PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some cheap jars of fruit mincemeat today, I love mince pies but has anyone got any other ideas please? My DH has said he used to have 'mincemeat slices'- Pastry on the bottom, then mincemeat with a crumbletype topping. I can't see any recipes for those though. Any suggustions please?
    TIA
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    I'll keep my eyes open for mincemeat slices, but you can make mincemeat muffins or a sort of mincemeat pinwheel if you've any puff pastry (rather like a Danish pastry).
    I like a good dollop of mincemeat in a baked apple, mmmmmm!
    :wave:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Try this older thread - 1/3 jar of mincemeat.

I'd make more mincepies - I fetched some from the freezer yesterday and DD ate 3 in a sitting :eek:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    I made fairy buns and put a tsp of mincemeat in the middle of each one - ds1 wolfed them. Also if you don't want to make lots of little pies - what about a large mincemeat lattice tart to be served with custard hot - or sliced cold for packed lunches.

There is a recipe for the mincemeat crumble things in the Delia Xmas book - sorry haven't got time to find it today - will look tomorrow.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i used some of mine and made a bakewell tart , but instead of jam i used the mincemeat .
    hubby said it was gorgeous.

It was pastry at bottom, thin layer of the mincemeat , then the spongy topping and covered in icing.

for the bakewell recipe i used red the thread started by DD&D - family of 5 shopping from home.

hubby had it also as a pudding with some custard.
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Oh this is fantastic! Thank you so much for all these suggestions!
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a recipe somewhere that uses mincemeat to make a fruit cake.Sounds unappealing I know but the results are really nice.Will dig it out and post it later

Lesleyxx
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    I made mincemeat crumble at christmas, it was easier to make than mince pies and tasted gorgeous. This is similar to the recipe I used, mine didnt have pecans on and also recommended not putting the mincemeat on the outer 1cm as it spreads.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=714573

everyone adored it, would definately repeat this one!
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest pastry base, then mincemeat, then crumble topping. Maybe bulk the mincemeat our with apples?
  • ellie2912
    ellie2912 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi i had a similar thing...loads of mincemeat left over.

i tried this recipe and it is just like what you are after ~ as in its got a crumble topping ,but the base although the same mixture as the top does go "pastry like" IYSWIM

http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?storycode=15127

hope it works...first time trying a link.

or these cakes from the bbc site are fab.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2795/little-mince-pie-cakes.jsp

these rose like muffins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family