We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would personally go for the events job. I once turned down a (potential) Christmas job at Primark (oxford street one ARGH!) for 2 weeks UNPAID work experience in TV. I'd make the same choice now (not the unpaid bit now I have experience!).

Go for the events job, may not be the best pay, but gets you in the industry, get the contacts you need.
  • katkim
    katkim Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2011 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Linda, I think after 6 months you go from contributions based to income based JSA. They could also signed you up to New Deal (directgov says from after 6-12 months depending on the case).

Lexilex, I would certainly look into doing both, if you think it's practical and not too much for you. It sounds like the office job are willing to be flexible, which is good. The part time work is probably a handover/training thing, rather than having to do specific tasks on a certain day. I second Steph's advice. I would ring the events job and ask if you can get a few more details about when/where etc, and then plan from there.

My chat with the agency went ok - it doesn't look like I'll have any problems with getting a work visa, but we had an interesting talk about whether the grass is really greener on the other side. Lots to think about, anyway.
  • lexilex
    lexilex Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. It is a lovely situation to be in considering just a week ago I was really down about everything. Shows how fast things can change.

My first thing is going to be finding out if I can do both for the first few months. That would be perfect.

If not, having chatted about it, I think I'm going to have to take the office job. I just cannot face the thought of been in this position in 6 months time. I want to save up for a house with my OH, and that can't happen without a permanent job with a half-decent wage.

If I had some money put away, I would do events without a doubt but I don't. I've been looking for a job for coming up to 5 months now, and I just couldn't do it again.

I'm really crossing my fingers that I can do both. The events is mornings only, 5 days a week. If they can just let me start an hour earlier, I could do the office job in the afternoon, or if they let me combine the hours into three days I could do two days in the office.

My head is spinning! Although part of me is secretly loving it. After months of hundreds of rejections, not one but two people want me :o
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I was sat here browsing the thread and my phone rings, i've now got an interview 3.00pm on Thursday afternoon in an industry I have absolutely no knowledge in at all! Anybody ever worked in the main dealer garage environment at all? I only applied yesterday afternoon so that could be a good sign.

Still it gives me something to work toward, time to go and do some research.
  • November5th
    November5th Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Got a no from the job I really wanted and was perfect for, got down to the last three, which is great for the future.
    Have an interview with another recruiter tomorrow, I better make a list of who I am with now!
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    Katkim that's great news! Certainly does give you a lot to think about! Have you watched Relocation Down Under at all? Looks like everyone on there did the right thing in moving to Australia to work, salaries are much higher and they all seem to still get a good amount of time to relax and chill out. I know when my brother was travelling there in December he said the NMW is £9 over there!

Lexilex that would be really good then if you can have a chat with them, sounds like there's definitely a possibility of being able to do both jobs.

Stew68 can't help you out with that industry but good luck! :)

November5th Good luck with your interview! :)

I see me sending out positive thought is working for you all today..... now they need to start working on me! :rotfl:
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • saxonrosecliff
    Options
    I'm getting fed up with recruitment agencies as well. I've dropped my CV off at quite a few of them and not one of them has been in touch. I'm only looking for an Admin Assistant type job, nothing too fancy and don't seem to be getting anywhere at all. Oh well, onwards and upwards. Good luck to everyone this week.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just got an email from one of the jobs. They're still finalising the details, but looks like I've got 3 days work next week! Woop! I just hope the pay rate is good. Fingers crossed it's £70/day - my usual rate.
  • stephyt23
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Just got an email from one of the jobs. They're still finalising the details, but looks like I've got 3 days work next week! Woop! I just hope the pay rate is good. Fingers crossed it's £70/day - my usual rate.

That's great news well done! :T
  • stephyt23
    edited 2 March 2011 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Just seen a new vacancy for a TA in a school I would LOVE to work in! They had a place going before Christmas which I have regretted not applying for but at the time I was waiting to see if I could transfer to a new Uni.

Only downside is that it doesn't start til 26th April

Edit: Just arranged to visit the school next Tuesday. My Mom suggested it as some school jobs say visits are welcome and I guess it shows you are serious about wanting the job. I'm actually feeling quite excited now. It's the perfect job for me! The right hours to fit around uni should I get in and it's in the key stage I'm most experienced in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport