VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Options

Comments

• SargeH
    SargeH Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello,

I have bought my glasses from Glasses Direct twice now following a recent eye test.

I initially bought a pair of Single Vision Distance Glasses along with a pair of Single Vision Reading Glasses which I have been using for some months now and they are brilliant.I am not the most gentle person with my glasses and so far these glasses have stood the test of time very well in deed.I particularly like the way that the frames have not distoted at all.

I have now just purchased and received a pair of Single Vision Tinted Glasses for driving and the summertime(hopefully)with a pair of Single Vision Intermediate Glasses for my work with computers both at home and in my workplace.

Excellent value for money to the extent that other family members who need glasses are asking me if I would use the computer to order some for them as well.

SargeH

EJ wrote:
    Hi

I love this site so finally registered and making my first (hopefully of many!) post.

Glasses Direct has been in the news recently so there could already be a post about it (searched through to check but sorry if its already been done!)

Basically Glasses Direct can afford to do their glasses so cheaply as they don't have to fork out for expensive premises and staff etc so they can have lower overheads therefore lower prices (yippee!).

I've had a look and they have some nice designs - inc rimless ones (35 pounds inc frames + lens + case + delivery + guarantee).... they're the most expensive ones on there i think! :o

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk

Hope this helps some people!

Cheers,

EJ
  • beastoid_2
    beastoid_2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    My friend has a website selling glasses, www.iris.org.uk use the code 156459 for an extra 5% off your purchase.
    Steve Gerrard is a GOD
  • alivett
    Options
    I have just received mine 25.99USD paid via paypal. Sent from Pakistan. Lovely package including spare nose pads and tool. Prescription seems fine - rimless. I am amazed and delighted.
  • moaninmick
    moaninmick Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Ordered my glasses from https://www.iris.org.uk on Friday and they arrived on Saturday morning. Incredible service. Excellent value for £14.94. Thanks beastoid for the code and the info. They have offered another code 1564591 for a 5% discount.

moaninmick
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need a pair of prescription sunglasses and I need them in no more than 1 week - can anyone recommend a supplier that has fast shipping?
  • pongowaring
    Options
    I got mine in two days, the frame was only £15 but the tint was FREE. Specsavers charged me £90 for my last pair! :j
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks I'll call them tomorrow.

Anyone dealt with perfectspecs.co.uk? They seem to have a good selection.
  • terf
    terf Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I've got my frames, just need some prescription lenses. Anyone know of any sites offering good deals on these? Thanks
  • Little_Miss_Road_Rage
    Options
    Hiya I am a qualified dispensing optician and i know specs are way too expensive. I am considering getting my partner a pair of specs from one of these sites so I can see wot they're like. I can take them into work and check the prescription and glazing etc.
    With prescriptions over +/- 5 the measurements need to be spot on including the pupillary distance, the heights of the optical centres and the back vertex distance (distance from the pupil to the back of the spec lens). If these aren't right the specs will not work well. The measurements only need to be out 1mm and it will cause difficulty.
    With most normal prescriptions the measurements do not matter as much and can be out by a few more mm depening on the prescription.
    I personally would not buy specs from one of these internet places if I had a high prescription.
    Varifocals are very complicated lenses and I wouldn't recommend buying these online either. I take several measurements when fitting a varifocal and consider wot type of lens the person is wearing.
    Hope this helps.
    Kelly
  • Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya I am a qualified dispensing optician and i know specs are way too expensive. I am considering getting my partner a pair of specs from one of these sites so I can see wot they're like. I can take them into work and check the prescription and glazing etc.
    With prescriptions over +/- 5 the measurements need to be spot on including the pupillary distance, the heights of the optical centres and the back vertex distance (distance from the pupil to the back of the spec lens). If these aren't right the specs will not work well. The measurements only need to be out 1mm and it will cause difficulty.
    With most normal prescriptions the measurements do not matter as much and can be out by a few more mm depening on the prescription.
    I personally would not buy specs from one of these internet places if I had a high prescription.
    Varifocals are very complicated lenses and I wouldn't recommend buying these online either. I take several measurements when fitting a varifocal and consider wot type of lens the person is wearing.
    Hope this helps.
    Kelly

I was quite interested in your comments , and I wonder if I am missing something here. I have contact lenses and glasses and get regular check up from my optician to confirm that everything is ok . Surely , as a" milkbottle" glasses user , if I get correctly measured by my optician I can go ahead and purchase a pair of prescription sunglasses ,from the internet, without fear of damaging my eyes? I just understood from what you are saying that it may not be a safe to do this , or am I reading this wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure