Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• persa
    persa Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    I've just had a phonecall to say I've got an interview on Monday for a job at a bank. :j:j:j:j

Congratulations, hope it goes well. :)
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well i'm back from my interview........

It was unusual. I've not been to an interview before where the interviewer seems to spend the whole of the interview trying to put you off the job. He gave me all the bad sides about it over and over again but none of the good points which seems a bit weird. Every time I tried to explain something he'd jump in and start on about the job again.

I'm not sure it's the job for me but if it was offered i'd have to take it with my current financial position.

Hope everybody has found something worth applying for today.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really really want a job that will last a few months! I have so much already planned during the summer I need a way for paying for them! I'm happy I will be working 3 days next week, but I wish I could get a longer term job. I know I wont get a 'permanent' job, as that is not the nature of the TV business, well in the area I want to work in anyway. I want a job that'll last till June at least.

Money is going to start becoming a problem if I don't. I'm trying to reduce my debt, not add to it. Halifax has just increased my credit limit and I've got an overdraft not being use. These are horrible temptations when you have very little money coming in.

At least I've got £50 from a survey site coming in a few weeks (hopefully)
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well after worrying about my interview all week it went predictably badly

How I go back to applying for garbage dead end jobs after seeing what I saw today though is beyond me...I would have loved working there and could have done it!
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    persa wrote: »
    Congratulations, hope it goes well. :)
    thanks, I think this thread could be the good luck thread, I've been applying for jobs for a couple of years now and within a couple of weeks of posting on it I get my first interview in over a year :j:j:j
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a phone call yesterday and have an interview monday :)
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • Superly_Vince
    Options
    Since job hunting since last July, I have to say this has been one of the quietest weeks I've experienced in a loooooong time, not one phone call from a single recruitment agent, not even an enquiry! There are hardly any jobs to apply for this week :( I'd love to think this was the quite before the storm but that would just wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

I'm currently working on an application but I'm setting it aside for the night because my brain is a bit frazzled, I'll submit it tomorrow.

I've not been about on the site much this week but I hope everyone is having a great week and the job hunting is going well.
  • Superly_Vince
    Options
    stephyt23 wrote: »
    I am rapidly losing the will to live. I just sit and cry everyday trawling job sites and there's nothing else I can apply for.

Hang in their Stephy, do keep trying.

Have you looked in to temp work? Although it was inconsistant it was still something... a week here, two weeks there it kept me busy and it was an income at least.

I was made redundant in July, between then and December I got some temp work (my first assignment being 2 months after I was made redundant AND it was for my former employers for holiday cover, I couldn't turn it down... then after that was over I got 2 temp opportunities one after the other).

Things got to breaking point just after Christmas and I had to swallow my pride and sign on to JS... my flatmate said watch this... the second you sign on you'll get something... funilly enough he was right, two weeks later I got a job. Although it's a 6 month contract it's SOMETHING and it's experience and in the meantime I can look for something else (hopefully more challenging... dum dee da)

I've had days where I just stayed in bed and moped around crying, it's understandable... it's difficult out there. I hope you have someone to talk to because that helps a great deal, I hope you're getting support and encouragement
  • butterfly2001
    butterfly2001 Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey- can i join in here it seems you guys are great for support and i could really do with some ive been out of a job since graduating in 2009 :(
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!:j

• littlestar1981
    littlestar1981 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry you struggled today stephy23. It's definitely ups and downs, yesterday you sounded so excited and positive. If there's nothing to apply for it shows you're doing all you can and maybe you should take a couple of days break from looking?

Had my first interview today, all sounded really positive and I find out tomorrow, fingers crossed... not my ideal job but in the field I know and I can supplement it with voluntary work to put my career in the right direction...
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure