VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Options

Comments

• wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys

Does anyone offer a re-glazing service for rimless glasses?

Anyone had this done and any idea of cost?

Thanks

WJUK
  • skull
    skull Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, and not recommending as I am not in the market for new specs and don't know what the service etc is like, but on MSN I saw this and thought I'd pass the info on for those who may be interested, as I say don't know what they are like so please don't shoot the messenger :

'
    Glasses Direct have taken value to a whole new level with the Free Glasses for Life prize draw. Up to 8 lucky winners will win a new pair of prescription glasses every year for the rest of their lives.

Winners can choose any one of the hundreds of styles in the Glasses Direct own-brand range once a year. Glasses Direct will expertly make them up to the winner’s prescription with their choice of lenses and coatings - saving thousands of pounds! The draws take place weekly over the next four weeks from 13th May to 3rd June.

Win free prescription glasses for life '

May be ok, may not be and a long shot for sure but up to you if you want to try.

~ skull
  • sweetstudent
    sweetstudent Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    I have just paid £99 (it should have been more but i got a £45 CLBP and my works vdu voucher off) i am more than happy to buy them in person and "pay overpriced" for the frames, i know i am see a trained person.

In my case the optician explained to me that the length of the frame affects the thinkness of the lens, and was telling me that even though the rimless ones had 1.6 thiness he advised 1.67 because they are clearer and stronger. the adviser even mangeed to get the len made small as i prefer small frames and that way the lens would be thinner.

Now, i dont see any internet opticans having that much service and the fact that i can go back and get them readjusted, you cant do that online can you?

he also told me, because i mentioned online, he was saying that they had a lady in who brought frames online and she had been to several places and no optican would help her!

I am in no way affliated to specsavers or any optican!!!!!
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just wanted to say that i bought some glasses from glasses direct last June, they were only £18.00 delivered! I got them from there as i only need them for reading and sometimes computer work, they are only a very small prescription so i would not pay the price of at least £70.00 for a pair of specs that i dont wear all the time. They are quite modern.trendy looking (!) and are the same sort of design that i would normally have to pay between £70 - £140 in the shops. To look at , my sepcs look just as good as the ones in the shops. However, one of the little plastic bit that sits on ya nose near ya eye on the specs fell off yesterday, dont know how, it seems to have snapped inside, some will say thats coz they are cheap cr*p!!! Ive just rung glasses direct and they are sending me a repair kit in the post, free of charge! It seems easy enough to repair. These online stores maybe ok for the smaller prescriptions, mine have lasted, and will probably last a lot longer once ive fixed them, over a year so far, I dont know about glasses for people who need a load of strength, but for the price and service, even if its just for spare pair, they are worth a go :D
  • deborahgreen_2
    Options
    Hey I too got my glassess from them and I liked it. Their service was very good and the glassess were also perfect exactly what i wanted. And the best part is I got the delivery in the time that they had mentioned.:j
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    A huge vote for ciliaryblue :beer: Had some lenses redone in some frames.

I am currently ordering from the giarre.com website and it comes with free lenses. It asks what axis system - Tabo or International. Anyone know what system we use in the UK? One measures from one point, another from another.

Thanks in advance
  • mbmb90
    mbmb90 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I've used glasses direct for three years and they have been really good, No problems, quick delivery, discount via Quidco too.
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I am a Ciliaryblue fan, great service. I too have ordered from Giarre - can't answer your question but I had a query, rang them and the guy was very helpful, plus he spoke great English, my specs arrived very quickly, exactly as described and half the cost than UK.
    SallyD
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Well finally the Giarre Oakleys arrived. They were very late in shipping so I chased them to be told the lens fitter is on holiday for a week and so my order would take a month in total to process. Anyway, they arrived earlier during this guys holiday. The arms are totally bent out of shape. When flat one bows out, the other is straight, and one sits a good half inch off a flat surface. I imagine this mustve hapened during the lens fitting process. Looks ridiculous on due to this. Even though it's free lenses from them, I wish I had purchased just the frames and then gone to ciliaryblue. Such a pain
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a pair of glasses from Glasses Direct a couple of years ago and was happy with the specs and only paid £24.
    Ive now had my eyes tested again and need new glasses so went back to their site to get the same ones again but with new lenses that I need, yet I cant get them for anywhere near £24. I think it was nearer to £50 so I am looking around to see what other companies make them cheap since I cant afford to pay so much and the optician glasses werent very nice.
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure