Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) It's high noon on Sunday and a girl's mind turns to roast dinners. I adore roast beef and it's fine as a cold cut, but......there is another way, if you have leftover lovely rich gravy still in the jug.

:) Save the gravy in the fridge for the next day and pour over sliced beef in a shallow dish in a meduim oven. I swear this trick will revive 2 or even 3 day old cold beef into another hot dinner. Can't claim the credit for it as it was devised by the mother of a friend.

:D GQ philosophy; see a good idea and steal it! :whistle:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,619
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    I have only just posted a reply on another forum regarding cheap ways to clean clothes as I have also used the shampoo when, ahem, I have run out of laundry liquid!!!! I defy anyone to find a cheaper way to clean clothes. Works a treat too!

Does cheap shampoo create very much foam in the washing machine? That would be my only worry, but if it doesn't then it's probably a lot cheaper than the dedicated liquid washing machine liquids that are available.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Primrose wrote: »
    Does cheap shampoo create very much foam in the washing machine? That would be my only worry, but if it doesn't then it's probably a lot cheaper than the dedicated liquid washing machine liquids that are available.

Not at all! It foams as much as regular laundry liquid although I use a slightly less amount in the drawer.

For 28p a litre, it's shockingly economical but effective! Soap is soap whatever the form it takes.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,453
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)

:) Save the gravy in the fridge for the next day and pour over sliced beef in a shallow dish in a meduim oven. I swear this trick will revive 2 or even 3 day old cold beef into another hot dinner. Can't claim the credit for it as it was devised by the mother of a friend.

:D GQ philosophy; see a good idea and steal it! :whistle:

All the best ideas are stolen!
    I think most of the Grandmothers here were doing that with the beef and gravy their mums.... I know mine was!!

I used to love cold sliced roast beef with mash spud and gravy or pickle - yum
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,453
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not at all! It foams as much as regular laundry liquid although I use a slightly less amount in the drawer.

For 28p a litre, it's shockingly economical but effective! Soap is soap whatever the form it takes.

I've used hair conditioner before instead of the usual one!!!!
    Not so great though as you need more conditioner because of the amount of water it has to mix into.
    But I was having a sort out of odd leftovers in bottles and thought i'd give it a try!

Not sure i'd like to try using laundry conditioner on my hair though........
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • jumblejack
    I've used hair conditioner before instead of the usual one!!!!
    Not so great though as you need more conditioner because of the amount of water it has to mix into.
    But I was having a sort out of odd leftovers in bottles and thought i'd give it a try!

Not sure i'd like to try using laundry conditioner on my hair though........

I'D never have thought of using value hair conditioner as a fabric conditioner. Nice one! Mind you, I never use fabric conditioner anyway. I love to 'exfoliate' when drying myself off with a towel that has been freshly laundered and hung out to dry on the line. You know how it is, you go out to get the laundry in and have to bend the towels, jeans, etc like you are bending cardboard! I reckon towels are more absorbent that way, lol!

Ps, I noticed your signature, we also home teach!!
  • Jammygal
    Jammygal Posts: 1,213
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use plastic gloves from the garage for dying my hair ;)
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite

I have a large bottle of mr s basics bubble bath that cost about 18p would that work too do you think? I was going to make some powder myself and never thought of this:D..I refuse (nor can afford!) to pay the crazy prise rises on laundry products over the past 2 months:eek:!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • jumblejack
    Yep, it would work but would probably lather more generously being 'bubble' bath. When it runs out get the large value shampoo to try!
  • When my boys were smaller they went through a stage of 'not liking' value cereal anymore and could they have ke//ogs or whatever. Of course i agreed,bought some tupperware style cereal containers,filled them up with value cereal and told them it was the ke//ogs.
    my eldest boys are now 21,and 19 and still none the wiser
    sealed pot challenge member 1063..pot emptied to go toward credit card.new pot started 27/3.;)

march grocery spend £480:eek:
    April budget £310..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family