PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flapjacks

Options
Please help,

I want to make flapjacks :D

Not just any old flapjack but nice ones :-/

I've bought them in the supermarkets and cake shops.

But they are nothing like they used to be :-/

They are soggy and sickly :-[

I want proper flapjacks like my gran used to make ::)

I've got the basic recipe stuff (preparations for a banquet, it is not ;D ;D)

But has anyone got any tips .............to make them chewy/crunchy..............not soggy ;)

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its all in the temperature Traff

http://duramecho.com/Food/Flapjack/

Put margarine, golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.
    Meanwhile line the baking tin with greaseproof paper.
    Mix all the oats into the liquid.

Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.
    Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4) for 25 to 30 minutes. Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.

Slice into 8 fingers  before it sets but leave in place in tin.
    Leave to cool and set.

for a
    Crunchy Flapjack
    The recipe is identical to chewy version but cook at 15 deg (one Gas Mark) hotter.

The chewy and brittle versions can be make simultaneously from the same mix by baking them on different shelves in the same oven provided the oven does not have a fan  by utilising the temperature differences between shelves.

In my gas oven, I can bake chewy flapjack on the middle shelve whilst baking brittle flapjack on the top shelf.
    The rolled oats are not vital. Flapjack can be made from pure porridge oats but the texture is less interesting. however, pure rolled oats does not work well because the resulting cake is very fragile.
    I have not calibrated my oven (I just relied on its thermostat) so please check your oven produces flapjack the way you like it and adjust the temperature accordingly before producing a big batch. My oven, being a gas one, reaches its final temperature quickly; if your is an electric one without a fan assist it will take far longer to warm up and save time & electricity by cooking as it warms up then the nominal settings may be very different.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brilliant,thanks cathy.............I can't stand the soggy ones ;D ;D
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Heck,just read the bottom part

I have a fan-assisted oven :-/

I'll do little testers tomorrow and see :)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tried these last night in elec oven (nt fan assisted) they did go crunchy ish. :-/
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    These are good! (even if I do say so myself!!) ;D
    4.5 oz/half cup butter
    2.75oz/thrid cup caster suage
    1 tbsp golden syrup
    12 oz/ 4 cups porridge oats
    2.75 oz / half cup chocolate chips
    1.75 oz / third cup sultanas

Lightly grease a shallow 8" square cake tin.
    Place butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan - cook over a low heat until butter and suagr melt and mixture is well combined.
    Remove from pan, stir in oats until well coated, add choccy chips and sultanas and make sure eveything is well coated.
    Turn into prepared tin and press down well.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes (about half that time for fan oven).
    Cool slightly then mark into squares, when almost cold cut into squares and transfer to wire rack.
    You can replace some of the oats with nuts, sunflowers seeds and extra dried fruit.
    Incidently - they are meant to keep for a week - I've never found out!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    did yours last night halloweenqueen, kids loved them. ;D but they all went in one sitting watchng a film and i got none. >:( thanks though. think'll make some more while they're at school. :D
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Glad you liked them - my yongest bought me a book from Tesco on cooking with chocolate (no interest to her you understand!). I have to admit she got a good deal the book was £2.99 and its excellent, she also bought me a DVD and ended up paying £4 - vouchers were printed off and used!!
    She has turned into my mini me - she knows which bits to go to for the reduced bargains and which tills are likely coupon takers, but loves the self serves as they take 6!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whats self serves??
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    The self serve checkouts- you scan your own shopping, clubcard and vouchers and then pay with a card or cash.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i can't use them, i always worry i missed something and will be arrested, so have only done it once, and then i scanned somethings twice and paid the extra. for a change in the flapjacks try runny honey instead of syrup. is lovel and sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure