and iced bun recipes please have searched but cant find them thanks x
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure