Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• Fruitloops
    Fruitloops Posts: 882 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey- can i join in here it seems you guys are great for support and i could really do with some ive been out of a job since graduating in 2009 :(

:hello:Welcome :) sure, join in with us, there's a cool bunch of people here!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hey- can i join in here it seems you guys are great for support and i could really do with some ive been out of a job since graduating in 2009 :(

Everyone welcome here, it's a shame we even have to have this thread but it's a great support to all of us who use it.

Sorry about the bad day Stephy, don't feel alone, we all get them. I spent so long preparing for my interview yesterday and then I felt it went so badly. I spent all last night thinking what an idiot the interviewer was and that I wouldn't want to work there anyway. Then wondering if it was him or just me.

Still it's Friday, lets hope for good news for some of us today.
  • katkim
    katkim Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    It's been a quiet two weeks for me too, Vince. I really hope it isn't a sign of things to come - at least filling in applications and sending of CVs gives you somthing to do and a little bit of hope!! I don't what I'll do if there's not even that...
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2011 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Sorry you struggled today stephy23. It's definitely ups and downs, yesterday you sounded so excited and positive. If there's nothing to apply for it shows you're doing all you can and maybe you should take a couple of days break from looking?

Had my first interview today, all sounded really positive and I find out tomorrow, fingers crossed... not my ideal job but in the field I know and I can supplement it with voluntary work to put my career in the right direction...

I know, didn't last long did I? I think your right really that I should give it a break. Either that or only look at then end of the day. I constantly look on every site I can think of several times throughout the day which is pointless as I then sit here and start over thinking things and wear myself down.

Good luck with hearing from your interview today

EDIT: decided to definitely just check job websites towards the end of the day, and my emails as well as I constantly check those. Re-emailed all agencies I contacted last week to say I'm still available for work so can't do much more now. Contacted a job a friend works at yesterday as they need a temporary cleaner, and right now I'll do anything.

Going to spend less time on here today and go and read my teaching text books. Need to start thinking more positively. Either way I'll be going to uni in September. I just don't know right now whether it will be back to my old uni full time in which case I just need work til September, or whether I'll be going to my ideal uni part time in which case I can do temporary work until I can get a school job to fit around studying. So thanks for your suggestion Littlestar, I think it's just what I need
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I got one of those group back to work sessions at the job centre today. Wonder if I'll learn anything useful... probably not! Oh well, gotta do it.
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Well I got one of those group back to work sessions at the job centre today. Wonder if I'll learn anything useful... probably not! Oh well, gotta do it.

You probably won't by my experience, however it is a good idea to try and say something during the session to make yourself look interested. I did read somewhere that somebody got sanctioned for not taking an active part. Not sure if it's true or not but better to be safe than sorry.
  • November5th
    November5th Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Interviewed with a great recruiter on Wednesday who asked me to send over a CV focussing on email marketing. Worked on it all day yesterday and sent it over but I just feel that it wasn't good enough, and the recruiter thinks I am not such a good candidate after all.
    I just don't know why writing that CV was so difficult.
    Things are starting to feel impossible. I have modern skills, I just don't understand why I am not getting anywhere.
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    Chin up everyone, it's horrible being out of work but we all have to try to stay positive, don't burn yourself out, take a days break if things are getting on top of you and do something for yourself :) we are only human!

I'm still in my temp job, but really can't hack it much longer, things here are ridiculous. I should hear about my interview early next week so I have my fingers crossed for some positive news!
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

Stephyt23, sorry you've been feeling sad, it is horrible.

My appointment at Encore yesterday was a waste of time. Its a good job I've got plenty of time to waste and able to park in town for free (Company where I used to work before the last one), because I would have wanted to pay for parking as well.

I had an appointment at Encore for 2.45pm for the Tempory garden centre job, (5 month contract as I said above)

Arrived at 2.30pm to what appeared to be a complete circus, radio blarring away, louder than I wanted and I wasn't even working, people talking over each other :mad:really professional NOT!!!

Anyway, asked to fill in a form, name, address etc. Fine. Took form back to desk, then asked if I could do the written test, yes of course I can, it involved picking lists and warehouse questions. Errmm okay, not that I've a clue about those, but I'll have a go :D

Handed in form and waited to be called. Remember I had a booked appointment for 2.45pm by this time it was 3.15pm and not seen Emma yet who I'd come to see. You wonder why she wasn't wondering where the hell I'd got too!!!!

Was called into a room about 5 mins later, and asked to tell me about myself. “Worked in office admin for 18 years blah blah blah”, Advisor asked if “I knew what sort of agency encore was” - I think they offer driving and warehouse work. “I said I'd seen advert for garden centre etc” - At which point Emma pops up and butts in, she was sitting at the desk behind !!

Anyway, to cut along story short, I bet your glad, Garden centre job didn't seem to exist anymore or wasn't available. But they had another place for me at a Craft Centre, packing ornament etc. Seemed okay, was near to me 08.00-16.00hrs ½ hour dinner etc. NMW

“Do I have Boots and Hi-Viz jacket” - Ermm No, I replied. “We can supply them at about £12.00 taken out of first weeks pay, what shoe size are you” “and can you start tomorrow”
    “Errrm Yes” - says I This was only tempory ongoing so nothing perminant.

So off she trots to get the boots and jacket. Comes back, Job filled very sorry, but we have another one, can I get to Melton Mowbray, which is miles away, Errm no sorry.
    So as I say, rather a waste of time, two jobs which either didn't exist or one that I'd applied for in the proper fashion, got a booked appointment and interview and offered the chance to go along, which the employer had agreed too, given away.

I'm pleased of course that someone has got the job, but thinking about it, I think I would have prefered to be able to go along to check it out for myself, rather than just turning up for a shift without an interview. I appear to have been given the chance as "I sounded nice on the phone" - these abit more to it than that, as we can all tell them.

They asked if they can keep in touch with a “day or two here or there”. I said that I wasn't really interested in that, thanks very much. :eek:

I was warned by the Job Centre, more than once, that this sort of thing might happen. :mad:
  • stephyt23
    stephyt23 Posts: 852 Forumite
    Options
    What a horrible experience Linda! It's no wonder we all hate agencies so much when they treat us like that. They could at least have had the decency to call and tell you the job was gone to see if you still wanted to go and register.

I'm off to Birmingham Monday morning for an appointment at an agency. I saw a nursery nurse job in Telford where I live advertised a couple of weeks ago and they finally got back to me about it. It said it was due to start 15th March so I hope that's still available. My boyfriend is taking time off work to take me as I can't afford to waste money on a train ticket and I'm really not a confident driver on motorways.
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport