PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Mincemeat Pancakes (stuff hot pancakes, dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream)

Mincemeat Bread and Butter pudding

Mincemeat Poor Knights Fritters (make mincemeat sandwiches and fry in a little butter until golden on each side and serve with cream/custard/ice creaam)

Crumble Slices
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crumble Slices (microwave & oven)
    6oz butter/marg
    6oz dark soft brown sugar
    60z porridge oats
    7oz plain flour
    pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    4oz jam/mincemeat/lemon curd/marmalade

Lightly grease an 8" square baking dish (I use my ceramic "Lasagne" dish as it's microwave safe)
    Cream the fat and sugar together.
    Stir in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    Press half of the mixture into the baking dish.
    Melt the jam/mincemeat/lemon curd/marmalade in the microwave for 30 secs and then spread the jam over the base.
    Crumble on the remaining oat mixture, pressing it down lightly.
    Bake in the microwave for 7 minutes (full power) or oven bake for approx 20 mins @ 375F/Gas 4
    Cut into squares and cool in the baking dish.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Freezable
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • super41
    super41 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    I sometimes mix mincemeat into apple when making apple crumble - makes a bit of a change and is tasty. I wonder what it would be liked mixed into bread & butter pud before baking? Just seen Queenie has suggested this so it must work!
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    The sainted Nigel Slater is where I got this idea from: Get a croissant, split it in half and spread it open, spoon a big dollop of mincemeat on one side, bung it under the grill for a couple of minutes until thoroughly hot and crispy, sandwich it back together with a dollop of creme fraiche or thick cream. Eat. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat up to 6 times. Honest.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    gooismeid wrote:
    .... Eat. Repeat as necessary. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat up to 6 times. Honest.
    :rotfl: :T :rotfl: :T :rotfl:

I won't for get to type those *very* important words at the end of the instructions when I copy this to my recipe program :o *whistle*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • GeDink
    GeDink Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Mincemeat Sponge Puddings

125g / 4oz butter (room temperature)
    125g / 4oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    125g / 4oz self-raising flour
    1tsp baking powder
    finely grated zest of 1 orange
    6tbsp mincemeat (add splash brandy to loosen if it's too thick to fold into mixture ;) )

6 lightly greased & sugared dariole moulds or ramekins

1 - Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180 C (170 C in a fan oven). In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients EXCEPT mincemeat until well combined.
    2 - Gently fold through mincemeat, then divide between dariole moulds or ramekins. Sit on baking sheet & cook for about 20 - 25 mins till cooked through. Carefully loosen edges, then turn out & serve with creme fraiche or custard.

Recipe shamelessly stolen from Decembers issue of Prima, they've really got some fab ideas & recipes in it! Hope this one helps :o
  • Robothell
    Options
    I don't have any mincemeat left but, is anyone else out there considering going and buying it off the reduced shelf in the supermarket and trying out those muffins? Or is it just me.....
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually mince meat stores well. The stuff in a local Morrisons was dated into 2008.

It gets better as it matures. So buy now for next Christmas. He sez :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jellyang
    jellyang Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    ohh they sound so yummmy will have to buy more mincemeat now.

Saw huge jar in Sainburys yesterday for 59p but decided I was fed up with mince pies!
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pastry base, (crushed shortbread biscuits with melted butter if you can't do pastry)
    Apple sauce layer, mincemet layer, crumble topping.
    Serve with custard / cream

Tomorrow, diet

T
  • anne99
    anne99 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stew a cooking apple (peeled, cored and sliced of course), add the mincemeat, a glug of orange juice and heat to simmering point. Add a splash of whisky (optional), then serve over vanilla ice cream. Goes down a treat!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure