PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• foreverskint
    Options
    davsidipp wrote:
    thanks wizzkid i havent seen malt extract for years and didnt know they still made it where do you buy it from?

My local chemist sells malt extract in jars.

Keep forgetting to buy some and I loooooovvvveee it:j
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    I want to have a go at making the banana flapjacks recipe that someone posted recently and one of the ingredients is muscovado sugar. I have some light brown soft sugar in the cupboard left over from last years Xmas cake and I was wondering if it would be any good to use that instead or should I go out and buy the real stuff? Also will the old stuff still be ok? theres no use by date on the pack.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • ellas9602
    Options
    Hi Suep

Sugar doesn't really go out of date. I'd use the sugar that you have, it'll be fine.

Only my opinion someone who knows better may tell you different
    good luck
    :beer:
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks ella9602, I thought it would be ok, just wanted to check. I hate to see the old stuf going to waste in the cupboard and don't want to buy anything new unless I really have to.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with ella - use what you've got.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • tomstickland
    Options
    I thought I'd have a go at one of the basic flapjack recipes that's on this site.
    Seemed very simple; melted half a pack of butter, stirred in porrige oats, added a small amount of golden syrup. Disgusting stuff syrup, so I thought I'd go for minimal sugar flapjacks. Turns out that the sugar is quite important. After baking for 15 minutes I now have a tray of loose baked porrige oats. They taste quite nice, but not really what I wanted. Interesting experiment though.
    Happy chappy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tom,

Did you let them cool?

The first time I made them, I tried to cut them before they cooled and they were a bit like you describe, so I scooped them all up, shoved them back together again and let them cool......a lovely block of flapjack that I then cut into slices.

Pink
  • tomstickland
    Options
    Ah right, I'll go and take a look. I suppose the buttery part has to solidify.

No, it's still a tray of golden roast oats.

Must be the sugar, surely. Or too many oats and not enough butter?
    What sort of consistancy should the mix be before cooking?
    Happy chappy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good science lesson this.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    when I was at Junior school we had to take in everything for our recipes..even the baking dish, tee towel and washing up liquid. A lad in my class thought that the washing up liquid was part of the recipe....it was hilarious when he got his bubbling flapjack out of the oven!!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure