PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• tomstickland
    Options
    Right, any idea why the flapjacks didn't jack the flap though?
    Happy chappy
  • SnowyOwl_2
    Options
    When I do it it's usually quite well bound together before it's cooked - a bit sticky I suppose, then press it firmly into the tin. Instructions usually say to let it cool in the tin, then cut it.

If it's not going to turn into flapjacks you could make it into muesli - chop up lots of fruit and chuck it in with some sultanas, seeds and nuts - whatever you've got in basically - serve with milk or yoghurt. Think that would be v.nice.
  • tomstickland
    Options
    Right, I think the mix was too oat-heavy before cooking. Needed more binding agent, aka butter. Tin pressing will also be sorted.
    I can see that cooking is just like being a builder really, and I just faffed up my first concrete mix. I'll get over it. Tomorrow I will make a test batch.

Do you think sugar-free flapjackage is possible?
    Happy chappy
  • monty100
    Options
    I think sugar-free flapjacks quite misses the point about flapjacks!!!!

ps. Have you tried honey instead of golden syrup???
    Taking control, slowly.:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • tomstickland
    Options
    I'm a big flapjack fan, and it's the oaty crumbliness that I crave, not sugar.

Anyway, let's keep the philosophy out of it until I actually manage to make one!
    Happy chappy
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm a big flapjack fan, and it's the oaty crumbliness that I crave, not sugar.

Anyway, let's keep the philosophy out of it until I actually manage to make one!

And it sounds like that is what you have got a whole load of crumbliness :D
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not make porridge without the milk or water?
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • tomstickland
    Options
    Why not make your sandwiches without the bread?

If you had a milk allergy, then you might try making porridge without the milk.
    If someone then came along and said "porridge doesn't work without the milk" then some progress would be made.

I'd like to separate the science from the personal things here. Does the sugar do anything to bind the mixture?
    I'll find out tomorrow.
    Happy chappy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right, I think the mix was too oat-heavy before cooking. Needed more binding agent, aka butter. Tin pressing will also be sorted.
    I can see that cooking is just like being a builder really, and I just faffed up my first concrete mix. I'll get over it. Tomorrow I will make a test batch.

Do you think sugar-free flapjackage is possible?

I agree.....sugar free flapjackage is sort of missing the point, although if you do come up with a recipe I'd love you to post it as I make them for my childrens lunchboxes, so the less sugar the better.

Anyway, back to your flopjacks ;) ......

Is it too late to stick them all back in the pan with a little more butter? Don't know if it would work, but got to be worth a try?

Pink
  • tomstickland
    Options
    Nah, thanks, I'll eat the remnants anyway, because they taste pretty good.
    Tomorrow I will do some trials.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family