PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Butter when melted won't harden, syrup when heated won't harden, porridge oats when cooked don't stick together but SUGAR..... sugar when heated goes all sticky when heated and the longer it's heated for the harder it sets.

The sugar is important ;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didnt mean it to sound cheeky..just if you had the notion for oats without the sweetness porridge would have been ideal.
    The syrup binds the flapjacks together due to the chemical reaction the sugar in it has when it carmelises/melts.
    Good luck with tomorrows attempts.
    C x
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I'm on a low-sugar diet for medical reasons, but I do like flapjacks, so I'd be interested to know if they can work without sugar.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alternatively, would make a lovely muesli style breakfast topping - save wasting it?

tom, ive found in the past that unless i follow the reciipe to the letter, flapjacks just dont work for me. perhaps you're just going to have to be an unhealthy, sugar fueled flapjack eater like the rest of us? :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • tomstickland
    Options
    The syrup binds the flapjacks together due to the chemical reaction the sugar in it has when it carmelises/melts.
    Excellent, just what I wanted to know.

The way to do it, I think, would be to reduce the sugar content with each batch until one day I end back where I am now.
    Happy chappy
  • highland
    Options
    If its the oatyness (sp) your after how about a cheese flapjack we havent made them but gf used to get them in a veggie cafe swears they were yum. Found a recipe in Delias forum might be worth a try http://www.deliaonline.com/messageboard/22/30223/thread.html
  • SnowyOwl_2
    Options
    Tom, you might like www.cookingforengineers.com.

SnowyOwl
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent, just what I wanted to know.

Oh yes don't thank me *humph* I'll just offer my flapjacking advice and you can ignore my sugary wisdom! :rolleyes:

:D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• I always make flapjacks without sugar and they are always fine. I use oats, Stork margarine (the hard stuff not the soft spreadable one), a little bit of syrup and Splenda, and then I throw in dried fruit or sometimes I use a packet of muelsi instead of the oats. The most important ingredient I think is a half tsp of salt - Nigel Slater said this on his TV show and after I tried it I had to agree - it makes them extra specially nice!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • foreverskint
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    Tom, you might like www.cookingforengineers.com.

SnowyOwl

See now you've done it:p

The recipe for chocolate chip cookies on the first page. OMG I am just going to have to try those.

I will be as big as a house soon:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport