Nibe Fighter 360p ashp costing me loads to run

Options

Comments

• Johnandabby
    Options
    T_Wilson wrote: »
    Has anyone had an error message on their Nibe saying 'Low Exhaust'?

I'm getting this and it will only stay in full winter mode

Do you clean the filter regularly? If this gets blocked then the exhaust rate drops which then means that the unit can't pick up enough heat from the air.

Or have you closed off the extract grilles in any rooms, which would have the same effect?
  • T_Wilson
    T_Wilson Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March 2013 at 1:46PM
    Options
    It is a bit cold and damp at the moment - can you by any chance put a thermometer in the exhaust from the NIBE and tell us the temperature of the exhaust and the external temperature, [and your internal temperature if you want] when it is running on winter setting..

Hi, unfortunately I don't have a thermometer

One thing I would say is that it has been noticeably colder leading up to this. We live in a third floor flat and have been battered by icey chilled wind all week. Would that affect it?
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    Do you clean the filter regularly? If this gets blocked then the exhaust rate drops which then means that the unit can't pick up enough heat from the air.

Or have you closed off the extract grilles in any rooms, which would have the same effect?

Hi, I always clean the filter when I receive the alarm. There never seems to be much on there at all to be honest but I do always clean it

I've checked all the grills and there are no blockages. Did the tissue test and they are sucking through for sure.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2013 at 3:14PM
    Options
    T_Wilson wrote: »
    Hi, unfortunately I don't have a thermometer

One thing I would say is that it has been noticeably colder leading up to this. We live in a third floor flat and have been battered by icey chilled wind all week. Would that affect it?

Wind not only blows on one side of a building but more importantly sucks on the other side. Locally we have a multi story block of flats on stilts. The effect is so powerful that you can be sucked or blown off your feet. When tiles come off a home they tend to lift off the suction side of the building.
    Mind you with a heat pump only the vents should be allowing ANY air changes in the home, everything else including any doors leading from the dwelling should be sealed.

The back of your hand and/or some cigarette smoke should reveal any breaks in the membrane round your dwelling, in the present Siberian blast, without resorting to the official test gear.

pic10.jpg
    It cannot be redeveloped, because it is "listed"
    2257387.jpg?type=articleLandscape
  • T_Wilson
    Options
    How the heck is that building listed? :(
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 25 March 2013 at 4:42AM
    Options
    Here in the link and on the photo below is a view from the other side of the block.

To a certain extent mass housing does depend on the quality of its tenants as evidenced by the article in the link below. NIBE will try to play that card too.

The guy in the photo above is standing on a raised walkway and explaining that sometime-never the stilts will be glassed in.
    Talking about things being "glassed", I wondered if the Glaswegian complaining about leaking lift shafts in the article, had accurately identified the source of the moisture shorting the electrics. My thought was, recycled Tennants lager?
    There was a problem like that with this town's mascot: it is a fountain featuring "single mother and child" of bronze and must be worth a bob or two at present scrap prices. Originally the kid was meant to have a father too, but he was judged to be too expensive to take up residence...you could not make it up.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jun/11/basil.spence.architecture
    PICT2247.JPG
  • lovesfarmbpha
    Options
    The BBC and Angela Rippon have been interviewing different residents from around the country for the one show that will be aired next Wednesday at 7pm on BBC1 . The one show has 5 million viewers.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Do you mean today ?
  • lardconcepts
    lardconcepts Posts: 64 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2013 at 7:28PM
    Options

Thanks. This is shocking, but not surprising. The residents on the mother-in-law's sheltered housing estate are also starting to find that the "reduced bills" are anything but. Apparently there's a meeting this week or next - I'll try and get some figures. But they're pretty high by all accounts.

NIBE, and others including installers, don't help themselves though.

I was told by NIBE and the installer that I would be "better off" to move from an off-peak tariff to a flat rate. That would have been disastrous and extremely costly for us, but it's also what the MOL has been told. OK, ours is a plain ASHP not an exhaust system.

I've also seen this bad advice repeated right here in the forum. It's like the myth of "leaving the heating on all the time is cheaper than just heating the house when you're there". It defies all laws of physics and economics. Anything above 10% off-peak means you'd be better off on an off-peak tariff. Even if it ran on an even on/off spread throughout 24 hours (which it wouldn't, of course), then I'm sure even Gordon Brown could figure out that's over 30%.

And in the case of the "better off on flat rate" myth, if the specifiers and installers are that stupid, then it's no wonder they're installing the wrong systems and configuring them incorrectly.

The second thing here is... if I were the residents, I'd be submitting an FOI request for as much detail as possible on who at the residents association accepted the idea of installing these EHPs, what they were told, what guarantees were put in place to promise lower bills, what assumptions were made. I'd be smelling strong suspicion of a scam or backhander right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure